Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase Flex Adaptor  (Read 2896 times)

JdeV

• http://www.jonathandevilliers.com
Phase Flex Adaptor
« on: November 07, 2009, 08:26:25 am »

A few quick questions for anyone that has one of these...

What is the size of the ground glass?

How well does this work with a P65+?

Are the stitching intervals appropriate for a three part P65+ stitch with the back in a vertical position?

Is it Graflok fit, i.e. will it attach to any regular 4" x 5"  view camera?

How good is alignment between ground glass and sensor plane?

DavidP

• papas.com
Phase Flex Adaptor
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 11:34:37 am »

I use the flex adapter with a P45+, I don't think it would work well at all with the  P65+
They actually never got the software part updated to work well with the P45
Maybe you should talk to your dealer and try one out first.
I don't think the click stops for 2 shots would line up correctly, there would be too much overlap
The 3 shot setting does not even work with the P45 size sensors, it was for the smaller H5 size, way too much overlap for the larger sensors
It is not a graflok, you can change the plate where the back attaches, but where the adapter itself fits to the view camera it is a specific built in mount for Sinar cambo toyo etc.
The ground glass is aprox 6x9cm The focus alignment seems good, I don't know if it is precise enough for the P65+ or not.
Phase One is not really supporting the flex adapter that well anymore. The software part of the stitching has not been fully implemented since Capture one 3.7
You might look at Kapture Group for some options, you can give the owner a call, they have some interesting sliding backs for stitching.

JdeV

• http://www.jonathandevilliers.com
Phase Flex Adaptor
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 12:44:15 pm »

Quote from: DavidP
I use the flex adapter with a P45+, I don't think it would work well at all with the  P65+
They actually never got the software part updated to work well with the P45
Maybe you should talk to your dealer and try one out first.
I don't think the click stops for 2 shots would line up correctly, there would be too much overlap
The 3 shot setting does not even work with the P45 size sensors, it was for the smaller H5 size, way too much overlap for the larger sensors
It is not a graflok, you can change the plate where the back attaches, but where the adapter itself fits to the view camera it is a specific built in mount for Sinar cambo toyo etc.
The ground glass is aprox 6x9cm The focus alignment seems good, I don't know if it is precise enough for the P65+ or not.
Phase One is not really supporting the flex adapter that well anymore. The software part of the stitching has not been fully implemented since Capture one 3.7
You might look at Kapture Group for some options, you can give the owner a call, they have some interesting sliding backs for stitching.

Thanks that's exactly what I needed to know. There is a very attractively priced Flex Adaptor on ebay uk but it sounds like it wouldn't work for me.
Cheers,
Jonathan

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Phase Flex Adaptor
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 05:41:00 pm »

Nothing stops you from using the FlexAdapter with the P65+ or P40+.

As noted above Capture One version 4 and Capture One version 5 do not support stitching within the software. The incredible precision needed when backs started reaching the 40 megapixel mark turned out to be a job better done in Photoshop (the stitching algorithm of which is absolutely unbelievable). Therefore Capture One 5 includes a Stitch in Photoshop script which allows you to select the images and run this script which will (on it's own) process the images, open them in Photoshop, stitch them, and show you the final composite image.

Since you'll be using Photoshop's stitching algorithm it doesnt make a difference how much or little overlap there is as long as you have the minimum that photoshop needs (which is about 20% of the frame last time I checked - but I'm not positive that hasn't been improved). Note that photoshop might have trouble establishing a proper stitch if there is no detail in the frame (e.g. an entire frame of detail-less sky)

Doug Peterson
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 05:44:22 pm by dougpetersonci »
Pages: [1]   Go Up