Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: issue with tether mode on AFDII + P45+ + CO 5  (Read 8093 times)

Mr. Rib

issue with tether mode on AFDII + P45+ + CO 5
« on: November 08, 2009, 07:22:17 am »

Hi,

I finally had the time to try shooting in tethered mode with AFDII and my new P45+ back in new C5 (DB version of program as I don't need it for different cameras). The problem is that in tethered mode, my Mamiya doesn't recognize the back ( I get the storDB error and when I want to shoot I get the -no db- error message). There are no problems when shooting to CF card. Any ideas what am I doing wrong ?
edit: Yes, I specified the capture folder and have plenty of free space at the hard drive.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 08:54:34 am by Mr. Rib »

Mr. Rib

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 06:30:43 pm »

I forgot to add that CO 5 recognizes the back and communication between the back and CO5 is established (for instance I can change the ISO values). However no possibility of capturing, live preview etc etc. Can anyone possibly verify whether the firewire icon on the P45+ display should be blinking (when in tethered mode) ?
One more thing, since I can't get any info on that- what is the latest P45+ firmware and may it be the case of not up-to-date P45+ firmware / AFDII firmware? My current P45+ firmware version is 2.9.8.

Final thought - I'm pondering that it's the problem with my Mamiya AFDII firmware version, not the back. Has anyone tried to shoot tethered with their AFDII in CO 5?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 06:51:04 pm by Mr. Rib »

Henry Goh

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 09:32:25 pm »

Would it not be better to ask your dealer?

clawery

• http://www.captureintegration.com  / www.chrislawery.com
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 05:14:16 pm »

Quote from: Henry Goh
Would it not be better to ask your dealer?

I'm not sure if we are your dealer, but let me see if I can assist.  Have you reset the default settings on your P45+?  Your P45+ may be set to not auto detect.  Go to Configuration, Restore Def. and press the green arrow.  

The second thing I would check is the connection between your P45+ and camera.  It is possible that you are not connecting properly on the camera side and thus giving you the error message.  If these don't work, I might suggest you contact your dealer.  If we are your dealer I can have Doug Peterson, our tech, contact you.

Chris Lawery
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 05:38:00 pm »

In the camera tab ensure that the camera is currently selected in the drop down listing the cameras connected.

When switching sessions or switching cameras, or in some very rare cases it seems for no reason at all, the camera will connect to C1 but not be selected as the current camera selected.

Doug Peterson

Mr. Rib

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 05:47:58 pm »

Hi Chris,

I contacted Phase One support with this matter and they helped me analize the situation. I managed to communicate the back with CO5 in tethered mode after few trials with different firewire adapters, restoring default settings on P45+ and changing the power source to battery. Unfortunately there still is a problem. The images I take in tethered mode appear in CO5 as totally black with a violet vertical stripe on the right, sometimes many stripes in the middle. The files I get in CO5 always look moreless the same, while the same shots previewed on the LCD screen of the back are OK. As a reminder- the images I take with storage set to CF card are good. Phase One analyzed one of such RAW files shot in tethered mode. Here is their message (pasted from my case opened on P1 website):

So the preview is OK
If you shoot to CF it is ok?

IN this case I can only presume the issue is with the interface.

I think at this point we must have the dealer involved, especially if it lead up to a service.

Kind Regards
Phase One Support

If you think there is something guys at the support dept might skip or didnt think about or if you experienced such a case before, let me know. Here is a link to the RAW file I gave to the support dept:

http://whatever.ling.pl/C1/captt40025162.IIQ

Obviously in current situation I contacted official polish Phase One partner. He'll help me to deal with this issue, but any feedback / ideas are welcome.

Ohhh, I almost forgot. When I first received this back (after giving up on Leaf 75 which had loose mount) I found out that something is rattling inside the digital back housing. To my surprise, this rattling thing was a little black screw which fell out from the gap between firewire port and the housing. Yes, I know, it sounds a bit hilarious. Anyway, I'm still not sure whether this is a part of the digital back. It could fall inside the back through the same gap before and now it simply fell out, but who knows..  the screw is about 1 mm thick (head appr 2 mm), its all black and it's head has "+" shape for screwing.
yeah, stick with me, I'm on the roll. Screws are coming out of my digital backs, sigh.

Quote from: clawery
I'm not sure if we are your dealer, but let me see if I can assist.  Have you reset the default settings on your P45+?  Your P45+ may be set to not auto detect.  Go to Configuration, Restore Def. and press the green arrow.  

The second thing I would check is the connection between your P45+ and camera.  It is possible that you are not connecting properly on the camera side and thus giving you the error message.  If these don't work, I might suggest you contact your dealer.  If we are your dealer I can have Doug Peterson, our tech, contact you.

Chris Lawery

Mr. Rib

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 05:49:54 pm »

Hi Doug,

The back is recognized by CO5 software. The communication is established as well. For instance, I can change ISO values in CO5 and my back adapts to the changes. I can also supply the power via firewire cable. Oh and please read what I wrote to Chris Lawery as it is current state of the issue..
Thank you for your help

Quote from: dougpetersonci
In the camera tab ensure that the camera is currently selected in the drop down listing the cameras connected.

When switching sessions or switching cameras, or in some very rare cases it seems for no reason at all, the camera will connect to C1 but not be selected as the current camera selected.

Doug Peterson
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 06:00:52 pm by Mr. Rib »

Doug Peterson

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 06:30:35 pm »

Quote from: Mr. Rib
The back is recognized by CO5 software. The communication is established as well. For instance, I can change ISO values in CO5 and my back adapts to the changes. I can also supply the power via firewire cable. Oh and please read what I wrote to Chris Lawery as it is current state of the issue..
Thank you for your help

Quite welcome, sorry it did not help. Reading what you wrote Chris above it sounds like you do need to work with your dealer as this may require a repair.

It sounds very strongly like an issue in the firewire path which means either the mac's FW port, the FW cable, or the FW port on the back. If you have a second computer, a second FW cable (best if it is the 15' cable Phase ships with the back) and/or could install version 3.7.9 or 4.8.3 it could further confirm if the issue is with the firewire port of the back or the mac or the cable.

Mr. Rib

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 06:39:14 pm »

Hi Doug,

I'd gladly upgrade my firmware to the up-to-date but to be honest, there is no link to any firmware upgrade available on the Phaseone website...In fact I investigated it in the beginning and the situation is a bit weird- people at the forum are asking questions regarding LATEST firmware version for their P45+ and they get no response. There is no download at the site neither. Only new version of software for P65+ and P40+ which doesnt work for other P+ series backs (tried it).
Well I hope it's just my firewire.. however I tried connecting with two different firewire adapters. There's a slight chance it's the cable, but the lead is strong enough to power the digital back so I guess it's not the case. I'll be checking everything with polish Phase One rep on his equipment to make things a bit more official. I hope it's not another damaged back... I lost so much time (and nerves) with Aptus just a while ago..

Quite welcome, sorry it did not help. Reading what you wrote Chris above it sounds like you do need to work with your dealer as this may require a repair.

It sounds very strongly like an issue in the firewire path which means either the mac's FW port, the FW cable, or the FW port on the back. If you have a second computer, a second FW cable (best if it is the 15' cable Phase ships with the back) and/or could install version 3.7.9 or 4.8.3 it could further confirm if the issue is with the firewire port of the back or the mac or the cable.

Snook

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 09:09:30 am »

I just tried a session with 5.0 tethered to a P30 and RZIID and not so successful.. first of all 2 images kept coming in of the same image??? wierd.
Also when I tried to throw the image in the trash the program would crash.
Also random crash when trying to sort it all out so I finally threw out 5.0 and re installed 4.8.3 for todays shoot as it all started with disaster...
I guess I will wait for 5.1 or 5.1.2
Again when I shot tethered to the camera 2 images would come in of the same image.....
Macbook Pro 10.5.7 4 gigs RAM with a SSD 40 gig card.

Anybody have any problems or success tethering with 5.0?
Woud like to hear if anybody has had any similar problems..
Thanks
Snook

Snook

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 11:32:54 am »

Quote from: Snook
I just tried a session with 5.0 tethered to a P30 and RZIID and not so successful.. first of all 2 images kept coming in of the same image??? wierd.
Also when I tried to throw the image in the trash the program would crash.
Also random crash when trying to sort it all out so I finally threw out 5.0 and re installed 4.8.3 for todays shoot as it all started with disaster...
I guess I will wait for 5.1 or 5.1.2
Again when I shot tethered to the camera 2 images would come in of the same image.....
Macbook Pro 10.5.7 4 gigs RAM with a SSD 40 gig card.

Anybody have any problems or success tethering with 5.0?
Woud like to hear if anybody has had any similar problems..
Thanks
Snook

BUMP... anybody shooting tethered with out problems with V5.0?
Thanks
Snook

Snook

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 08:47:07 am »

BUMP... anybody shooting tethered with out problems with V5.0?
Thanks
Snook
Another Bump up..Is nobody having troubles or are not many shooting tethered with 5.0,
or Does nobody really care about it...:+}
The phase Forums seem to be with out much information these days...
Thanks
Snook

rgold1963

• http://www.rongoldmanphotography.com
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 09:29:25 pm »

Another Bump up..Is nobody having troubles or are not many shooting tethered with 5.0,
or Does nobody really care about it...:+}
The phase Forums seem to be with out much information these days...
Thanks
Snook

I am having issues as well. I am working with Capture Integration and Phase at the moment to see if we can clear it up. My problem is different since I am working with a Vista 64 machine though.
I have an AFDII and P30+. When I connect the camera, C1 5 sees it and allows me to set the WB and ISO fine but won't let me capture any images. I get a "camera error" window in C5 and a "busydb" error in the viewfinder.  I have been going through the possible causes and it really looks like a driver issue.  I loaded C1 onto an old XP machine yesterday, plugged in the back and it worked fine.  I know that my camera/back and firewire cable are fine. I can not find anyone that is shooting tethered to a 64bit machine though to see if it's working for anyone else. It looks like I may need to buy a MAC but if there's problems shooting tethered with them too, then I will wait for Phase to fix the drivers.
Frustrating to have to use my 5DMKII(works perfectly tethered but no live preview) when I should be able to use my P30+.

Snook

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2009, 09:46:58 am »

Quote from: rgold1963
I am having issues as well. I am working with Capture Integration and Phase at the moment to see if we can clear it up. My problem is different since I am working with a Vista 64 machine though.
I have an AFDII and P30+. When I connect the camera, C1 5 sees it and allows me to set the WB and ISO fine but won't let me capture any images. I get a "camera error" window in C5 and a "busydb" error in the viewfinder.  I have been going through the possible causes and it really looks like a driver issue.  I loaded C1 onto an old XP machine yesterday, plugged in the back and it worked fine.  I know that my camera/back and firewire cable are fine. I can not find anyone that is shooting tethered to a 64bit machine though to see if it's working for anyone else. It looks like I may need to buy a MAC but if there's problems shooting tethered with them too, then I will wait for Phase to fix the drivers.
Frustrating to have to use my 5DMKII(works perfectly tethered but no live preview) when I should be able to use my P30+.

Finally someone answered...:+}
My problem was different and the phase forums there is not much at all... Strange thought more people would want to comment... it is  a shame because I loved the focus tool!!
I get 2 images coming in all the time and the program crashed a lot.. Mac OSX 10.5.7 here.
Maybe phase is scrambling around to fix things??

Cannot not figure out if people are just waiting for 5.1 to try it out or not many are having problems or alot had problems and went back like me and are wating for update, but sure is strange no mody is talking about it at all.  

The focus tool is a great upgrade and well awaited, I guess we'll have to wait a little longer for an update.

Thanks for sharing your problems.

PS. I have a P30 non + and it connected fine shot fine etc..

Snook

rgold1963

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2009, 01:35:00 pm »

Finally someone answered...:+}
My problem was different and the phase forums there is not much at all... Strange thought more people would want to comment... it is  a shame because I loved the focus tool!!
I get 2 images coming in all the time and the program crashed a lot.. Mac OSX 10.5.7 here.
Maybe phase is scrambling around to fix things??

Cannot not figure out if people are just waiting for 5.1 to try it out or not many are having problems or alot had problems and went back like me and are wating for update, but sure is strange no mody is talking about it at all.  

The focus tool is a great upgrade and well awaited, I guess we'll have to wait a little longer for an update.

Thanks for sharing your problems.

PS. I have a P30 non + and it connected fine shot fine etc..

Snook

Latest answer from Phase was to make sure I don't have more than "3.9GB" of RAM installed or to switch to WinXP. I pulled all but 2GB of RAM and it still shows the same error.
It seems strange that they can't come up with a driver that works. I have been waiting for 2 years for the solution and V5 was supposed to be it.  
I hate to replace my desktop and laptop just so I can shoot tethered with live preview which is one of the features that makes the back so attractive.

Ron

Ron

Jozef Zajaz

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2009, 03:03:24 pm »

Downgrade to co 4.0 as for now? Thats what i've done on my studio machine i use on critical jobs.

rgold1963

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2009, 03:44:07 pm »

Quote from: Jozef Zajaz
Downgrade to co 4.0 as for now? Thats what i've done on my studio machine i use on critical jobs.

So you have C1 4.0 running with vista 64? I will give it a try and see what happens.

Thanks,

Ron

Doug Peterson

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2009, 05:33:27 pm »

So you have C1 4.0 running with vista 64? I will give it a try and see what happens.

64 bit drivers for Phase One backs is only available with Capture One 5.0 and we have so few customers running Vista 64 or Windows 7 64 that I can't confirm or deny that this works in practice. Ron is our only customer (that I am aware of) who is trying to use this combination. There is a limitation on those drivers whereby the drivers only work if the computer has 4 or less gigs of ram. Note that there are many pieces of hardware, especially specialty hardware, which do not yet have 64 bit windows drivers.

Snook: I have no idea what issue you're experiencing. Since we're not recommending 5.0 for our customer's production machine yet I haven't spent an enormous amount of time, nor heard from many customers, regarding tethering experiences in 5.0 therein. The tests that I have run were successful and very solid (Nikon D3X, P30+H). Have you started a support case or worked at all with your dealer to troubleshoot or are you just banging your head against the wall?

Doug Peterson
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 05:36:43 pm by dougpetersonci »

Snook

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2009, 07:51:56 pm »

64 bit drivers for Phase One backs is only available with Capture One 5.0 and we have so few customers running Vista 64 or Windows 7 64 that I can't confirm or deny that this works in practice. Ron is our only customer (that I am aware of) who is trying to use this combination. There is a limitation on those drivers whereby the drivers only work if the computer has 4 or less gigs of ram. Note that there are many pieces of hardware, especially specialty hardware, which do not yet have 64 bit windows drivers.

Snook: I have no idea what issue you're experiencing. Since we're not recommending 5.0 for our customer's production machine yet I haven't spent an enormous amount of time, nor heard from many customers, regarding tethering experiences in 5.0 therein. The tests that I have run were successful and very solid (Nikon D3X, P30+H). Have you started a support case or worked at all with your dealer to troubleshoot or are you just banging your head against the wall?

Doug Peterson

Thanks Doug but no head banging, I uninstalled it after 20 minutes using it.. Just was wondering how others were getting along with it as I am anxiuos to use it as the focus tool and other new tools are interesting.
Thanks for the comment..
Any news for when 5.1 will come out? No need to do a case either as I never go to the phase forums as they are pretty useless.
Also I do not have a dealer as I bought used and my local dealer is not much helpas he just wants to sell me a new mamiya.
Just was wondering if anybody else was enjoying or able to use 5.0 with out problems or if anybody has te same problems as I do.
Not sure why double images would come in either...
Thanks
Snook
Pages: [1]   Go Up