Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printing smaller print sizes  (Read 1317 times)

StevenSzabo

• http://www.stevenszabophoto.com
Printing smaller print sizes
« on: November 07, 2009, 03:23:52 pm »

I know the Epson 9900 may not be the best tool in the shed to do this, but I'm sort of curious if it's even something it's capable of doing.

In terms of multiple prints, would it be possible to make a custom media size to print a few 4 X 6's on say a 24" roll? looking of course to minimize waste and maximize profitability would there be any way to print 4 4X6's across the width of a 24" roll without the whole 24.34" wide thing affecting the length of each image as well.

Ok, I've managed to confuse myself, I get that each 6" print would be come 6.085" wide now, anyone with any insight that would prevent my head from exploding?

framah

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 03:27:12 pm »

Turn them the other way so you are using the 4" side of the photo. You can get 5 across and not have to worry about crowding.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

KenLane

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 04:48:40 pm »

As best I can tell, QImage can do what you asking in either mode, 4 across edge to edge in landscape or 6 across edge to edge in portrait.  Don't forget you have options to turn on borderless printing and not expand the image over the edge of the paper with the correction selection of settings.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 08:32:58 pm »

Make them 3.95 x 5.93.  That will give you the teensiest working border.  Unless your client carries calipers around in his plastic pocket protector.

What framar says is good.  That fattish border really comes in handy when you try to trim out the pictures.   Give yourself at least a 1" border all around.  Tape down the whole big print, then make all the vertical cuts WITHOUT CUTTING ACROSS THE BORDERS.  Then make all the horizontal cuts the same way.  By not cutting the borders everything stays neatly aligned and you wind up making far fewer cuts than you would otherwise.  EDIT That works with my Alvin stainless steel straight edge and #11 Xacto, all bets are off for other types of cutters.

Also doesn't Photoshop have a "print package" thing that lets you gang up photos on a single sheet.  Couldn't find it just now in CS4, did they move it to Lightroom?  Second easiest way is to set the grid to 1" in Edit->Preferences then turn on the snap with View->Snap, then make the grid visible with Ctrl + '
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 08:36:59 pm by bill t. »

StevenSzabo

• http://www.stevenszabophoto.com
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 06:04:16 am »

thanks for all the suggestions people...I'll give it a shot, see what works best for me...
Pages: [1]   Go Up