Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which storge media for D60  (Read 2654 times)

dbarthel

Which storge media for D60
« on: October 30, 2002, 03:10:55 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']I've been using an IBM 1 GB Microdrive with my D60. Holds 135 raw images. Very long downloads directly from the camera, so be sure to get a reader of some sort for your computer.[/font]

Pete

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2002, 05:55:19 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']I'm also a D60 user with a 1GB microdrive, been using them since May and have had no problams with either.  A CF reader is, as others said, strongly suggested.  If I shoot Large/Fine JPEGS, I can fit about 370 (usually at 400 iso), and with a Dazzle CF reader (about $25), a 100 to 150 images takes 3 or 4 minutes to transfer onto my pc.  Considering that I'm only using my digital equipment for personal and not professional use, I find this quite acceptable.  Good luck and happy shooting!

Pete[/font]

wardworld

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2002, 01:28:26 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']I might also add to carefully instruct the students in the use of the hardware....I taught journalism and we had 3 Nikon Coolpix 9xx...and everyone of them ended up with the battery door being busted. Nikon REQUIRED the entire battery unit be replaced and of course they were not under warranty. (I can make somebody a good deal on these, btw)
Now, my D60 (and D30 for that matter) battery door seems much more rugged, but I also know (been teaching high school for 15 years) that as Erin said, "students are hard on equipment."
I currently teach a video production class and they're just has hard on digital video cameras :laugh:
-Daryl[/font]

Tillman Kleinhans

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2002, 01:51:58 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']I'm fortunate to be a Physics teacher with responsibility for  school photography and digital imaging, who has a headmaster that is keen on modern technology.  When I was discussing recent cameras with him he wanted to know if the school owned one these marvels, when I said no, he suggested we buy one!  Consequently, I've ordered a D60 (I'm an EOS user) but I am unsure of what storage media to get.

Which are best, CF cards or microdrives, in terms of reliability and speed of writing to?

Any help or advice will very appreciated.

Tillman
http://www.tkimages.co.uk[/font]

Roger_Cavanagh

• www.rogercavanagh.com
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2002, 03:59:57 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']Tillman,

There's good info in these articles:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/media/compactflash/
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/mediacompare/

Personally, I've been using 1gb microdrives with my D30 for 18 months with no problems.

Regards,[/font]
Roger

Erin

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2002, 05:44:51 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']If the camera is to be used by students and the storage card removed from the camera and inserted into a card reader to download images, I would suggest several 256 megabyte compact flash cards of a proven make (Lexar and Ridata are well regarded) this type of storage media is quite robust. I have tutored photography to High school students and they are generally hard on equipment, a microdrive is a relatively fragile device when removed from the camera, a short drop onto a hard surface will terminate one. Be sure to explain clearly how the card is inserted into the camera so the pins in the camera locate in the holes in the card. When we had point and shoots at the newspaper for the reporters to use from a pool, they tried to incorrectly insert the cards and bent the pins in the cameras, requiring the cameras to be sent back for repair and thus out of commission for at least a couple of weeks. my two cents worth anyway. Erin[/font]

Tillman Kleinhans

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2002, 03:30:17 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']With regard to student use, very few students will actually use the D60 unsupervised, we have a Fuji 2400 and, now, an E-10 for their use.  However, I'm moving towards cards rather than microdrives, because of the 'eggs in a basket' syndrome.  I fancy a couple of 512Mb cards, I know its more expensive, but I think it is more robust.

I've just picked up the camera today, 4 days from ordering one (!) and I'm surprised how sturdy it feels, more solid than my EOS5 but less so than my EOS3.  I bought a 128Mb Sandisk card to try and I'll see how that fares for a week or two before making the final descision on storage media.

Must get another battery and battery grip.

Thanks to all who have so far, more experiences, info etc would be welcome.

Tillman
http://www.tkimages.co.uk[/font]
Pages: [1]   Go Up