Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CS3 vs CS4 HDR: a change?  (Read 2250 times)

walter.sk

CS3 vs CS4 HDR: a change?
« on: November 08, 2009, 10:42:12 am »

I've been using a couple of HDR programs for a while now, and decided to go back to Photoshop's Merge to HDR to see if my new skills make Photoshop's HDR work better for me than it had in the past.

I had tried it when I used CS3, and confess that I didn't really understand the various choices.  No longer haveing CS3 on the computer, I fired up CS4 and much to my surprise the only choice available in the Merge To HDR dialog concerned preset curves.  Gone were the choices of tone-mapping paradigms, and the resulting image was processed entirely automatically.

Did Adobe remove the HDR options from CS4 and make them available only in the CS4 extended version?  I really resent Adobe's splitting of the features, following the path of Microsoft with the multiple versions of each OS.

sniper

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 02:21:23 am »

Courious I was under the impression all versions of CS4 had the same HDR options, are the options limited by the file type maybe? are you converting to 16 or 8 bit?
I'm sure one of those with Adobe contacts will be better placed to advise you.

walter.sk

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 09:52:17 am »

Quote from: sniper
Courious I was under the impression all versions of CS4 had the same HDR options, are the options limited by the file type maybe? are you converting to 16 or 8 bit?
I'm sure one of those with Adobe contacts will be better placed to advise you.
I have tried with CR2 RAW files as well as 16 bit and 8 bit tiffs with the same results.

sniper

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 12:38:22 pm »

The thought just occured to me, the HDR window only makes the 32bit composite, you only get the tone mapping options when converting to 8 or 16 bit (image mode 16bit or whatever) is that where your getting the one tone mapping option? is the drop down option for the 4 tone mapping options (blue here) visible or is it greyed out?  
Wayne
Pages: [1]   Go Up