Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: DxO V.6  (Read 25827 times)

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
DxO V.6
« on: November 06, 2009, 11:00:48 am »

I'm trying DxO version 6.  Much tidier interface.  Pleased to see the Sony A900 and Sigma 12-24mm combination is now supported (as I seem to have an excellent copy of the Sigma).  Automatically loads the modules you need for supported cameras and lenses. Looks to be a worthwhile upgrade.

Anyone else using V.6?

Quentin
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 11:03:02 am by Quentin »
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

Tom H.

DxO V.6
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 05:18:02 pm »

Quote from: Quentin
I'm trying DxO version 6.  Much tidier interface.  Pleased to see the Sony A900 and Sigma 12-24mm combination is now supported (as I seem to have an excellent copy of the Sigma).  Automatically loads the modules you need for supported cameras and lenses. Looks to be a worthwhile upgrade.

Anyone else using V.6?

Quentin

I have been using DXO for just over a year.
I like its workflow and the quality of images it produces, especially noise reduction. Been using the trial version of V6 for a few days, and while I don't get any more modules from the release that are of use to me, I do find it more intuitive, so I will be upgrading.
Funny that other sites like DP Review have not even acknowledged this release.

Have used and owned Capture One, and ACR and like this the best of the three.

I'm really hoping they will make a module for the new Panasonic GF1 with the 20/1.7, it's a fabulous little camera, but it's quite noisy when compared to a FF sensor. Think DXO will really make this camera shine.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
DxO V.6
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 05:28:49 pm »

Quote from: Tom H.
I'm really hoping they will make a module for the new Panasonic GF1 with the 20/1.7, it's a fabulous little camera, but it's quite noisy when compared to a FF sensor.

I guess that the combined release of DxO V6 and the Nikon D3s could really open new doors as well, ISO 12800 will get used on a daily basis by sports and concert shooters...

Cheers,
Bernard

Stephane Desnault

DxO V.6
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 02:43:30 pm »

Just installed DXO version 6... a bit disappointed by what will probably be a detail to many: They seem to have removed from the output options the possibility to direct output to a subdirectory of the original files:(. You're limited to sufffixed file names, or to specifying the full path - the previous version allowed you to specify a subdirectory of the original one.

Why would anyone choose to REMOVE features from a version..? Sigh.

Arizona

DxO V.6
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 08:54:35 pm »

I have only worked up a few images but so far I like it. They have added some features. The interface looks better.

I know that sales always rushes the product to market before production is through with it so many some of the features will be forth coming in a few weeks. The Photoshop plugin is not yet available for V6 but will be soon they say. It was the same for V5.

I still like final product in DXO better than any other RAW converter.
Glen

walter.sk

DxO V.6
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 10:40:20 am »

Quote from: Stephane Desnault
Just installed DXO version 6... a bit disappointed by what will probably be a detail to many: They seem to have removed from the output options the possibility to direct output to a subdirectory of the original files:(. You're limited to sufffixed file names, or to specifying the full path - the previous version allowed you to specify a subdirectory of the original one.

I'm not sure where the choice of a subfolder for the output exists, but I do remember seeing it somewhere in the new version 6.  I think the choice was to a subfolder marked "DXO," but I'm not sure whether there was also an option for choosing a different name for it.

I liked version 5's processing quality but not the interface.  V. 6 seems to have a more intuitive and functional interface, more easily customizable.

I have a question about the relationship of DXO v6 and Lightroom.  If I process a file in DXO and save it as a DNG, is it really a RAW file with a sidecar file associated with it?  Would further processing in LR (or CS4's Camera Raw) still be on the RAW file with the adjustments made in DXO available?  Or would I be overwriting the DXO adjustments?  Or is the file really a "pseudo-DNG," and no longer a real RAW file?

deejjjaaaa

DxO V.6
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 11:49:38 am »

Quote from: walter.sk
I'm not sure where the choice of a subfolder for the output exists, but I do remember seeing it somewhere in the new version 6.  I think the choice was to a subfolder marked "DXO," but I'm not sure whether there was also an option for choosing a different name for it.

I liked version 5's processing quality but not the interface.  V. 6 seems to have a more intuitive and functional interface, more easily customizable.

I have a question about the relationship of DXO v6 and Lightroom.  If I process a file in DXO and save it as a DNG, is it really a RAW file with a sidecar file associated with it?  Would further processing in LR (or CS4's Camera Raw) still be on the RAW file with the adjustments made in DXO available?  Or would I be overwriting the DXO adjustments?  Or is the file really a "pseudo-DNG," and no longer a real RAW file?

DxO will do demosaicing (and some NR) and lens corrections (ca, geometric distortions, vignetting, etc)... you will have linear DNG... so certain things you will not be able to undo in LR...

robgo2

• Robert Goldstein Photography
DxO V.6
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 02:22:26 pm »

Quote from: Arizona
I have only worked up a few images but so far I like it. They have added some features. The interface looks better.

I know that sales always rushes the product to market before production is through with it so many some of the features will be forth coming in a few weeks. The Photoshop plugin is not yet available for V6 but will be soon they say. It was the same for V5.

I still like final product in DXO better than any other RAW converter.

After having tried many different programs, I am convinced that DxO is the best RAW converter, especially when lens/camera correction modules are available.  I gather that the actual RAW processing has not changed significantly with the latest upgrade.  Heretofore, I have relied upon Lightroom for fine tuning and file management of DNGs that are outputted from DxO.  I expect that I will continue in that fashion with v6, once it appears for Mac.

Rob

AlanG

• http://www.goldsteinphoto.com
DxO V.6
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 10:52:29 pm »

Quote from: Stephane Desnault

It still exists and is even better. There are two modes, relative and absolute. So you can name the output folder "Tiff" and it will create a folder named "Tiff" under the files that the raw folders are in. The advantage to this is if you are working on raw files from various direcories, it will creat several "tiff" folders thaqt are directly below each folder that has raw files. Or you can browse to a specific location and have all tiffs go into this folder. (Absolute.)
Alan Goldstein
[url=http://www.Goldstein

Stephane Desnault

DxO V.6
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 12:03:24 pm »

Thanks Alan.

Now I get it once you've mentioned it, but it's far from obvious. And pressing the "browsing" button next to the folder name is not mentioning any way to apply a relative path. I can understand the manipulation, as an old DOS user, familiar with the directory structure. But why did they remove the clearer language of the previous version..?

Dave Gurtcheff

DxO V.6
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 04:55:41 pm »

I have DXO  and I have found it does an excellant job as a RAW converter with Sony Alpha 900 files. I use it as a converter,  even if some of my lenses are not supported. I am planning to upgrade from V 5.xx to 6.0. I note they added support for the Sony 28mm f2.8 lens, which I have. However a boat load of vintage Minolta, and 2nd party (Sigma, Tamron, et al) lenses that I have are not supported. I went to PTLens' site and they DO support almost everything in my arsenal. My question: If I convert a non supported lens file in DXO, can I then follow up and process in PTLens to  remove distortion, CA, vignetting? Some of my favorite lens, e.g. the Minolta 20mm is NOT supported in DXO, and the "Mostache" (SP??) distortion restricts the kind of subject matter I use it for. I would love to convert the 20mm files in DXO, then remove the horizon distortion in PTLens.
Thanks in advance.
Dave G.
www.modernpictorials.com

Misirlou

• http://
DxO V.6
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 06:16:49 pm »

Quote from: Dave Gurtcheff
I have DXO  and I have found it does an excellant job as a RAW converter with Sony Alpha 900 files. I use it as a converter,  even if some of my lenses are not supported. I am planning to upgrade from V 5.xx to 6.0. I note they added support for the Sony 28mm f2.8 lens, which I have. However a boat load of vintage Minolta, and 2nd party (Sigma, Tamron, et al) lenses that I have are not supported. I went to PTLens' site and they DO support almost everything in my arsenal. My question: If I convert a non supported lens file in DXO, can I then follow up and process in PTLens to  remove distortion, CA, vignetting? Some of my favorite lens, e.g. the Minolta 20mm is NOT supported in DXO, and the "Mostache" (SP??) distortion restricts the kind of subject matter I use it for. I would love to convert the 20mm files in DXO, then remove the horizon distortion in PTLens.
Thanks in advance.
Dave G.
www.modernpictorials.com

I don't see why you couldn't do that. But it would be easy enough to check for yourself. Just download the free 30 day trial version and do some experimenting. If you like it, you can pay for a new license code online, and just enter it into the registration box to keep that same installation running forever.

You can also manually correct distortion, CA and vignetting in DxO, even for any lenses they don't support with their own module (New feature in 6.0). If those manual corrections work consistently for you, you could save them out as presets to use with those lenses in the future. Wouldn't work as automatically as PTlens, but it would be fine for simple corrections such as barrel or pincushion distortion. Complex "mustache" distortion would require you to go to PTlens though, since the manual lens controls in DxO are relatively primitive.

Dave Gurtcheff

DxO V.6
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2009, 06:35:54 pm »

Quote from: Misirlou
I don't see why you couldn't do that. But it would be easy enough to check for yourself. Just download the free 30 day trial version and do some experimenting. If you like it, you can pay for a new license code online, and just enter it into the registration box to keep that same installation running forever.

You can also manually correct distortion, CA and vignetting in DxO, even for any lenses they don't support with their own module (New feature in 6.0). If those manual corrections work consistently for you, you could save them out as presets to use with those lenses in the future. Wouldn't work as automatically as PTlens, but it would be fine for simple corrections such as barrel or pincushion distortion. Complex "mustache" distortion would require you to go to PTlens though, since the manual lens controls in DxO are relatively primitive.

Thanks. We are away from home visiting family; when I return home Wednesday, I will  down load the trial version, and try it.
Regards and thanks again.  

armand

• Photos
DxO V.6
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 10:08:52 pm »

I did upgrade also from 5.3.5 and the interface is better. Also the interface seems a little faster. However there are stability issues with version 6 on my laptop (Lenovo T400, P8700 2.53, 6GB RAM). It crashes frequently especially if I try to process more images at once (more 6-8). It seems stable though if I set to use only one core (instead of 2 by default) and since I use Win 7 Prof 64 instead of Vista 64 Business. I guess it wants the entire computers for itself and doesn't like to share when it's set on 2 cores.
I didn't test it yet on my quad desktop with XP Prof 32, I will wait until I get a new monitor and calibrate before I start processing more pictures.

Another thing is it doesn't really behave well between accounts. I would advise to try to install from the account that you are using usually (even if it's not administrator) as it puts the presets only on that account. I did manage to copy them to my user folder but who knows what else it installs only on the administrator account.
Also there is something weird with the imported presets. I tried using the Andy presets. In 5.x.x I wasn't to thrilled about them but in v6 I finally see a difference (in better I mean). Problem is that sometimes the output looks like the defaults DxO preset: very saturated and contrasty, worse than the in-camera jpeg (even for my eyes, and I'm far from being even prosumer); probably it doesn't always use them. It's random, I didn't notice it yet since I changed to Win 7. But then again, I didn't process that many nefs since then either.

rosemanbridge

• http://
DxO V.6
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2009, 07:37:44 pm »

The site is showing that V5.3.6 for Mac SL is available, it's not showing up as a download in my customer account, can anyone post a direct link please?

Sigi

• http://www.betterphoto.com/Premium/default.aspx?id=267034&mp=V2
DxO V.6
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2009, 12:56:20 am »

Quote from: rosemanbridge
The site is showing that V5.3.6 for Mac SL is available, it's not showing up as a download in my customer account, can anyone post a direct link please?

Please find the links to the DxO Optics Pro 5.3.6 installer:
Standard:
http://download-center.dxo.com/v5/Ma...d/DxOSetup.dmg

Elite:
http://download-center.dxo.com/v5/Ma...e/DxOSetup.dmg

ChuckT

DxO V.6
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2009, 12:18:05 pm »

Quote from: Quentin
I'm trying DxO version 6.  Much tidier interface. ...  Looks to be a worthwhile upgrade.

Quentin

Just got DXO v5 with the 6 upgrade - I saw three things:

The install/upgrade instructions could use a bit of polish, possibly caused by English as a second language.

It would have helped had the upgrade instructions (go to web page ya-de-da-dah.htm and download ver 6.x) included "wait for the ver 6 access code to be emailed to you".

And curiously I didn't see any place on the Dxo website to request (vote?) for a specific camera/lens combination to be analysed & included in cureent or up-coming versions.  Maybe I didn't look hard enough.

cvt

Sigi

• http://www.betterphoto.com/Premium/default.aspx?id=267034&mp=V2
DxO V.6
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2009, 04:53:41 am »

Quote from: ChuckT
And curiously I didn't see any place on the Dxo website to request (vote?) for a specific camera/lens combination to be analysed & included in cureent or up-coming versions.  Maybe I didn't look hard enough.

cvt

It is still here:  http://www.dxo.com/intl/photo/support/modu...pb_availability

siegfried

armand

• Photos
DxO V.6
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2009, 12:42:12 pm »

There is already a new upgrade, 6.1.0 build 7520, and so far seems definitely more stable. I will try it again using all cores on my laptop.
On the desktop I already made it use all 4 cores, and although I processed only few images it was uneventful. The interface feels a little different also, but I can't figure it out now what's changed, maybe it's just my imagination.

armand

• Photos
DxO V.6
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2009, 12:49:48 pm »

I just saw the email I got from them:

Dear Photographer,

The DxO Labs team is pleased to inform you that DxO Optics Pro version 6.1 for Windows is now available!

Get professional-level image quality thanks to DxO Optics Pro.
Photographers the world over have recognized DxO Optics Pro's unique and automatic corrections for a large selection of DSLR cameras. In order to appeal to a broader user base, version 6.1 offers an even more intuitive user interface, more presets, and progressively more support for "advanced compact" cameras designed for the most demanding amateur photographers. DxO Optics Pro brings excellent results to photos shot with these cameras, in terms of both RAW conversion and optical corrections.

In addition to its large array of supported DSLR cameras, beginning with version 6.1, DxO Optics Pro now supports the Canon G11. DxO Labs will shortly add support for the Canon S90 in the days to follow, along with the Panasonic Lumix Lx3 and GH1 (slated for the beginning of 2010), as well as for other models in the advanced compact category.

Complete list of new features in v6.1 :
Support for the following cameras: Canon G11, Canon 7D, and Nikon D3000;
56 new DxO Optics Modules for the following cameras: Canon 7D, 400D, 450D, 500D, Nikon D3, D300, D300s, D40x, D3000, Olympus E-30, E-420, E-510, E-620 and Sony A300;
Even more improvements to the user interface, include full-screen mode for easier photo viewing;
6 new presets, including one that simulates HDR rendition—all from one shot and in one click!

Now I know it wasn't just my imagination  
I'm really looking forward for the S90 module to see how it compares with DPP. Also few days ago I realized they added support for my D90 with the 35mm 1.8D  
Seems they are receptive to suggestions/ critique.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up