Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about monitor profiles made HP APS  (Read 1872 times)

thomasmoran

Question about monitor profiles made HP APS
« on: November 03, 2009, 04:46:25 pm »

My workflow for generating a monitor profile for my 2007 Macbook pro is as follows. I use HP's APS and the supplied screen calibration device that came with the printer. When I go to calibrate the only on screen control that I have available to me is brightness and with it maxed out I only get to about 137 on the brightness scale when the target is 160. Other than that I let the software do its thing. I'm well aware that I'm after accurate colour and not pleasing colour but the profile that APS generates has what I would call a fairly strong magenta hue to the whites. So my question is this, have other people who use APS found the same thing in regards to calibration of their monitors and secondly is what I'm doing giving me a truly accurate profile or am I screwing something up that I'm not catching? Any info would be of a great.

Thomas

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 09:13:52 pm »

Quote from: thomasmoran
My workflow for generating a monitor profile for my 2007 Macbook pro is as follows. I use HP's APS and the supplied screen calibration device that came with the printer. When I go to calibrate the only on screen control that I have available to me is brightness and with it maxed out I only get to about 137 on the brightness scale when the target is 160. Other than that I let the software do its thing. I'm well aware that I'm after accurate colour and not pleasing colour but the profile that APS generates has what I would call a fairly strong magenta hue to the whites. So my question is this, have other people who use APS found the same thing in regards to calibration of their monitors and secondly is what I'm doing giving me a truly accurate profile or am I screwing something up that I'm not catching? Any info would be of a great.

Thomas
I have a MacBook Pro and APS.  I'm not sure about the brightness setting you are shooting for.  I have my target luminance set for 120.  It only goes to 140 in the APS target menu for me.  With the brightness cranked up, I just make it to 120 cd/m3.  I have more issues with the gamma, which usually can't hit the 2.2 curve.  I'm always a couple of points high, making it more contrasty than it should be.  I don't use the laptop screen for critical work, and my Cinema Display never has an issue hitting the target values.  I select native white point, 2.2 gamma, and 120 luminance when I profile.

I had a glitch happen a couple of months ago when everything went magenta/pink on me.  I could see the change happen part way through the profiling process, when the white in the menus changed to a light pink.  I wound up having to trash all of my preferences, repair permissions and a perform a couple of restarts, then APS stopped acting up on me and I haven't seen that behavior again.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

thomasmoran

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 10:42:56 pm »

Quote from: Colorwave
I have a MacBook Pro and APS.  I'm not sure about the brightness setting you are shooting for.  I have my target luminance set for 120.  It only goes to 140 in the APS target menu for me.  With the brightness cranked up, I just make it to 120 cd/m3.  I have more issues with the gamma, which usually can't hit the 2.2 curve.  I'm always a couple of points high, making it more contrasty than it should be.  I don't use the laptop screen for critical work, and my Cinema Display never has an issue hitting the target values.  I select native white point, 2.2 gamma, and 120 luminance when I profile.

I had a glitch happen a couple of months ago when everything went magenta/pink on me.  I could see the change happen part way through the profiling process, when the white in the menus changed to a light pink.  I wound up having to trash all of my preferences, repair permissions and a perform a couple of restarts, then APS stopped acting up on me and I haven't seen that behavior again.

Where do I trash the preferences and will this effect anything else? To repair the Permissions should I do this from the snow leopard disc? Thanks for the help.

thomasmoran

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 10:43:55 pm »

Quote from: Colorwave

Where do I trash the preferences and will this effect anything else? To repair the Permissions should I do this from the snow leopard disc? Thanks for the help.

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 02:08:38 am »

Quote from: thomasmoran
Users><(Username)>Library>Preferences>HP_APS and X-Rite
I think I also trashed all of the HP preferences, too.  It was a few months ago that I ran into this, but I don't remember any issues from this.  I would make sure that you have your APS registration info, just to be safe, but know that mine was not affected.  You can run the Disk Utility from the utilities folder of the install disk, or from another partition than your boot drive.  Some things are fixed just by running it from your boot drive, too.
Good luck with your problem.  I know how frustrating this type of thing can be.  If you get stuck, call HP and ask to speak with the Color Group, but for some reason these guys are really hard to get through to, even though they are the only ones familiar with APS.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 03:33:21 am »

I don't think you should be using 160cd/m2 as a target for an MBP. As Ron said, 120 is reasonable.
The newer LED MBP profile all right but the older ones had problems no matter the software. The base of the APS software is a hybrid i1 Match.
I know mine runs just as well with the i1 Match software . Try it , if it works it may solve the problem.

I would try to profile/calibrate to full bright, (brightness control hardware), 6500 K or D65, L 120 cd/m2. If it continues, If native is possible as a target white, then try that.

If anything dump the old profiles you created before calibrating.

As a last resort, the best one BTW is to download a demo of Color Eyes which will let you calibrate 10 times. Make sure you calibrate to the above settings, as you don't want to waste your 10 tries in getting there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up