Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Arca Swiss M Line Two  (Read 32923 times)

cunim

Arca Swiss M Line Two
« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2009, 12:13:06 pm »

Quote from: carstenw
Didn't Joseph Holmes include something in his two articles:

http://www.josephholmes.com/news-medformatprecision.html

http://www.josephholmes.com/news-sharpmediumformat.html

I must confess that in spite of intending to, I never got around to reading through both, so my apologies if the information you are looking for isn't there. I only use a 22MP back which works well with my Contax 645 and Contax lenses. My Hasselblad-to-Contax adapter is out though, but I have ordered a Novoflex replacement. I don't use T/S cameras.

Gosh, all this precision alignment scares me.  Simple is good for someone as broadly challenged as I am.  I will modify my shooting to work with simple, as opposed to my equipment to work with complex.  Alpa order going in today.

adammork

Arca Swiss M Line Two
« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2009, 12:37:09 pm »

Quote from: CBarrett
The lateral shift showed a variation of .004" across 70mm.

-C

To be honest I allwas thought that all the talk about 0.01 mm was to much marketing talk and I thought with a smile on the face, that the fussiness about so small tolerances had something to do with the water they drink in switzerland :-)  - that was until I got a new back that had a bit different focus plane than the old, I took the adjustable Alpa V adapter and started to shim it - I don't smile anymore at the swiss, only at my own ignorance....... 0.1 mm (millimeter) change the focus a lot and yes you can just see a difference in 0.01 mm - it do not ruin the image at all, but there is a difference..... yes it's too scary
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 12:38:05 pm by adammork »

Bill Lawrence

• http://
Arca Swiss M Line Two
« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2010, 09:32:11 pm »

Hi Chris,

I enjoyed your review of the M-two back when it came out, and wondered if you had any comments on using this vs. using an Arca F (classic, metric, etc) 6x9 for an MFDB.  I'm considering one or the other for my H3 back for landscapes.  The M-two looks like a nice steady system for the back, but there are times when on 4x5 I like to use rear tilt for foreground emphasis, something I would miss in the M-two.  If worse comes to worse, I can always lean the body back and compensate with front tilt and rear rise, but that is a bit cumbersome.  I'm considering either the M-two or an F-metric 6x9, either with a Kapture group stitching back, for use in the field (untethered, ideally).  I'd appreciate hearing any experiences you've had.

Thanks!
Bill
Bill Lawrence
Photography: www.lawrences

JoeKitchen

Arca Swiss M Line Two
« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2010, 04:43:03 pm »

Few Questions on the M 2

First, does the swing and tilt on the front standard click into "0" position?

What is the smallest flange focal length for a lens that can be used with no sliding back (just placing the MFDB on the standard)? with a sliding digital back?  

Are there issues with using short focal length symmetrical focus lenses (like the Apo 35 xl) with a sliding back on the M2 like there is on the Sinar p3?  

Can anyone name a place within a reasonable drive (daytrip) of Philadelphia, PA, USA that may have one to look at?  

If anyone could answer any of these (especially the one about the flange focal length) I would very much appreciate it.
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

archivue

Arca Swiss M Line Two
« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2010, 07:30:03 pm »

What is the smallest flange focal length for a lens that can be used with no sliding back (just placing the MFDB on the standard)? with a sliding digital back?

you can mount every lenses available without the sliding back !

Are there issues with using short focal length symmetrical focus lenses (like the Apo 35 xl) with a sliding back on the M2 like there is on the Sinar p3?
No, it's ok for the 35XL... except that is quite hard to focus with a ground glass !

Kumar

• http://www.bskumarphotography.com
Arca Swiss M Line Two
« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2010, 08:08:44 pm »

Quote from: JoeKitchen

Curious to know about these issues. Are they lens-related only, or do they have to do with the P3 specifically?

Kumar

CBarrett

Arca Swiss M Line Two
« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2010, 08:58:34 pm »

I use a sliding back with my 35mm all the time. I'm usually able to hit focus on the groundglass.

JoeKitchen

Arca Swiss M Line Two
« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2010, 06:22:41 am »

Quote from: Kumar
Curious to know about these issues. Are they lens-related only, or do they have to do with the P3 specifically?

Kumar
I was looking at p3 reviews and it appears that with the short flange focal length of the Scheider 35xl, you may not be able to use a sliding back on the p3 with that lenses.  This is what I was told anyway (and read), but I plan on taking a trip to Fotocare and check out the p3 and that lens in person.

CBarrett

Arca Swiss M Line Two
« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2010, 08:32:18 am »

I was looking at p3 reviews and it appears that with the short flange focal length of the Scheider 35xl, you may not be able to use a sliding back on the p3 with that lenses.  This is what I was told anyway (and read), but I plan on taking a trip to Fotocare and check out the p3 and that lens in person.

The Sinars drive me nuts.  I hate the round rail, and the big clamp in between the standards makes no sense at all, much less flexibility in the field.

JoeKitchen

Arca Swiss M Line Two
« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2010, 08:59:14 am »

Wow, that does not make any sense, thanks for pointing it out.  Why would they design a system like that?  Well I guess with no obstacle to keep the standards from touching, the M2 would work well with short flange focal lengths.

Kumar

• http://www.bskumarphotography.com
Arca Swiss M Line Two
« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2010, 05:49:26 pm »

The clamp can be repositioned anywhere on the rail, so that's not too much of a hassle. I usually place it behind the rear standard  on the 6" rail unless I have to use 150mm or longer lenses.

Kumar

CBarrett

Arca Swiss M Line Two
« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2010, 07:44:23 pm »

Quote from: Kumar
The clamp can be repositioned anywhere on the rail, so that's not too much of a hassle. I usually place it behind the rear standard  on the 6" rail unless I have to use 150mm or longer lenses.

Kumar

Here's the issue I had with Sinar's... if I was shooting an interior with my tripod backed all the way up against a wall and wanted to back up a little bit more, I had to remove the front standard, pull the rail out of the clamp, replace the standard and slide the rail back into the clamp, screwing up focus and composition.  With an Arca, Linhof or even a Horseman you can just slide the rail back on it's clamp without moving the standards at all.

I think this is "too much of a hassle."  The standards themselves on the P's are beautifully done but the rail system has got to go.

asf

• http://www.adamfriedberg.com
Arca Swiss M Line Two
« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2010, 11:00:40 pm »

Rail Clamp II

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
Arca Swiss M Line Two
« Reply #73 on: January 23, 2010, 11:48:45 pm »

It's not ideal, but it can be done. SK Grimes machined a custom recessed P3 board for me about 3 years ago for the P3 for to work with the Schneider 35XL. It's not easy to access the controls, but it will work. The sliding back makes a difference, though. If it is a KaptureGroup sliding back, I don't believe it gets close enough because the KG slider fits into the rear frame of the P3, adding about a half inch of critical mass between the rear flange and the imaging plane. Because the Sinar sliding back actually replaces the rear frame of the P3, that - in combination with the SK Grimes custom recessed board - will work.

Otherwise, you could buy the Sinar digital lenses, which are already housed in recessed boards, but for 35mm you're limited to the 35HR (Rodenstock) with its small image circle. And of course, the extra expense (worth it to some).

Steve Hendrix
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

Rod.Klukas

• http://www.rodklukas.com
Arca Swiss M Line Two
« Reply #74 on: January 27, 2010, 12:13:03 am »

Quote from: CBarrett
I checked with Diane, the Arca Rep, and you can email her for pricing as well as dealer info.  From personal experience, Rod at Photomark really knows his Arca.

Diane Graham Henry <arcaswiss@aol.com>

Thank you Chris. this is my first post here and I'm always available to help with any Arca-Swiss questions.
Rod Klukas
US Representative Arca-Swiss
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up