Raw & Post Processing, Printing > Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks

What do you call your Fine Art Inkjet Prints?

<< < (2/7) > >>

neile:
I follow Brooks Jensen's lead here and go for "Pigment on paper", based on similar logic to what others have written above.

Neil

Geoff Wittig:

--- Quote from: Colorwave ---Unfortunately, I'm stuck with the term giclee in my market here in Hawaii for about 90% of the clients I print for.
--- End quote ---

My condolences.
A couple of years ago my wife & I were checking out booths at the yearly Clothesline art festival in Rochester. One of the exhibitors had some saccharine inkjet prints of flowers on canvas. I overheard her spiel to a potential customer, delivered in a dense Southern accent: "It's a special French process; it's called 'Zhee-Clay'". My wife dragged me out of the booth by the arm because I was having a hard time suppressing my instinctive laughter.

Honestly, I love inkjet prints on canvas for some images. But let's not be precious about it. Let's call the what they are.

bill t.:
Last time I was at Andrew Smith Gallery I saw several "Epson Pigment Prints" of well know images from Jerry Uelsmann, among others.  That's a little dated now, but that term was one of the first to lend a bit of legitimacy to inkjet fine art prints.  Does it really matter any more?  How about "photograph".  People are generally more interested in buying an image, than in buying an example of a particular media.  OK, there are exceptions, collectors and what not, but we concentrate on them too much.

Colorwave:

--- Quote from: Geoff Wittig ---My condolences.

"It's a special French process; it's called 'Zhee-Clay'".
--- End quote ---
Yeah, it's as french as the potatoes they serve at McDonalds.  I'd be so much more likely to endorse the word if there was a Pierre or Marcel in the early lore of inkjet printing, instead of a French-English dictionary.   Sigh.

On the use of a corporate brand in the process name, though, I have to hold my nose as well.  I don't think it adds anything to the perception of it being art vs .a commodity when you tag on a company's name.

howseth:
I have a gallery show, beginning tomorrow - I will be exhibiting inkjet (Z3100) pigment prints on rag paper - I am going, this time, with "Archival Pigment Print."

Howard

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version