Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flowers in Studio  (Read 3209 times)

bwphoto

Flowers in Studio
« on: November 04, 2009, 11:09:03 pm »

A few flowers I shot a little while ago... C&C welcome.

Brian

Roger Calixto

Flowers in Studio
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 02:38:01 am »

Love the lighting on the last one. How was it setup?

{}
Roger
--------------
If my day job wasn't so cool, I'd quit and be a photographer =)

bwphoto

Flowers in Studio
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 08:05:29 am »

Thanks Roger.  There was a softbox underneath, gridded beauty dish high camera left as well as a reflector camera right.  White seamless background but light controlled to make black.

framah

Flowers in Studio
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 10:11:53 am »

As much as I love flower photos, I gotta tell you that the first two annoy me because of what is out of focus. I'd rather see the whole stem of orchids in focus and the Calla lilies being either out of focus all together of "soft focus" is really annoying.

The Bird of Paradise is really nice!!
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Flowers in Studio
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 02:23:46 pm »

Quote from: framah
As much as I love flower photos, I gotta tell you that the first two annoy me because of what is out of focus. I'd rather see the whole stem of orchids in focus and the Calla lilies being either out of focus all together of "soft focus" is really annoying.

The Bird of Paradise is really nice!!

My thoughts exactly...

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

WeeklyPhotoCompGirl

Flowers in Studio
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 07:12:10 am »

I just love the bird of paradise, those are a hard one to capture the beauty of. I think you've done marvelously!

bwphoto

Flowers in Studio
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 09:02:13 pm »

Thanks for the comments folks...  The selective focus in the first 2 are just a personal preference.  If there is more than one of the same thing in the image I like to place focus on one and let the rest go, to me it keeps the eye on one section.  The bottom lily is perfectly sharp, the downsizing and yellow on yellow make it appear soft.  

Appreciate it.
Brian

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
Flowers in Studio
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 03:07:14 am »

Quote from: bwphoto
Thanks for the comments folks...  The selective focus in the first 2 are just a personal preference.  If there is more than one of the same thing in the image I like to place focus on one and let the rest go, to me it keeps the eye on one section.  The bottom lily is perfectly sharp, the downsizing and yellow on yellow make it appear soft.  

Appreciate it.
Brian

I see your intentions with the selective focus, but it does not work for me:

* On the first picture, the composition leads my eyes from the top flower (a good entry) towards the one at the bottom (a bad exit). I would have tried another composition, to lead the viewer's eye from the out-of-focus zone towards the on-focus part.

* On the second one, I first look to the top flower (which is out of focus, thus a disappointing moment); then I search around the picture looking for something else to look at (an unpleasant journey), and finally come upon the second flower. There are just two flowers here, almost on the same plane; I would have kept both of them focused.

Just my two cents, hope this helps.
Pages: [1]   Go Up