Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 Cleaning / Gloss problem  (Read 1365 times)

mattbr

Z3100 Cleaning / Gloss problem
« on: November 07, 2009, 04:50:36 am »

Hi all,

i'm running into a bothersome problem with a Z3100. I'm printing a very dark, 100x150 cm image on Hahnemüehle Baryta, very dense and "flat" black. The printer doesn't seem to be able to go through it without some kind of a head cleaning / pause, which leads to a stripe (or stripes) of unglossed / different gloss on the final print. Wouldn't be too bothersome on something with a little bit of detail, but it's rather visible on that one. I've tried doing a head cleaning before starting the print, to no avail - it seems like a preventive, maintenance thing, which I'd like to deactivate or work around if possible. Has anyone run into this ?

fwiw, this is the picture i'm dealing with :

[attachment=17732:_mg_1792_1.jpg]
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 04:53:20 am by mattbr »

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 11:59:41 am »

Quote from: mattbr
Hi all,

i'm running into a bothersome problem with a Z3100. I'm printing a very dark, 100x150 cm image on Hahnemüehle Baryta, very dense and "flat" black. The printer doesn't seem to be able to go through it without some kind of a head cleaning / pause, which leads to a stripe (or stripes) of unglossed / different gloss on the final print. Wouldn't be too bothersome on something with a little bit of detail, but it's rather visible on that one. I've tried doing a head cleaning before starting the print, to no avail - it seems like a preventive, maintenance thing, which I'd like to deactivate or work around if possible. Has anyone run into this ?

fwiw, this is the picture i'm dealing with :

[attachment=17732:_mg_1792_1.jpg]

It's a common quirk with this printer. To be honest, after more than 2 years using it I still haven't totally figured it out. But this usually works:
1) Turn off memory management in the printer driver. This seems to cause nothing but trouble.
2) Make sure none of your ink cartridges are nearly empty; seems to happen when one of them is under 10%.
3) Head cleaning once.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 12:00:58 pm by Geoff Wittig »

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 12:49:38 pm »

Since I see this with both small sheets or when the cartridges are almost out, I wonder if it's not time to clean the sensor and port.

Instructions are in the guide> or on their site.
Pages: [1]   Go Up