Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rollei Hy6  (Read 6994 times)

Ed Jack

Rollei Hy6
« on: November 09, 2009, 01:55:01 pm »

Can I please have user opinions of the Hy6 or the Sinar/Leaf varients thereof ?
I have been offered a Rollei Hy6 at a great price, but am wary of buying a discontinued item. I do not know if there is support for this camera anymore ?

I have demoed this camera before and was impressed with it, especially the lenses. I believe that this camera works well with many digital backs, more so than the Rollei 6008AF I believe.

What is the situation with digital backs and this camera, I mean new backs Like the Phase one P65/40 do not attach to this system do they ? That makes the AFi10 the last and most advanced back a Hy6 user could ever use doesn't it (not that I could afford one of those just yet)?
Maybe it doesn't even work on the Hy6, as maybe leaf backs are restricted to the Leaf varient ? I really don't know whether the Leaf/Sinar backs will work with all three derrivtives equally, i.e. can the Rollei camera (Hy6) use all the sinar AND leaf backs ? Surely its not a film only camera only ?

Ed

Ed Jack

Rollei Hy6
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 02:05:22 pm »

Woops, I just saw this thread:
http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....2&hl=rollei

hardly invalidates my request for current info!

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
Rollei Hy6
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 02:46:21 pm »

Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is:

If you want a Leaf back you might look for an AFi on the used market.   As far as I know Leaf backs can not be fit to the 6000 series bodies.
If you get the Hy6, as far as I know you will be limited to Sinar backs at present.  Sinar is the only group currently showing a forward path for the Hy6 - though hopefully Phase/Leaf will resume sales of the AFi.
If you select a 6008AF camera you could use certain Hasselblad, Phase, or Sinar backs (but not Leaf).  Hasselblad and Sinar backs are fit via an interchangeable adapter, while Phase backs must be bought in that mount for an extra fee ($3k).  Rollei Metic will do a conversion of a used phase back in Hass V mount for $3500.

All 6000 series lenses work on AFi and Hy6 (though some may require a firmware upgrade), but AFD lenses will not function 100% on the 6000 series cameras since aperture can not be set.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 08:14:33 pm by EricWHiss »
Rolleiflex USA

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
Rollei Hy6
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 05:44:59 pm »

Quote from: Ed Jack
Can I please have user opinions of the Hy6 or the Sinar/Leaf varients thereof ?
I have been offered a Rollei Hy6 at a great price, but am wary of buying a discontinued item. I do not know if there is support for this camera anymore ?

I have demoed this camera before and was impressed with it, especially the lenses. I believe that this camera works well with many digital backs, more so than the Rollei 6008AF I believe.

What is the situation with digital backs and this camera, I mean new backs Like the Phase one P65/40 do not attach to this system do they ? That makes the AFi10 the last and most advanced back a Hy6 user could ever use doesn't it (not that I could afford one of those just yet)?
Maybe it doesn't even work on the Hy6, as maybe leaf backs are restricted to the Leaf varient ? I really don't know whether the Leaf/Sinar backs will work with all three derrivtives equally, i.e. can the Rollei camera (Hy6) use all the sinar AND leaf backs ? Surely its not a film only camera only ?

Ed

If you can find a used AFi or AFi-II back then it'll work on the Hy6 just fine, the only (slight) issue being the fact that the body uses a Varta type battery while the back uses a Samsung type one. The body will power the back however the Samsung's capacity is a bit higher.
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

Graham Mitchell

Rollei Hy6
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 06:14:04 pm »

Quote from: Ed Jack
That makes the AFi10 the last and most advanced back a Hy6 user could ever use doesn't it

I would argue that the Sinar eSprit 65 LV is the most advanced back on the market (although not highest resolution) and that will fit the Hy6 with the relevant adapter.

The Hy6/AFi will work with certain Leaf backs produced in that mount, and all Sinar eMotion and eSprit backs.

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
Rollei Hy6
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 07:02:11 pm »

Quote from: foto-z
I would argue that the Sinar eSprit 65 LV is the most advanced back on the market (although not highest resolution) and that will fit the Hy6 with the relevant adapter.

The Hy6/AFi will work with certain Leaf backs produced in that mount, and all Sinar eMotion and eSprit backs.

Fact is that the AFi backs are no longer in production. Can anyone state/ prove otherwise about the eSprit?
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

Graham Mitchell

Rollei Hy6
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 07:30:17 pm »

Quote from: yaya
Fact is that the AFi backs are no longer in production. Can anyone state/ prove otherwise about the eSprit?

I have no idea but they don't stop working the day production stops so I'm not sure I see the relevance (and aren't these things usually produced in batches anyway?) They are still available new with 3 year warranties, afaik.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 07:30:43 pm by foto-z »

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
Rollei Hy6
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 08:13:36 pm »

Quote from: yaya
If you can find a used AFi or AFi-II back then it'll work on the Hy6 just fine, the only (slight) issue being the fact that the body uses a Varta type battery while the back uses a Samsung type one. The body will power the back however the Samsung's capacity is a bit higher.

Thanks - I didn't know that.  Will an AFI back mounted to a Sinar Hy6 record all the EXIF properly too?
Rolleiflex USA

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
Rollei Hy6
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 08:15:50 pm »

Does anyone have total production figures for AFi, Hy6?
Rolleiflex USA

bradleygibson

• http://GibsonPhotographic.com
Rollei Hy6
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 11:45:09 pm »

Quote from: EricWHiss
Thanks - I didn't know that.  Will an AFI back mounted to a Sinar Hy6 record all the EXIF properly too?

Eric, the Sinarback with a Sinar Hy6 didn't record all the EXIF info properly, so I wouldn't be surprised to find that the Leaf did the same (I also wouldn't be surprised to find that it worked better too.)

-Brad
 [url=http://GibsonPhotographic.com

rethmeier

• http://www.willemrethmeier.com
Rollei Hy6
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2009, 02:47:22 am »

Sinar has loads of Hy6 bodies in stock.
All they have to do make it work with Phase backs and they are on the home run.
The Hy6 is still a better option than any H1,PhaseOne body or Contax for that matter.

I had one for a while and only sold it because there was no wide apart from the o.k 40.

Cheers,
Willem.
Willem Rethmeier
www.willemrethmeier.com

rolleiflexpages

• http://www.rolleiflexpages.com
Rollei Hy6
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2009, 03:53:27 am »

I would not worry too much about the Hy6's future path. First of all, Sinar has indicated that it will continue support and is looking into future development. Second, after the demise of F&H the activities in Braunschweig have been continuing through DHW (details not yet fully known, but in any case with a smaller group of people). Third, while Leaf is no longer in the AFi business after the takeover by PhaseOne, the latter is examining the possibility of continuing this line of business. So, the overall picture -while not cristal clear yet- is not so bleak.

For what it is worth, I bought a new Rolleiflex Hy6 from F&H like a month ago. For the moment with film backs (regrettably only 4560 type but F&H is aware that there is quite some demand for a classic 6060 back). I am looking into the possibility of adding a digital back but that is not my priority right now since I use a Rollei DB20p (PhaseOne 20p) with my Rolleiflex 6008 AF.

The most elegant solution seems to be the Sinar eSprit 65. But also other Sinar backs will work fine (e.g. eMotion 75).

The most advanced Hy6/back combo would be the Leaf AFi-II 10 (very wide angle), but it is no longer officially offered by Leaf pending reassessment of the situation. Adding a stock Leaf Aptus back to the Hy6 may not work from what I see on the Leaf web pages. So, if you want a Leaf back, get one of the AFi combos (and you will save as well given that the camera body is almost offered for free in the combo price).

For some further information, see my web pages.

Pascal
Pascal Heyman - www.rolleiflexpages.com

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
Rollei Hy6
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2009, 12:13:53 pm »

Quote from: bradleygibson
Eric, the Sinarback with a Sinar Hy6 didn't record all the EXIF info properly, so I wouldn't be surprised to find that the Leaf did the same (I also wouldn't be surprised to find that it worked better too.)
Brad,
thanks for the info - coincidentally there is another thread running about missing or inaccurate EXIF with e75 backs on other cameras.  http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=38959

So I wonder if that issue was separate from the Hy6 platform?
Eric
Rolleiflex USA

bradleygibson

• http://GibsonPhotographic.com
Rollei Hy6
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2009, 10:46:17 pm »

That could very well be.  I couldn't believe a "new digital system from the ground up" couldn't handle EXIF data...  I tried many backs and many bodies, but all were of the same model.

Given that someone has confirmed that the AFI did record proper EXIF data, then yes, it sounds like the back was the problem, not the camera body.

While I had significant issues with the e75 workflow, the Hy6 was probably my favorite medium format camera for what I do.  I would probably opt for the AFI II 10 today if were I still dabbling...  

Best regards,
-Brad

Quote from: EricWHiss
Brad,
thanks for the info - coincidentally there is another thread running about missing or inaccurate EXIF with e75 backs on other cameras.  http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=38959

So I wonder if that issue was separate from the Hy6 platform?
Eric
-Brad
 [url=http://GibsonPhotographic.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up