Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What size Diopter for Hy6?  (Read 2453 times)

Mitchell Baum

What size Diopter for Hy6?
« on: November 03, 2009, 11:33:17 am »

I've successfully used a +1.5 diopter lens on a Leica M, and the +1.0 diopter setting on a Nikon D700.  

Should a +1.0 work on the Hy6?

With either the waist level or prism finder?

Are all cameras the same except possibly the M?

Hy6 diopters are expensive. I'm not sure I can find one. At least one dealer has told me I can't return them if I order the wrong one.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Best,

Mitchell

RAV

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 01:14:44 pm »

I have gone to my local optometrist for this. Most have individual glass disks in various diopters to hold up to eyeglasses. Hold one of these above the flip-out magnifier and see how it works for the waist level finder. You can probably do the same for the prism. The optometrist should be able to cut a custom disk for you for less than the cost of the OEM part. I'd go with high refractive index plastic and not glass.

rolleiflexpages

• http://www.rolleiflexpages.com
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 02:54:31 pm »

Dear Mitchell,

I would suggest you contact F&H directly on this one in order to get advice and avoid unnecessary expenses.
Pascal
Pascal Heyman - www.rolleiflexpages.com

Mitchell Baum

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 05:15:07 pm »

Thanks Rav and Pascal.

I will look into both of your suggestions.

Pascal, enjoyed looking at your Hy6/AFI/Rollie site. Very helpful.

I also just got a call from Steve Hendricks who is back working directly with photographers which I am and I'm sure many others are glad to hear.

Best,

Mitchell

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 06:34:10 pm »

Just to add a little bit of info....

The diopter in the 45 degree prism (at least for the 6000 series cameras but I think its the same except a different base for the Hy6) comes standard labeled as a +1 however its actual optical strength is something more like 8 diopters.   I had read this on the photo.net forum and confirmed it by taking my prism to an optician.     To summarize - if you need +1.5 diopters correction on the other cameras, then you might need a +2.5 diopter (or a +9.5 optical strength from optician)  on the Hy6 Prism.    I don't know if the WLF magnifier is the same between the Hy6 and 6008 so can only speak for 6000 series which came with -0.5 diopter magnifying inserts in the WLF. Anyone know if the WLF inserts are the same between Hy6 and 6000 series?  If so I may have a few different values.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 06:35:05 pm by EricWHiss »
Rolleiflex USA

rolleiflexpages

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 02:14:47 am »

Quote from: EricWHiss
Just to add a little bit of info....

The diopter in the 45 degree prism (at least for the 6000 series cameras but I think its the same except a different base for the Hy6) comes standard labeled as a +1 however its actual optical strength is something more like 8 diopters.   I had read this on the photo.net forum and confirmed it by taking my prism to an optician.     To summarize - if you need +1.5 diopters correction on the other cameras, then you might need a +2.5 diopter (or a +9.5 optical strength from optician)  on the Hy6 Prism.    I don't know if the WLF magnifier is the same between the Hy6 and 6008 so can only speak for 6000 series which came with -0.5 diopter magnifying inserts in the WLF. Anyone know if the WLF inserts are the same between Hy6 and 6000 series?  If so I may have a few different values.

The Hy6 manual says the following:

"To allow focusing without eyeglasses, the magnifier
of the folding hood can be changed for
one making allowance for the wearer´s visual
defect within a range of +2.5 to -4.5 dpt (as
referred to the dioptric value of the wearer).

The 45° Prism-finder gives an upright, rightside-
up view-finder image magnified 2.5x and
can be used in four different positions spaced
90° apart so that it makes for comfortable viewing
even in awkward shooting positions. As the
viewfinder is mounted, its display is automatically
adjusted for laterally correct presentation.

The 90° High-Eyepoint View-finder gives an
upright, right-side-up view-finder image magnified
3.4x. Its eyepiece can be easily adjusted
from +4 to -4 diopters. Its display is automatically
switched to laterally correct presentation.
The High-Eyepoint View-finder can likewise be
used in four different positions spaced 90° apart."

So, in short I do not believe you could exchange the diopter for the 45° prism finder, but it is possible for the other two finders.

Pascal

rolleiflexpages

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 02:17:52 am »

Another thought: since the 45° prism finder for the 6008 series can be adapted by F&H to be used with the Hy6 (change of mounting base only), I would tend to believe that both finders are as good as identical.

ThierryH

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 08:29:51 am »

Dear Pascal,

Just a little correction: the 45° 6008 series prism is (was) actually modified by Sinar. And yes, both are absolutely identical concerning quality.

Best regards,
Thierry

Quote from: rolleiflexpages
Another thought: since the 45° prism finder for the 6008 series can be adapted by F&H to be used with the Hy6 (change of mounting base only), I would tend to believe that both finders are as good as identical.
Pages: [1]   Go Up