Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon S90 Review  (Read 4519 times)

Ed Blagden

Canon S90 Review
« on: November 03, 2009, 03:08:08 am »

Michael

Thanks for the review of the Canon S90 - I'm seriously considering it as a pocket camera.  I was wondering how the camera performed in terms of AF speed and shutter lag?  These are, for me at least, the two major problems with most P&S digicams.

svein

Canon S90 Review
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 05:37:33 pm »

I've got another question about the S90 review, and hope it's OK that I use the same thread.

My question is about the the Panasonic FX150 which also suppport RAW and is about the same size and weight, maybe even slightly smaller and lighter. Any thoughts about this model compared to S90?

michael

Canon S90 Review
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 06:05:13 pm »

AF and shooting speed are very good for a P&S. Sorry, but I am unfamiliar with the FX150.

Michael
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 06:06:12 pm by michael »

sabatia

Canon S90 Review
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 08:27:51 am »

I bought an S90 last week to supplement my two DSLRs. This is my first real compact camera in digital, though I had a Canon Pro1, which took images in good light that were very usable, but no stabilization and poor low-light performance and not really a compact. I have been waiting years to buy a small compact, but was put off by the small sensor's lack of IQ. I watched the LX1 hopefully, but when the reviews, tests and images came out, I decided not to pull the trigger. Same for the LX2. I was intrigued by the Fuji F200, but the reviews again showed that it was not up to my image quality standards. (I mostly print 17x22) The LX3 finally gave better IQ but the short zoom limited its use for me; also on the big side.

In the days of film I had myself a beautiful little Contax TVS. And though not a compact, I had the full-kit Contax G2 black. This S90 is, like those, a jewel, solidly constructed and a pleasure to hold and look at. And it met my requirements: Decent zoom range. Image stabilization. Raw. And, most importantly, good image quality.

Though it ain't a DSLR, it takes very good quality images. I have pixel-peeped and now made two 17x22 prints. And its a lot easier for this sixty plus year old guy to lug up the hills and mountains that he loves than a 50D with two or three lenses. An impressive little jewel.

No doubt we will soon see other compacts that focus on IQ rather than pixel numbers. Probably the LX4 will increase the zoom range. But at this moment, the S90 is the best photographer's pocket camera.
Pages: [1]   Go Up