Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Garmin eTrex Legend for Geotagging  (Read 4057 times)

Craddosk

Garmin eTrex Legend for Geotagging
« on: November 07, 2009, 08:07:02 pm »

So, family members are contemplating purchasing a Garmin eTrex Legend gps for me to use. This GPS is currently on sale for $110 (CAN). However, it has been discontinued by Garmin in favour of the eTrex Legend H, which, from my research, is the same machine/body, except for a high-sensitivity receiver, 24mb (vs 8mb) of built in memory, is geocaching friendly, and has outdoor game (irrelevant).

I plan to use this GPS for geotagging pictures, in addition to general hiking.

While the older Legend permit for geotagging? I have found no solid yes or no. Feel free to include any comments about both GPS's.

Both do not accept data cards, according to Garmin.

Websites for both are:
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=173#specsTab

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=&pID=30120

Peter McLennan

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 12:34:19 am »

Quote from: Craddosk
While the older Legend permit for geotagging? I have found no solid yes or no. Feel free to include any comments about both GPS's.

I had an Etrex Vista, but I gave it to my sister. I use my laptop for vehicle satnav with a USB patch antenna now

I see no reason why even the simplest GPS wouldn't do for geocaching.  All you need is the ability to determine your lat and long, plus some rudimentary compass functions.  What specific function are you looking for?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 12:34:42 am by Peter McLennan »

Craddosk

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 01:00:43 pm »

I'm looking to be able to set the camera to track, and then later on recover the track (with time stamps), and link it with pictures I've taken along route, inputting the lat/long into the EXIF. I'm wondering if either of these GPS's (specifically the older one) will allow me to do that.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 10:45:40 am »

Quote from: Craddosk
I'm looking to be able to set the camera to track, and then later on recover the track (with time stamps), and link it with pictures I've taken along route, inputting the lat/long into the EXIF. I'm wondering if either of these GPS's (specifically the older one) will allow me to do that.

I've never done this, but I believe that third party software will link the camera's EXIF time stamp data with the GPS track/time stamp data and allow you to update the camera EXIFs.  Sorry, I forget the name of the software, but GPS sites should have info.

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 04:18:04 pm »

Any GPS with a USB connection and tracklog download capability can be used for geotagging images.  I have been using the Garmin eTrex Vista HCx.  It is excellent.  While you may downplay the benefit of the enhanced sensitivity, I have been very impressed with my latest GPS.  It has been able to find it's location in the bottom of a bag on the floor of the back seat of my car.  It has gotten a satellite fix through a tiny window with blinds in my underground basement.  This is my third GPS, the first two were magellans.  I never really gave much thought to sensitivity as a critical feature, but you don't want to have to mount the GPS on your shoulders, or keep it on the dash of your car all the time.  We are weighed down with enough gear; you don't want to have to worry about the GPS all the time.  

I use the eTrex Vista HCX for downloadable maps, water navigation, hiking distance calculations, sunrise and sunset info, and for geotagging photos.  It works well.  

As for the memory difference.  It is pretty inexcusable for these manufacturers to be making 24MB devices.  You can download a decent number of maps for that price, but REALLY.  a 2GB card costs $8 RETAIL.  With 2GB I can download most of the North East coast of the US.  with my old GPS that had 24MB, I couldn't get all of Maryland.  

this one would give you a bitmore flexibility, though at a higher cost.  http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail....D=1257801415623
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

Brad Proctor

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 05:38:58 pm »

I have the older Garmin eTrex Legend  (I think that's what it's called anyway.  It's the yellow one  and I use it for geotagging.  I had to buy a special cable for it to connect to the a serial port ($10-15 USD).  I use EasyGPS to download the data and save it as a GPX file.  At that point I can run it through all sorts of programs such as geotagging my photos, loading it into Google Earth, etc.

Update:  Actually mine is the Garmin eTrex H which is even older and selling for only $65 now.  But if mine can do it I'm sure the eTrex Legend can too.  I believe that you will need this cable.  It didn't come included when I bought mine.  Here is a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-compatible-In...W/ref=pd_cp_e_1
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 05:51:26 pm by bproctor »
Brad Proctor
Pages: [1]   Go Up