Raw & Post Processing, Printing > Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks

What do you call your Fine Art Inkjet Prints?

<< < (7/7)

dkeyes:
Pigment Print.
I leave off the word "archival", since it is a subjective term. I see it done both ways in the museum and gallery world. (with and without "archival") I'll tell a client more about the paper, if asked, but don't label it that way because it's too much detail for me.

I think incorporating the name of the printer is just stupid. (Same goes for the use of the word "digital".) Akin to using the name of your paint brush for a painting.

MHMG:

--- Quote from: dkeyes ---Pigment Print.
I leave off the word "archival", since it is a subjective term. I see it done both ways in the museum and gallery world. (with and without "archival") I'll tell a client more about the paper, if asked, but don't label it that way because it's too much detail for me.
--- End quote ---

Yet there are historical print processes with vastly different underlying technologies such as tri-color carbro, collotypes, etc., that could also generically be called a "pigment print". Which begs the question: What is the aversion to calling an inkjet print made with pigmented inks a "pigmented inkjet print"? That would quickly allow the buyer to understand the true nature of the print production process, and its potential (although no guarantee) for longevity.  I suspect the term inkjet is being shoved under the bus because somehow "inkjet" has become associated with "cheap". Too bad. The fine art prints we are making with the latest inkjet technologies are impressive and inspiring on many levels. The term inkjet no longer deserves such second-class citizen status.

Alan Goldhammer:

--- Quote from: MHMG ---I suspect the term inkjet is being shoved under the bus because somehow "inkjet" has become associated with "cheap". Too bad. The fine art prints we are making with the latest inkjet technologies are impressive and inspiring on many levels. The term inkjet no longer deserves such second-class citizen status.
--- End quote ---
I couldn't agree more.  I have a mini gallery of my pictures in the hallway at work.  The other day the admin to our boss was up on the floor and saw the pictures.  She couldn't beleive the quality and when I told her the came from an inkjet printer she was surprised.  Most people are only familiar with low end color printers that have at best four colors.  I'm pretty clear with foks that these come from a photostylus inkjet printer (I believe those are Epson's terms).

mas55101:

--- Quote from: Dave Gurtcheff ---I went to a local museum, and saw a wonderful Photo Exhibit of B&W prints by a single photographer. Flush mounted uncropped traditional prints of all sizes (some from 35mm that were probably 20"x30"). Print quality was superb. Next to each print was the title, and "Silver Gelatin Print". I told my friends that was the "new word" for good old fashioned darkroom prints, that many of us made. I had a fully equipped darkroom for 50 years, and sold and exhibited  my traditional prints (both B&W and "C" prints). I have an opportunity to have an exhibit as well in the same museum. Apparently the Artist must specify the medium ("Oils on Canvas", "Silver Gelatin Print". etc). What do we call this new medium? "Digital Pigment Print"?? "Giclee Pigment Print", "Inkjet on Baryatta" (spelling?). I know there is possibly a snob appeal that would disfavor an ink jet print, but that aside, what have you called your work when faced with an important exhibit?
Thanks in advance      
Dave Gurtcheff
www.modernpictorials.com
--- End quote ---

Depending on what printer/ink combination and what paper you're using,  you could say carbon pigment (in the case of color) or simply carbon (if that's true) on "name paper here."  Or if using something like Cone(?) ink you could say Dye on...

Mine are mostly "Carbon Pigment on Museo Silver Rag" or in some cases "Carbon on Premiere Smooth BW."

I don't like to use the word archival.

Michael

Colorwave:

--- Quote from: mas55101 ---Depending on what printer/ink combination and what paper you're using,  you could say carbon pigment (in the case of color)...
Michael
--- End quote ---
I thought carbon was like Model T's, and only came in one color.  Black.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version