Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Workflow suggestions in light of current software  (Read 2898 times)

jljonathan

Workflow suggestions in light of current software
« on: November 12, 2009, 12:40:44 pm »

I am trying to nail down a workflow that is compatible with current software. After reading through many posts, I'm finding that most of the workflow scemes that appeal to me are based on software available years ago. At present, I'm using ACR for raw processing, including capture sharperning, and then opening in PS CS4 for continued work and final output sharpening ( based on USM/High Pass actions taken from ideas introduced by Bruce Fraser) before printing. In light of the current state of the software available, can I get some suggestions for  improvements to my workflow, ie. using Lightroom or PKSharpen for output. (At present, using the one size fits all USM/High Pass actions for this step, I am never confident that I have sharpened properly)
Thanks
Jonathan

DarkPenguin

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 01:50:00 pm »

Use lightroom.

francois

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 01:55:03 pm »

Download Lightroom 2.5 and try it. You can also download Lightroom 3 beta and test it until next April. Capture and output sharpening are based on Bruce Fraser's work on the subject.
Francois

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 02:17:02 pm »

Quote from: jljonathan
I am trying to nail down a workflow that is compatible with current software. After reading through many posts, I'm finding that most of the workflow scemes that appeal to me are based on software available years ago. At present, I'm using ACR for raw processing, including capture sharperning, and then opening in PS CS4 for continued work and final output sharpening ( based on USM/High Pass actions taken from ideas introduced by Bruce Fraser) before printing. In light of the current state of the software available, can I get some suggestions for  improvements to my workflow, ie. using Lightroom or PKSharpen for output. (At present, using the one size fits all USM/High Pass actions for this step, I am never confident that I have sharpened properly)
Thanks
Jonathan

It depends to some extent on the nature of your work. If you can give each photo individual attention, I suggest the following, which works well for me (this is for print output).

1) Do everything you can in Lightroom, but not sharpening (set to 0).
2) Open in PS and apply capture sharpening using PK Sharpener. Flatten image.
3) Apply other PS manipulations as desired including any localized sharpening.
4) Size (but don't resample) image to desired print size.
5) If DPI < 180, upsample using tool of choice.
6) Apply output sharpening using PK Sharpener.

My full workflow is available on my web site (below), perhaps it will give you some ideas.

Adam L

• http://adamlozo.com
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 02:20:57 pm »

Peter, I'm surprised about your comment on not sharpening in Lightroom.  I'm under the impression that it uses the same PK sharpening embedded in Lightroom.  Am I incorrect?  What is the benefit in using PS over LR?
"That's a lot of money to move a few pix

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 06:08:29 pm »

Adam,

See this thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/511790?tstart=0

Never mind the exchange I had with Mr. Schewe. It's a long story.

Notice the two different textures in the image sample provided. Many have complained about this but it only shows up or becomes more pronounced on images depending on focal length, size of texture and resolution.

It doesn't show up on a print.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 06:12:51 pm »

Quote from: Adam L
Peter, I'm surprised about your comment on not sharpening in Lightroom.  I'm under the impression that it uses the same PK sharpening embedded in Lightroom.  Am I incorrect?  What is the benefit in using PS over LR?

I don't know that there's an advantage to sharpening in PS instead of LR, it just suits my workflow better - all sharpening in PS rather than some in LR and some in PS.
Pages: [1]   Go Up