Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: SHAME ON ADOBE AND APPLE  (Read 15338 times)

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
SHAME ON ADOBE AND APPLE
« on: November 06, 2009, 11:32:48 pm »

Tuesday—opened and set up new MacPro..  Migrated everything from Old to New computer.

Tuesday—Apple does not support migration from OSX 10.4.11 to 10.6.

Had to move stuff manually to new Machine—Done on Wednesday— after one hour on phone with Adobe tech support  Did clean install of Photoshop CS3 and Lightroom 2.0 per Adobe.  This meant having to install all plugging individually.

Wednesday
Lightroom  did not see the catalogue on my external hard drive, and HDR merge in Photoshop do not work.  After 45 Minutes of waiting for Adobe to answer and listening to music—no one answered

Thursday—after 60 Minutes of waiting and listening to music from ADOBE, no one answered.  I even tried to reach Customer support instead of Tech support with no success.  Searched adobe website for help without success.

Friday.  After 30 minutes of waiting, no contact with tech support was achieved.  I then tried Customer support and reached a Human, who transferred me to tech support.  I first talked to an agent whom I could not understand, and he then transferred me to another agent, higher-level agent.  I spent about one hour with this person and one of my main problems was solved, I think.  

When the second problem was investigated, After about 20 Minutes, I was told there was a solution, but I would have to establish and one time contract for $39 to fix my problem because CS3 was no longer supported.   No guarantee was offered, although asked for. He was not able to process my card because of an internal problem with Adobe.  He transferred me to Customer service and after 15 minute, I paid via credit card the $40 and given a new contract number.

Customer Service then transferred me back to Tech support.  After 15 minutes I was told there was and internal communication problem and the people who solve my issue were not reachable.  He took my home number they would call me back within One hour.

As of this writing one hour later, I have not been called.

After several hours of my time over the last three days, my problem remains.  At every step of this ordeal I let them know how long I had been on the phone and although sympathy was expressed, the problem remains. Every time I was transferred to another Human, I was asked for my personal Info, the Adobe ID #, etc.etc. At no time was this passed along to the next agent.  Every time I was treated as a new person—Prior to then I was non-existent.

Is this the penalty of not upgrading from CS3 to CS4, even though my version is only one behind the current version?  Is this poor performance reflective of a company TOO callous, profitable, and arrogant, and ungrateful to its loyal users like me

Shame on Adobe and on Apple for making this upgrade to their products so painful.  I do Understand the need to Upgrade software, but do not understand the practice of making us pay such a heavy price in terms hours of wasted time, because we did not upgrade each and every time, if it did not offer enough reason to do so.  Are these companies interested in maintaining a loyal user base, allowing us to use an earlier version of their product if updating did  not offer a significant  advantage,  forcing to take the path of least resistance and upgrading each and every time they think necessary.

In this day and age, these upgrades should be “seamless” and Painless—NOT a punishment for not paying them for upgrades at their whim.

mdiimaging.com

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
SHAME ON ADOBE AND APPLE
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 12:24:07 am »

Wait a second, I thought all this stuff was one-click easy in Mac-land, and it was only PC users who had to suffer such trials and tribulations. You mean that smug kid in the commercials isn't telling the truth?

(sorry you had a rough time of it though, I know how frustrating computer stuff can be some times)
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
SHAME ON ADOBE AND APPLE
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 01:07:12 am »

Quote from: JeffKohn
Wait a second, I thought all this stuff was one-click easy in Mac-land, and it was only PC users who had to suffer such trials and tribulations. You mean that smug kid in the commercials isn't telling the truth?

You are right, let's turn this thread into a PC vs Mac discussion, we haven't had enough of that...

Cheers,
Bernard

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
SHAME ON ADOBE AND APPLE
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 01:19:54 am »

Quote from: BernardLanguillier
You are right, let's turn this thread into a PC vs Mac discussion, we haven't had enough of that...

Cheers,
Bernard

Well I'm just happy I got never into macs ;-)
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
SHAME ON ADOBE AND APPLE
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 01:39:46 am »

Quote from: mdijb
Tuesday—opened and set up new MacPro..  Migrated everything from Old to New computer.

...SNIP...

In this day and age, these upgrades should be “seamless” and Painless—NOT a punishment for not paying them for upgrades at their whim.

So, you are surprised that an application isn't working "perfectly" on a system and OS that wasn't in existence at the time the app shipped? What, are you kidding?

Photoshop CS4-which shipped in Oct 2008-is STILL having some "issues" (let alone an application that what, shipped in the spring of 2007...)

Boy, you are asking for it bud...putting in an all new computer with software that shipped in 2007...

Seriously, what did you expect? No problems? Really?

Sorry your life sucks at the moment...but you really need to "ease" into this stuff (otherwise it's gonna drive you POSTAL).

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
SHAME ON ADOBE AND APPLE
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 02:39:35 am »

You may very well be correct in sofar that you can expect problems trying to run 'old' software on a new OS.

However how does this explain poor customer service at the side of Adobe? I would think there can be a lot improved in that area if the things mentioned are more than just an incident.

NikosR

• http://
SHAME ON ADOBE AND APPLE
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 02:41:40 am »

Quote from: Schewe
So, you are surprised that an application isn't working "perfectly" on a system and OS that wasn't in existence at the time the app shipped? What, are you kidding?

Photoshop CS4-which shipped in Oct 2008-is STILL having some "issues" (let alone an application that what, shipped in the spring of 2007...)

Boy, you are asking for it bud...putting in an all new computer with software that shipped in 2007...

Sorry your life sucks at the moment...but you really need to "ease" into this stuff (otherwise it's gonna drive you POSTAL).

Bravo, good reply Schewe. I'm serious, you're quite right. But, do you care to make any comments about the guy's tribulations with Adobe support also, or is that outside your Adobe evangelist mission?
Nikos

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
SHAME ON ADOBE AND APPLE
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 04:55:51 am »

Quote from: Christopher
Well I'm just happy I got never into macs ;-)

Well, I work with both OS on a regular basis, and my clear choice is for OSX. No system/provider is perfect, both are excellent solutions for productive work, but I prefer the experience I get with OSX.

Win 7 Ultimate that I just installed last week in a VM seems to be working great too. Thanks for VM Ware fusion it is just brilliant to be able to use Win applications within OSX in their own individual OSX window, the best of both world really.

Cheers,
Bernard

Jeremy Payne

SHAME ON ADOBE AND APPLE
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 09:11:56 am »

Quote from: mdijb
HDR merge in Photoshop do not work.

Did you update from Photoshop 10.0 to 10.1?

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
SHAME ON ADOBE AND APPLE
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 10:54:03 am »

I am using version 10.0.1
mdiimaging.com

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
SHAME ON ADOBE AND APPLE
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2009, 01:14:46 pm »

That's a strange argument - I guarantee that PC CS3 works fine on both XP and Win7. But I don't know the architecture of Macs, but I doubt they have had fundamental changes which break backward compatibility.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
SHAME ON ADOBE AND APPLE
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2009, 03:06:41 pm »

Quote from: feppe
That's a strange argument - I guarantee that PC CS3 works fine on both XP and Win7. But I don't know the architecture of Macs, but I doubt they have had fundamental changes which break backward compatibility.

I can't help but noting that a goodly percentage of posts here are either (1) People telling us how great Macs are or (2) People asking for help with Mac problems.

wollom

SHAME ON ADOBE AND APPLE
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2009, 08:33:38 pm »

There's an irony there; in the current Mac ad "Top of the Line" the Top-of-the-line PC concludes by saying to the user: "Call me...when you're ready to compromise" after explaining that any computer comes with operating problems.

I use G5 Powermacs with Adobe CS2 circa 2007 (part of a long line of Macs going back to 1984) even though there are hardware and software updates that might be useful, and it requires some kludgy work-arounds where the software does not support a particular camera.

Given the choice of using something that is working now, and having to 'ease' into an upgrade that must include hardware, software, time, money–and POSTAL avoidance; I chose to be a photographer not a computer tech. It's an attitude that's at odds with the marketing pitch to buy the newest, greatest etc.

Wollom

Gellman

• http://www.jgphoto.com
SHAME ON ADOBE AND APPLE
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2009, 01:38:50 am »

Jeff Schewe does make a good point regarding expectations for installing older software on newer operating systems. I think it is unreasonable to expect that everything will always work perfectly without a little effort. I also think it is reasonable for paying customers to expect prompt and useful technical support from Adobe (or any software vendor) when things don't go as expected. I doubt that Mdijb would have ever posted about this topic on this forum had he received decent technical support from Adobe. Adobe's recent atrocious technical support and customer support problems are well documented. Adobe VP Lambert Walsh has even  publicly apologized for Adobe's poor support. John Nack has acknowledged the same on his blog. However, it looks like it may take a while for Adobe to make real progress on this front.

My advice to Mdijb is to document your problem and the response you have gotten so far, and send an email to . This is an address Adobe has set up for customers who have encountered the kind of support problems you described. Although the call center people are less than worthless, this email should put you in touch with Adobe folks who really do care about solving customers' problems. You should also do a Google search on "adobe customer support". You will find no shortage of customer support horror stories, including mine, and you will also find the names and email addresses of some very helpful Adobe employees, such as who have offered to help. If all of this doesn't get you in touch with a real person, contact me off the forum and I'll provide the name and email address of the very gracious and helpful Abobe employee who solved the problem I had.

Good luck!

John
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 01:52:03 am by ncjohnboy »

bradleygibson

• http://GibsonPhotographic.com
SHAME ON ADOBE AND APPLE
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2009, 02:29:45 am »

I have to disagree with you here, Jeff, and to the others echoing this sentiment--as you know I am in this industry and am thus partly responsible for these kinds of upgrade nightmares users face.  And it's true there are a whole host of technical reasons why this stuff doesn't work as seamlessly as we expect.

But in the end, I feel the OP's pain here--if we as an industry can't make these problems just "go away" for users (and I do understand the reasons why we can't), rather than throwing up our hands and saying 'that's the nature of the beast', we should be looking for other ways to at least let users know (before they buy) what the migration story is for every previous version of an OS that was released, and what the compatibility story is for an application on every version of the OS it runs on.  It's kind of like the nutrition panel on the side of the box--it may not be fun reading, but when you can see how (un)healthy your favorite treat is for you, it's information that's good to have.

How many people were impacted by broken Epson drivers on Snow Leopard?  All the big companies should be able to get compatibility statements published for their flagship products--they have advance copies of the operating systems and documentation.

Both Canon and Nikon released Windows 7 compatibility statements recently, if memory serves.  That seems like a good start to me.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 02:33:32 am by bradleygibson »
-Brad
 [url=http://GibsonPhotographic.com

bradleygibson

• http://GibsonPhotographic.com
SHAME ON ADOBE AND APPLE
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2009, 02:35:50 am »

[deleted double-post]
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 11:48:45 am by bradleygibson »
-Brad
 [url=http://GibsonPhotographic.com

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
SHAME ON ADOBE AND APPLE
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2009, 03:39:54 am »

Quote from: feppe
FWIW, CS3 works fine for me on a Mac Pro under Snow Leopard.

Jeremy

francois

SHAME ON ADOBE AND APPLE
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2009, 04:53:19 am »

Quote from: kikashi
FWIW, CS3 works fine for me on a Mac Pro under Snow Leopard.

Jeremy
Same for me!
Francois

ashley

• http://www.ashleykaryl.com
SHAME ON ADOBE AND APPLE
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2009, 07:49:32 am »

I'm having a few problems with CS4 and snow leopard that frankly shouldn't be there. Adobe knew full well that Apple were producing a new OS upgrade and it seems impossible to imagine that they weren't actively involved as developers with access to 10.6 before it was officially released, so why wasn't a quick update ready for CS4 to address these issues?

Every time I upgrade OS X the one constant seems to be that Photoshop will have more problems than just about any other application. Then Adobe blames Apple and vice versa.
Ashley Karyl Photographer
[url=http://w

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
SHAME ON ADOBE AND APPLE
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2009, 11:11:32 am »

I have not had a single problem with Photoshop CS4 and Snow Leopard on my MacPro 2.66GHz  quad or MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz Core2 duo.
For those who are experiencing problems, I found this solution:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/backstage...oblems-on-macs/

Gerald J Skrocki
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up