Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Demolished place...  (Read 1812 times)

cmi

Demolished place...
« on: November 07, 2009, 06:07:25 pm »

A recent series of mine...
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 04:42:55 pm by cmi »

popnfresh

Demolished place...
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 11:08:09 am »

For me, the last one is the strongest composition. #3 could have worked, but it suffers from exposure and barrel distortion issues. The framing looks looks handheld, and I think a tripod would have helped you compose the shot better. Somehow, I feel the others need a bit more visual context. By themselves, the forms aren't quite interesting enough to make compelling images. You should check out the work of Robert Polidori and Chris Jordan--they're masters of photographing decayed buildings.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 11:13:07 am by popnfresh »

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Demolished place...
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 12:25:13 pm »

Christian, I agree with Pop, though I'd re-phrase my criticism of #3 to say that it has barrel distortion "problems" rather than "issues." I'd also add that when you're photographing ruins of any kind, context is always important.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

button

• http://
Demolished place...
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 10:23:06 am »

Christian, I looked at these when you posted them two weeks ago, and I should have replied then.  Oh well, better late than never...

Although I agree with the criticism of #3, I like them all.  Personally, I don't need any context for these to work.  I enjoy this sort of abstraction, and I take the images at face value: strong colors and lighting make them stand on their own.  Well done.

John

cmi

Demolished place...
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 09:12:47 am »

Thank you for your replies, much appreciated!

I did not suspect the thread would come up again - and the silence of course made me think about the weaknesses. In short, I left the tilted window because I felt it contributes to the overall look. I think I will correct it, it certainly won't hurt. I agree also with the critique of missing context, just these isolated views, nothing more, I have to agree, thats a bit unsatisfying. At shooting time I wasnt thinking about this at all, I had planned to just take details this day to see what would come out.

By the way, I did the blue cast to indicate that something is "wrong", disturbed, like a general feeling. But Im sure it can be interpreted in many different ways.

Special thanks to popnfresh for the mention of Robert Polidori and Chris Jordan, they have very interesting and inspiring work. (Conceptual-wise I like especially Chris Jordan's work.)

Christian
Pages: [1]   Go Up