Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Transfer Mac pro boot drive?  (Read 2198 times)

eleanorbrown

• Eleanor Brown Photography
Transfer Mac pro boot drive?
« on: November 04, 2009, 12:22:45 pm »

I have a question regarding using one boot drive for 2 identical computers.  I have 2 identical  Mac Pros in 2 different locations.  (only difference is that one computer has 20 gb ram and the second computer has 8 gb ram.  Of course they have different serial numbers.  What would happen if I removed my boot drive from Bay 1 on one computer and put it in Bay 1 on the second computer?  This would eliminating transferring files back and fourth, etc.

Many thanks, Eleanor
Eleanor Brown
[url=http://www.eleanorbro

Chris Gahran

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 12:51:42 am »

Yes, to the best of my knowledge you could move the internal drive from one MacPro to another.  The boot drive the computer uses is selected in System Preferences.  However I don't think the connectors used for internal drives are very robust and could present problems with frequent plugging and un-plugging.

Why not use an external Firewire portable hard drive?  They're fast and the connectors are built into the Mac.  If you get the right portable (there are several makes available) you will not need an external power supply for the drive.  The Apple Store can sell you a self-powered Firewire portable drive.  You'll need a cable for both Macs if you don't want to carry a cable along with the drive.  Easy solution and it gives you a place to keep back up files.

Chris

eleanorbrown

• Eleanor Brown Photography
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 10:22:13 am »

Great suggestions, thanks Chris. Eleanor

Quote from: Chris Gahran
Yes, to the best of my knowledge you could move the internal drive from one MacPro to another.  The boot drive the computer uses is selected in System Preferences.  However I don't think the connectors used for internal drives are very robust and could present problems with frequent plugging and un-plugging.

Why not use an external Firewire portable hard drive?  They're fast and the connectors are built into the Mac.  If you get the right portable (there are several makes available) you will not need an external power supply for the drive.  The Apple Store can sell you a self-powered Firewire portable drive.  You'll need a cable for both Macs if you don't want to carry a cable along with the drive.  Easy solution and it gives you a place to keep back up files.

Chris
Eleanor Brown
[url=http://www.eleanorbro
Pages: [1]   Go Up