Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pricing usage rights  (Read 2176 times)

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
Pricing usage rights
« on: November 10, 2009, 06:44:08 pm »

I was approached by a production company for usage rights for one of my photos. It is for TV and cinema ads for a tech company, possibly website, non-exclusive rights within Israel for six months. It's a "very low budget" one though it is for a Fortune 50 company.

The thing is, it's for the Israeli national market, so I have no clue where to even start with the pricing. Any suggestions?

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
Pricing usage rights
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 07:25:50 pm »

I have never, ever had a request for the use of my web images when it was not "low or no budget."  Don't people who have a some money ever put up web pages?  Apparently not.  Tell them you'll settle for 1/1000 their CEO's annual salary, per image, per web site.

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
Pricing usage rights
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 07:30:37 pm »

Quote from: bill t.
I have never, ever had a request for the use of my web images when it was not "low or no budget."  Don't people who have a some money ever put up web pages?  Apparently not.  Tell them you'll settle for 1/1000 their CEO's annual salary, per image, per web site.

I'm surprised they didn't go to a stock site - I guess I should be flattered

It's not web, it's for TV and cinema, and they want the full-res.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
Pricing usage rights
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 07:57:33 pm »

I shot a picture of a city skyline that was the view to be seen outside the window on a TV series.  I got $1000 for about a day's work plus a few hours interfacing with the mural printer, they got non-exclusive rights for the pilot episode.

If the series was picked up I would have got another $2000 but would have to transfer all rights to production company.  Never happened.  If you want a nice picture of the Albuquerque mountain skyline, gimme a ring.

The problem with these type of deals is that they can lead to complicated contracts that are more trouble than they are worth since you really need to have a lawyer review them, and negotiating any changes is a serious PITA.

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
Pricing usage rights
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 09:56:46 am »

Fortune 50 company with no budget for TV and web advertisements. Okay....

I suspect that Fotoquote will be of limited use to you in this specific case, but I went through and chose "regional" instead of "national" to limit the audience, since Israel is smaller than the US. Numbers are rounded.

Still used in TV ad for 6 months, range is $1700 to 3400.
Not sure on the Cinema ads, can't find a category.
Web site usage (on their own web site) ranges from $300 to $1500 per image
Web usage in an advertisement on other web sites ranges from $550 to $1750 per image

Note that these price ranges are what people are actually paying for these uses in the USA. Also, the uniqueness of your image comes into play -- if you have the ONLY photo that they can use, the value of that is higher.

Good luck.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

Rob C

Pricing usage rights
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 10:36:33 am »

[quote name='feppe' date='Nov 11 2009, 01:30 AM' post='324091']
I'm surprised they didn't go to a stock site - I guess I should be flattered

Don't count dem chicks yet: they might have had to pay twenty cents on a stock site!

;-)

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up