Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Powering Schneider Electronic (SES) shutters  (Read 2954 times)

Dick Roadnight

Powering Schneider Electronic (SES) shutters
« on: November 03, 2009, 10:27:24 am »

I have had a PM asking:
Might your Apo-Digitar lenses be in Schneider electronic shutters?
IF yes, how are they powered, and connected to H3dii-50 ?

I have one lens in a Schneider Electronic Shutter (SES) (and intend to get a complete set of SES lenses for use with shutter-beams and pocket wizards) but I have not used it yet (I have been ill).

I think there are batteries in the hand control for the shutter ... you can controll the shutters from Phocus - I do not know if the whole system can take power from the firewire/computer if tethered?
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

bdp

• http://www.bendearnleyphotography.com
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 02:13:04 pm »

As far as I understand it there are 3 ways to power and operate these shutters:

1. With the Schneider USB box, which gets power either from the USB port on the computer or optionally from a wall socket plugged into the usb box. The shutter is activated by either a button connected to the USB box or the Schneider software (a tiny window) or your digi back's capture software can trigger the release command by talking to the Schneider software.

2. The Schneider Shutter Control ES, which is a hand controller that uses batteries and can also be powered from a wall socket. There is some mention in the instructions of the shutter being able to be controlled by your capture software when this unit is used, but I think only via the firewire cable, so your capture software has to be able to specifically control Schneider shutters without any other hardware devices, and in this case the ES unit acts as a power supply.

3. Your capture software can control the shutters directly, with just the addition of a 4 way cable made by Schneider between the shutter and the back, that goes to the trigger input on the back, the 'winder' output on the back, and power from a wall socket. The only software I know of that could do this was Eyelike Capture Pro, and I think some Hasselblad or Imacon software.

Ben

BJNY

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 05:47:49 pm »

Thank you two for the info in this thread.
Guillermo

bdp

• http://www.bendearnleyphotography.com
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 04:17:04 am »

More detailed info, manuals and various technical pdfs at this page on Schneider's website.

Ben
Pages: [1]   Go Up