Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Southwest USA  (Read 11245 times)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Southwest USA
« on: November 06, 2009, 03:44:07 am »

If you were going to spend 10 days in Arizona, southern Utah and perhaps New Mexico, walking, taking photographs and generally admiring the scenery, and you had a choice between going at the end of April and some time in August, when would you go and why?

I'm thinking of the Grand Canyon, Antelope Canyon, Bryce, Monument Valley etc.

Tips gratefully received.

Jeremy

BlasR

• http://BMRWorldPhotos.com
Southwest USA
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 07:51:48 am »

Quote from: kikashi
If you were going to spend 10 days in Arizona, southern Utah and perhaps New Mexico, walking, taking photographs and generally admiring the scenery, and you had a choice between going at the end of April and some time in August, when would you go and why?

Jeremy

First I will go to White Sand,NM  Then to Organ pipe, redrock clossing, grand canyon I got to enjoy the views no photos, antelope, people are sick in tired, so don't go, monument valley, they will rip you apart if you don't get someone to help you, go, with alain briot . from there go to valley of the gods in finally go to anasazi ruins and then go home, you will thank me later, send me a check to

1 white sand
2 organ pipe
3 next to valley of the gods
 4 anasazi
BlasR
  [url=http://www.BMRWORLDPHOTOS.CO

Paul Sumi

Southwest USA
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 10:14:38 am »

Is this your first trip to this area?

You might also consider going to the Moab area in southern Utah - Canyonlands and Arches National Parks, and Dead Horse Point State Park are all in close proximity.  True, these are icons so there are many familiar images from these places (Delicate Arch, Mesa Arch, Green River Overlook, False Kiva, etc).  But these are still great locations to visit and many of the formations are accessible from the road.

If you go to Monument Valley, and you want to explore/photograph more than just from the public road, you will need to engage a Navajo guide or tour.  Tom Phillips is the "go-to" guide for photographers.  I have only taken a brief visit to the adjacent Valley of the Gods, but it is worth a look.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
Southwest USA
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 10:30:10 am »

Jeremy,

Unless you really enjoy hot, HOT, weather, I would go in April. I have made three trips to the American Southwest, all in April, and the weather was great, trees were just leafing out, and there were fewer tourists around than there are generally in August.

Of course, while we all know that Blas doesn't know a thing about anything important (     -- I have to tease him), I agree with him on White Sands, which was first on our New Mexico trip last year. There are two problems with WS, however: The military missile range conducts tests a couple of days each week, and on test days the road to and past White Sands is closed most of the day. We didn't know that, but lucked out as a sand storm canceled the tests and the road stayed open (so I got some nice photos inside the sand storm, plus several big dust spots on my sensor, even though I never changed the lens even once.) The other problem with White Sands is that it is pretty far from your other destinations, especially if you have only ten days. 

If you can possibly stretch it to three weeks, you can do a lot more. In 2008 my wife and I did three weeks just in New Mexico, and we barely scratched the surface. My favorites in New Mexico included White Sands, Bosque del Apache (great for wildlife and birds), and Chaco Canyon National Park (one of the best Anasazi sites around).

This year we did parts of Southern Utah, including Zion, Bryce, and Capitol Reef National Parks and parts of Escalante/Grand Staircase National Monument. That filled three weeks easily, and we never got to Antelope Canyon or Monument Valley or the other Utah national parks. We plan to get to Arches and Canyonlands on a separate trip.

If you want Grand Canyon, Antelope Canyon, Bryce, and Monument Valley, you will need to visit the North Rim of Grand Canyon instead of the South Rim, because driving around will take too many of your days. The North Rim, as I understand it, requires a fairly long drive on a fairly ratty road, but could be well worth it (I have only done the South Rim, many years ago).

There is so much bizarre and fascinating landscape in that part of the world that I'm sure you will find lots to explore. Because the distances are so great, I suggest picking a relatively smallish area. For southern Utah, we flew into Las Vegas and used a renatl car for the trip.

You can see a few of my Utah photos on my website, in both the B&W and Color galleries and Calendars. I just realized I don't have a New Mexico gallery up, so I'll have to remedy that soon.

Cheers,

Eric
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 10:32:38 am by EricM »
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Peter McLennan

Southwest USA
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 11:19:34 am »

I've travelled from western Canada to the SW dozens of times.  I agree with PaulS.  Moab.  April.  

Bryce, Zion, Capital Reef, Arches and Canyonlands (all National Parks! ) are all within a day's drive of Moab.  Ten days will just scratch the surface.

Find out when "Jeepers" is scheduled in Moab and avoid that week.  4WD enthusiasts flock to Moab during that week in April (near Easter) and consume all available resources in Moab.

Paul Sumi

Southwest USA
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 01:22:52 pm »

Quote from: EricM
My favorites in New Mexico included ... Bosque del Apache (great for wildlife and birds) ...

Peak time for Bosque is the winter months (December - February-ish) if you want to photograph the goose migration, so end of April is a bit late.  I don't remember if the Sandhill Cranes are resident year-round.

And August would be be very, very hot...

Paul

Paul Sumi

Southwest USA
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 01:57:18 pm »

One other thing - entry fees vary at the various national parks.  For example, $10/car for 7 days at Canyonlands and Arches, but $25/car at Grand Canyon, Zion and Bryce for 7 days.

Depending on how many (and which) NPs you actually visit, it MAY be more cost-effective to buy the $80 annual pass:

http://www.nps.gov/fees_passes.htm

Paul
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 01:58:29 pm by PaulS »

vandevanterSH

Southwest USA
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 02:08:22 pm »

North Rim of Grand Canyon instead of the South Rim, because driving around will take too many of your days.
IIRC, the road to the North Rim is plowed and opens after May 16.  The road condition is OK.

Steve

Peter McLennan

Southwest USA
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 12:45:15 pm »

Quote from: vandevanterSH
North Rim of Grand Canyon instead of the South Rim, because driving around will take too many of your days.
IIRC, the road to the North Rim is plowed and opens after May 16.  The road condition is OK.

Steve

Plus it's not a zoo like the South Rim and the views are at least as good, if not better.

Adam Schallau

• www.AdamSchallau.com
Southwest USA
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 01:51:35 pm »

The end of April into May would be my choice. If this is your first trip to the southwest, I would hit the major destinations such as the South Rim of the Grand Canyon, Page (Horseshoe Bend and Antelope Canyon), Monument Valley and Moab. Time permitting I would also consider visiting the Ancestral Puebloan (Anasazi) sites of Canyon de Chelly, Chaco Canyon, and Mesa Verde.

As others have mentioned, the South Rim of the Grand Canyon can be a zoo. I was lucky enough to be an Artist-in-Residence on the South Rim this past year and can tell you that it is very possible to have some excellent viewpoints to yourself, but you have to get away from the primary viewpoints that a majority of the tourists visit such as Mather Point, Yavapai Point, and Hopi Point and the area around the lodges. I often had Mojave Point, Yaki Point, Lipan Point and Desert View to myself. The key is to walk at least a hundred yards from the designated viewing areas.

If you have the time and you are in decent shape, be sure to take a short hike down the South Kaibab Trail. There's nothing like the experience of getting below the rim at the Grand Canyon. Take plenty of water because there is none on the South Kaibab Trail.

I'd also suggest purchasing the three volume series, Photographing the Southwest by Laurent Martres. These books are an invaluable resource and will help you plan your trip.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Southwest USA
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 05:45:16 pm »

Thanks for all your tips. I think the answer to my main question is April. It won't be my first trip to the area, but it will be the first since I fully rekindled my love of photography, so I'm planning on redoing all the sites I've done before. In addition, my wife's never been, so it will all be new for her.

Roll on 2011! (I plan in advance)

Jeremy

BlasR

Southwest USA
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2009, 02:07:03 pm »

Thanks for all your tips. I think the answer to my main question is April. It won't be my first trip to the area, but it will be the first since I fully rekindled my love of photography, so I'm planning on redoing all the sites I've done before. In addition, my wife's never been, so it will all be new for her.

Roll on 2011! (I plan in advance)

Jeremy

2011?  

what is wrong with you people?

first Eric destroy me, then Grand canyon is a good place now you going 0n 2011.( can't believe it)

So were or when you going to send me the check?

Ain't give more info if is not a week before the trip.

I hope and I pray to God you send me the check next week.  2011?  Nono, and no,, I have problems with my eyes

I can't wait the long I have kids to feed, 2011?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 02:08:41 pm by BlasR »
BlasR

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Southwest USA
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2009, 02:17:16 pm »

Quote from: BlasR
2011?  

what is wrong with you people?

first Eric destroy me, then Grand canyon is a good place now you going 0n 2011.( can't believe it)

So were or when you going to send me the check?

Ain't give more info if is not a week before the trip.

I hope and I pray to God you send me the check next week.  2011?  Nono, and no,, I have problems with my eyes

I can't wait the long I have kids to feed, 2011?
Sorry - bread and water for a while, I'm afraid. Next year's big trip is going to be to South Africa (we're invited to a wedding there, which is as good an excuse as any). So having planned that, I'm looking forwards!

Jeremy

BlasR

Southwest USA
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2009, 02:26:15 pm »

Sorry - bread and water for a while, I'm afraid. Next year's big trip is going to be to South Africa (we're invited to a wedding there, which is as good an excuse as any). So having planned that, I'm looking forwards!

Jeremy

Oh if it's like that, ok for me.

I've find out I can get the check from eric(special after the destruction he created), until you send your check, so kids will be ok.

just remember pay some interest.
BlasR

Eric Myrvaagnes

Southwest USA
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2009, 09:41:41 pm »

Oh if it's like that, ok for me.

I've find out I can get the check from eric(special after the destruction he created), until you send your check, so kids will be ok.

just remember pay some interest.
OK, Blas, I've sent you a peanut-butter-and-jelly sandwich. I hope that will keep you going until 2011.

Eric

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

BlasR

Southwest USA
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2009, 05:30:58 am »

Quote from: EricM
OK, Blas, I've sent you a peanut-butter-and-jelly sandwich. I hope that will keep you going until 2011.

Eric

Ya I got it yesterday UPS one day express. I didn't taste it, but my kids eat 1/2, and look what happen.   the other 1/2

I need to preserved it.
BlasR

sanfairyanne

Southwest USA
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2009, 11:07:19 am »

Ya I got it yesterday UPS one day express. I didn't taste it, but my kids eat 1/2, and look what happen.   the other 1/2

I need to preserved it.
Just a quick note regarding White Sands. I was there this year, I camped in the camp site. Should you do this you are supposed to have your tent up an hour before sunset. I did this yet when a policeman found me walking back to my tent after sunset he treated me like a criminal and threatened to fine me $150. He told me I had to be in my tent tucked up in bed an hour before sunset. As an Englishman I found policemen in America to be overly officious, rude and utterly belittling to tourists.

I checked with the ranger the following morning and and found I did nothing wrong at all.

America is already a police state.

bretedge

• Bret Edge Photography
Southwest USA
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2009, 01:03:42 am »

Tough choice.  Monsoon storms in August virtually guarantee killer afternoon skies anywhere in the Southwest.  Wildflowers are usually starting to get good at the end of April around the Moab area.  August can be oppressively hot in Arizona, Utah and New Mexico.  Milder weather in April is attractive but brings with it hordes of tourists, especially in Moab.  You're likely to fight crowds at the Grand Canyon in April or August.

Moab in August is pretty amazing.  Tourist traffic has declined from the early summer peak.  Days are long, monsoons present ample opportunity for dramatic photography and the accompanying rains fill potholes that catch ephemeral reflections.  Since you're asking for a vote, I'd choose August by a narrow margin.  

[attachment=18068:park_ave_storm2.jpg]

Greg Campbell

Southwest USA
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2009, 01:11:30 am »

Jeremy

If you're the type to hike about, April is perfect.  IMO, August heat makes activity in the lower elevations pretty uninviting.

Here's a big gob of Google Earth placemarks within the area that I've assembled, complete with short descriptions of many photogenic locations.
The emphasis is on non-technical slot canyon hikes and other 'redrock' destinations, but there are plenty of general interest locations as well.
http://members.cox.net/geonerd/Canyon_Hikes.kmz
You can download the file for use in GE, or paste the URL into the search bar at http://maps.google.com
If using GE, enable the Panoramio layer to see photos of the area in question.  If browsing the google maps site, enable <more> <photos>.  

If you have specific questions, please ask.  

Even with 10 days, you'll never see it all.  Try not to get too ambitious.  IMO, if you're spending more than 3~4 hours in the car each day, you're going too fast!  

Enjoy!    

-Greg
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 01:14:26 am by Greg Campbell »
Pages: [1]   Go Up