Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: settling into a style  (Read 3589 times)

Rocco Penny

settling into a style
« on: November 09, 2009, 08:54:33 am »

I'm just now frustrated by my lack of imagination.
I'm photographing while out in the rural landscape surrounding my home.
That's it.
Really.
Finding wildlife or landscapes has been a snap.
I just value my solitude and pack a lunch.
Sometimes I'll fish while shooting, but mostly it's an active pursuit to just explore and maybe find a shot.
That's where I feel stuck.
Just not that linear with getting good at handling my equipment then applying it to some worthy pursuit.
So, has anyone got anything here?
ps:I'm sooo thankful for the opportunity
OK thanks
Rocco

russell a

• www.russarmstrong.com
settling into a style
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 11:30:13 am »

Quote from: Rocco Penny
 Rocco:  My advice is to read as much as you can about the Art Market, criticism, arcane theory, etc.  After a while you may decide that what you are doing now is just exactly fine.

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
settling into a style
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 11:59:18 am »

I'm just now frustrated by my lack of imagination.
I'm photographing while out in the rural landscape surrounding my home.
That's it.
Really.
Finding wildlife or landscapes has been a snap.
Sometimes I'll fish while shooting, but mostly it's an active pursuit to just explore and maybe find a shot.
That's where I feel stuck.
Just not that linear with getting good at handling my equipment then applying it to some worthy pursuit.
So, has anyone got anything here?
ps:I'm sooo thankful for the opportunity
OK thanks
Rocco

Many of the most successful photographers both financially and artistically (mind you, not necessarily correlated) concentrate on just one area or region. Many have created a career out of shooting at Yosemite or Thailand or rural England. Others have created careers spanning the entire globe.

My point being, don't worry about that too much and do what you enjoy or whatever pays the bills (if that's why you photograph). From your description it sounds like you really enjoy what you are doing already.

Then again, if you feel like you're in a rut, may I suggest a project. It can be something as simple as taking photos of all the streams in your area at dusk or shooting the four seasons of a particular barn, or as complicated as documenting all the birds in your area.

Rocco Penny

settling into a style
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 08:54:23 am »

Thanks for the replies.
I am pretty passionate about getting out in nature.
Just love the sights and sounds.
This is how I arrived at photography.
I kept seeing things I wanted to show others.
Now that I'm looking for exposures my expectations are higher.
Meaning there are untold millions of angles etc. just laying there.
I have been stuck in straight on look at this type of shooting.
I want more.
Some small bit of art would be nice.
OK thanks and hope this diatribe isn't offputting.
Rocco

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
settling into a style
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 10:25:17 pm »

Thanks for the replies.
I am pretty passionate about getting out in nature.
Just love the sights and sounds.
This is how I arrived at photography.
Now that I'm looking for exposures my expectations are higher.
Meaning there are untold millions of angles etc. just laying there.
I want more.
Some small bit of art would be nice.
OK thanks and hope this diatribe isn't offputting.
Rocco

A restless heart and the desire to be creative. They will drive you to the edges of the world and you will have no peace until you understand what you want to say.
What do you see that others do not?
How can you show them?
If one person in a thousand sees your photo and understands your intent, you are there.
If that photo is an object of beauty in their eyes, you have your small bit of art.
David

LoisWakeman

settling into a style
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 06:41:54 am »

Not at all - it is interesting to read about the development of others' visions.

I think the above part of what you said holds the key: you need to find ways of showing your vision that add some creative input to the image: not just the conventional scenic shot that anyone might take at a well-know viewpoint, but something that shows pre-visualisation and your own way of seeing the world. It takes a long time to do that (I am still on the journey and hope I never quite get there!).

Some techniques that I have found helpful include going to a familiar place over and over again and finding new things to record (the harder you look, the more you may find, and the more variations of light you get); taking a card with an appropriately proportioned rectangle cut out to use for instant framing (then you concentrate on the framing and not the camera controls); using a tripod which slows you down and helps you take more care over framing; going out and deciding you will only take, say, 10 shots and making each one count (no cheating and wiping them during the session!); or going out and only taking a different lens than usual (telephoto for landscapes for example). And the most important one of all - get your knees dirty! Eye level shots are often the least interesting, so get low, or scramble up a tree or rock if you don't happen to have a stepladder with you.

I could go on, but I think that's enough for one day. Good luck with finding your own style.

LoisWakeman

settling into a style
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 06:42:34 am »

Not at all - it is interesting to read about the development of others' visions.

I think the above part of what you said holds the key: you need to find ways of showing your vision that add some creative input to the image: not just the conventional scenic shot that anyone might take at a well-know viewpoint, but something that shows pre-visualisation and your own way of seeing the world. It takes a long time to do that (I am still on the journey and hope I never quite get there!).

Some techniques that I have found helpful include going to a familiar place over and over again and finding new things to record (the harder you look, the more you may find, and the more variations of light you get); taking a card with an appropriately proportioned rectangle cut out to use for instant framing (then you concentrate on the framing and not the camera controls); using a tripod which slows you down and helps you take more care over framing; going out and deciding you will only take, say, 10 shots and making each one count (no cheating and wiping them during the session!); or going out and only taking a different lens than usual (telephoto for landscapes for example). And the most important one of all - get your knees dirty! Eye level shots are often the least interesting, so get low, or scramble up a tree or rock if you don't happen to have a stepladder with you.

I could go on, but I think that's enough for one day. Good luck with finding your own style.

framah

settling into a style
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 03:03:05 pm »

Try taking a lens you don't normally use and work with only that one.   Also try sitting in one place and don't move. Just take in what is right around you and pretty soon, you will start seeing stuff you missed on first glance.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
settling into a style
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 06:54:37 pm »

Keep shooting until you come up with images that you honnestly and truly like yourself, don't give a damn about what others tell you.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 06:55:06 pm by BernardLanguillier »

Rocco Penny

settling into a style
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 12:39:08 am »

I think I have the same idea many of you seem to impart.
That is, I do have some original images now and there isn't anything holding me back,
it's just that when I go shooting I have a very predictable style.
No soaring views, or uplifting patterns or just you know,
zip and verve.
Just really everyday scenes of everyday events.
I want more.
My heart races when I'm shooting sometimes and I'm overwhelmed by what I'm seeing.
I bring the image home and open it and bwah-bwhunh there is a clear picture of a cormorant, or pelican or bobcat or hills or flowers or rocks or trees or butterflies...
Just boring sort of.
Behind the curve so to say.
I'm really happy with macro, and can see there are untold ways to shoot, I only know how to do one way sort of is what I'm saying.
I like the project suggestion above.
I'd go shoot just the sunset or sunrise or tidal shifts or any other thing I've done if I thought it might help.
I think surrounding myself with more creative types would too.
OK so lost dog looking for friends should be the title of this thread.
Hey thanks you all for the thoughts.
Rocco
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 12:41:00 am by Rocco Penny »
Pages: [1]   Go Up