Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photos of Dublin. All comments apreciated.  (Read 3972 times)

Enda Cavanagh

• http://www.endacavanagh.com
Photos of Dublin. All comments apreciated.
« on: November 03, 2009, 07:02:41 am »

Hi there
I'm working on a series of urban landscapes in Dublin, Ireland. I'd love to hear any comments you guys have.

[attachment=17667:Blackroc...tation_1.jpg]
[attachment=17670:Dun_Laog...Baths_1A.jpg]
[attachment=17669:The_Forty_Foot_1a.jpg]
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 05:36:14 pm by Enda Cavanagh »

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 08:28:44 am »

Quote from: Enda Cavanagh
Hi there
I'm working on a series of urban landscapes in Dublin, Ireland. I'd love to hear any comments you guys have.

[attachment=17641:Blackroc...tation_1.jpg]
[attachment=17642:Dun_Laog...Baths_1A.jpg]
[attachment=17643:The_Forty_Foot_1a.jpg]

Very pleasantly moody shots; the first one is really interesting with the blurred figure and distant rainbow from inside what looks like a SciFi movie set.

Consider uploading smaller images; the files are really too big to appreciate on a computer monitor.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 12:42:51 pm »

Hi there

Excellent! These photos all have a wonderful sense of space to them along with a slight sense of "painting" feel while remaining clearly photographic.

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 01:38:12 pm »

Well, I do not like the first one, that blurred figure ruins it for me; but I like the colors from the three of them.

Enda Cavanagh

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 05:39:48 pm »

Quote from: Geoff Wittig
Very pleasantly moody shots; the first one is really interesting with the blurred figure and distant rainbow from inside what looks like a SciFi movie set.

Consider uploading smaller images; the files are really too big to appreciate on a computer monitor.

Hi Geoff. Thanks for your comments. I reduced the size down.

Here's another one I took on the same day.
[attachment=17671:Blackroc...409_0423.jpg]

Mike Louw

• http://www.dreaminglight.com
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 05:50:48 pm »

I prefer the placement of figures in this one to the single figure in the first one; more balanced.
The DART coming in on the left adds to the balance of the composition, IMO.
Pity there's no rainbow :-)
I like the processing too.
Mike

Enda Cavanagh

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 07:46:43 pm »

Quote from: mikelouw
I prefer the placement of figures in this one to the single figure in the first one; more balanced.
The DART coming in on the left adds to the balance of the composition, IMO.
Pity there's no rainbow :-)
I like the processing too.
Mike

You don't know how many times I've thought the same thing about the rainbow.

JBerardi

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 09:44:18 pm »

You don't know how many times I've thought the same thing about the rainbow.

I know the feeling, but the second shot is, imho, a much stronger composition overall. The strong diagonal lines of the walkway play off the subtle curve of the train tracks really nicely. It has more of a natural "flow" to it than the version with the rainbow. More of a feeling of depth. Plus, the motion-blurred people work better for me in the second shot, and even without the rainbow you've still got wonderful colors in the sky. I think it's great the way it is.

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 01:45:26 am »

I like it more than the first one: the blurred figures are less prominent here; the composition and the colors look great.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 01:53:17 am by EduPerez »

gdh

• https://www.facebook.com/Gallery833-Fine-Art-in-Redding-160225810674500/
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009, 03:14:14 am »

I like your work; nice combination of color and lighting along with technical excellence.  Tell us how you made them--I'm interested.

Hi there

colinb

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2009, 11:13:02 am »

I like the photos a lot. The state of the Dun Laoghaire Baths came as a shock to me given that I swam there as a child. Can I really be that old? If you were trying to convey an air of decay and ruin, you surely succeeded!

Hi there

Enda Cavanagh

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2009, 07:49:59 pm »

Quote from: gdh
I like your work; nice combination of color and lighting along with technical excellence.  Tell us how you made them--I'm interested.

Well first off, it helps that your are within 5 minutes walking distance of the subject matter, when you live in Ireland. That's 90% of the work done. That still gives about 43.2357 seconds to get the shot.
On the 2 panoramic shots, I used a hasselblad H3D  with a Cambo wide DS. They are actually 2 images splice together using stitcher unlimited.

I used Photomatix pro to create all 3 images, but I didn't create HDR Files. Instead I used the exposure fusion tool. You get much more naturalistic results than with HDR, while still getting a lot of detail in the highlights and shadows. The skies on all 3 were really that intense. You get these amazing sunsets in Dun Laoghaire in Dublin where I live. I only started using the exposure fusion tool recently. Before I created the HDR file, than tweeked the exposure in CS4, than tone mapped it in photomatix and finally did most editing in CS4. This took forever, especially as a lot of my images are panoramics. Also I found my self really holding back on the HDR affects to make the image realistic looking while giving the added detail in the highlights and shadows. With the exposure fusion tool, it's fantastic. It really speeds things up. The results at times are amazing before you even start working on it in CS.

Enda Cavanagh

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2009, 07:52:47 pm »

Quote from: JBerardi
I know the feeling, but the second shot is, imho, a much stronger composition overall. The strong diagonal lines of the walkway play off the subtle curve of the train tracks really nicely. It has more of a natural "flow" to it than the version with the rainbow. More of a feeling of depth. Plus, the motion-blurred people work better for me in the second shot, and even without the rainbow you've still got wonderful colors in the sky. I think it's great the way it is.

No I agree.

I prefer the panoramic. I just remember going hell for leather trying to get the rainbow in both, but of course it was gone by the time I could take the shot.

Enda Cavanagh

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2009, 08:03:38 pm »

Quote from: colinb
I like the photos a lot. The state of the Dun Laoghaire Baths came as a shock to me given that I swam there as a child. Can I really be that old? If you were trying to convey an air of decay and ruin, you surely succeeded!

The Dun Laoghaire baths in Dublin are ugly and decayed, but for me structures like this have so much character. I am a landscape photographer.  I was away for several years and am back now in Ireland since 1998. I'm living in Dublin and I hadn't taken any photos of Dublin until a year ago. I just found Dublin so ascetically mundane. You don't have the traditional urban beauty, you would fine in many other cities. But somewhere along the way I realized this ugliness if you like is what gives Ireland it's character. It's a bit like our personalities- a bit chaotic.

Pages: [1]   Go Up