Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Web Site Issues  (Read 1596 times)

John Chayka

• chaykaphotography.com
Web Site Issues
« on: November 12, 2009, 01:37:33 am »

Does anyone have any web expertise- or could they direct me to links. I used a plug in for Lightroom- "Lightroom Galleries" and though I like the general format - I want to substantiall enhance the format. Specfically I want to
(1) Add a counter to see how many hits I get - some have counters for indivdiual pixs - which may be Ok
(2) Add a comment method where folks can comment on indidviual pictures and also comment on the overall site
(3) Add links
(4) Twitter link
(5) Current blog is limited in space
(6) Ensure pictures fit in and maximize the viewing area - from 13" laptop monitors to 22" full res monitors
(7) Set up the site so it shows up in Google searches

It was  alot of work getting the site up - and I'd rather be taking pix than learning web code

Thanks a MILLION if you could help with any of the abovbe, willingto pay if you are a programmer

John Chayka
ChaykaPhotography.com
jchayka@rcn.com
Regards, John Chayka     www.ChaykaPhotography.com

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
Web Site Issues
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 03:23:32 am »

Quote from: John Chayka
Does anyone have any web expertise- or could they direct me to links. I used a plug in for Lightroom- "Lightroom Galleries" and though I like the general format - I want to substantiall enhance the format. Specfically I want to
(1) Add a counter to see how many hits I get - some have counters for indivdiual pixs - which may be Ok
(2) Add a comment method where folks can comment on indidviual pictures and also comment on the overall site
(3) Add links
(4) Twitter link
(5) Current blog is limited in space
(6) Ensure pictures fit in and maximize the viewing area - from 13" laptop monitors to 22" full res monitors
(7) Set up the site so it shows up in Google searches

It was  alot of work getting the site up - and I'd rather be taking pix than learning web code

Thanks a MILLION if you could help with any of the abovbe, willingto pay if you are a programmer

John Chayka
ChaykaPhotography.com
jchayka@rcn.com

I checked the Lightroom Galleries website, and there were no samples or even a feature list, so it's unclear whether any of the items are natively supported, or whether you need to do it yourself.

I'm afraid your list of requirement above is so complicated it will take you quite a bit of time to learn how to design and write websites, or several hundred to (more likely) thousand+ euros to hire a web designer.

stewarthemley

Web Site Issues
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 04:13:39 am »

John, you could have a look at this thread:  http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=38621

I had similar needs and have decided to do it myself using Shutterbug (I think it's Mac only). It's proving to be really easy and believe me, if I can do it ANYONE can! There will be no more web designer bills, I can change it as often as I want, easily, and can respond instantly to any market forces I perceive. It took me only a morning to master, okay, come to grips with, the program. If you're on Windows I'm sure there will be equivalent progs to SB. Best of luck.

Brad Proctor

Web Site Issues
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 07:46:30 am »

I'd recommend using WordPress.  As a web programmer myself, It's my favorite to use whenever I can because it makes the job much easier.  At it's easy to update and maintain.  Everything that is on your wish list can be done with it without learning any web programming.  I'm not going to say it isn't time consuming, but I believe it will definitely be the easiest way to get a good looking website.

You can pick from thousands of different templates and plugins that will let you do everything that you want to do.

For the counter, I'd recommend using Google Analytics.  It's much more than a simple counter as it gives you all kinds of statistics and all you have to do to install it is copy and paste a piece of code at the bottom of each of your HTML pages.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 07:51:06 am by bproctor »
Brad Proctor
Pages: [1]   Go Up