Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printing with Lightroom 3b  (Read 1862 times)

schrodingerscat

Printing with Lightroom 3b
« on: November 07, 2009, 03:42:13 pm »

I've been stress testing an iMac 20" that I had just repaired, and figured I'd play a bit with Lightroom in the process. Having used PS since 7,  soft proofing has been about the only thing keeping me on that upgrade path. With LR 3 Beta, and rumors of soft proofing finally being implemented, now seemed like a good time to check it out.

After finally figuring out Print Job and Page Setup, I tried a couple of prints with an R1900(latest driver). When I hit the Print button, it pops up the small pane labeled "Print" showing the printer name, presets, etc. Hitting the Print button on that  just starts the printer working without pulling up the Print Dialog pane where you turn off printer control and choose paper and print quality. At no time did a printer icon pop up in the Dock before the printer started printing.

I hadn't changed anything in Print Job for the first print and it looked OK. The second time I plugged in my usual parameters in Print Job and it looked horrible. No big surprise as there was no way to wrestle control away from the printer. Is this something with 3 Beta, or am I missing something? I have no prior experience with LR, and unfortunately the Help feature wasn't much.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 05:23:39 pm »

Don't you do that in the Page Setup?

schrodingerscat

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 05:26:27 pm »

Quote from: DarkPenguin
Don't you do that in the Page Setup?

Nope. Like PS, Page Setup has settings for printer model, paper size, and orientation. The Print Settings... button brings up the Print pane, which has fields for Printer and Presets.

So far, nothing I've tried has succeeded in getting me into "the Printer dialog" as mentioned in the Color Management pane under Print Job, which seems to be the equivalent to the Color Management section of the first "Print" window that pops up in PS when you highlight print in the menu drop down under File in the menu bar. Hitting the Print button in that window is when the printer control window pops up and you can turn the printer control off as well as choosing paper type, etc.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 05:46:15 pm by schrodingerscat »

schrodingerscat

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 05:56:11 pm »

Quote from: schrodingerscat
Nope. Like PS, Page Setup has settings for printer model, paper size, and orientation. The Print Settings... button brings up the Print pane, which has fields for Printer and Presets.

So far, nothing I've tried has succeeded in getting me into "the Printer dialog" as mentioned in the Color Management pane under Print Job, which seems to be the equivalent to the Color Management section of the first "Print" window that pops up in PS when you highlight print in the menu drop down under File in the menu bar. Hitting the Print button in that window is when the printer control window pops up and you can turn the printer control off as well as choosing paper type, etc.

Just for grins I thought I'd try printing from the menu bar, with the same results.

When I highlighted Page Setup in the File dropdown, the Page Setup window pops up, and when I go to Print in the dropdown it's the same as using the buttons in LR

Mid '07 iMac 20" 2.16GHz, 2G RAM, 10.5.8 -  LR 3b only running app. with no changes to prefs
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 06:02:07 pm by schrodingerscat »
Pages: [1]   Go Up