Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: APS for HP Z3100 Does not activate under windows 7  (Read 3696 times)

hilljf

• http://photos.johnfhill.com
APS for HP Z3100 Does not activate under windows 7
« on: November 02, 2009, 08:22:59 pm »

Has anyone tried this or hopefully solved the problem.  To upgrade I had to do a clean install of Windows 7.  The HP APS software installs fine but when working through the activation steps, insists that I enter proxy settings for the network which is absurd given I have no proxy.   The FAQ suggests that upon getting this message, one upgrade the software.  I have the most current version 1.4, but HP/Xrite has not seemed to put a sustainable solution into the software, given that this must have occured during the vista cycle.

anyone with any luck on this one.  HP chat support is generally unavailable and therefore unhelpful.

John

jland

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 08:38:28 pm »

I found exactly the same thing. My solution for now is to use the i1Match software (download from the X-Rite site) to calibrate the monitor and boot up in XP to make paper profiles. Save them to the printer and then synchronize the paper list when you're back in Win7.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 03:27:26 am »

Quote from: hilljf
Has anyone tried this or hopefully solved the problem.  To upgrade I had to do a clean install of Windows 7.  The HP APS software installs fine but when working through the activation steps, insists that I enter proxy settings for the network which is absurd given I have no proxy.   The FAQ suggests that upon getting this message, one upgrade the software.  I have the most current version 1.4, but HP/Xrite has not seemed to put a sustainable solution into the software, given that this must have occured during the vista cycle.

anyone with any luck on this one.  HP chat support is generally unavailable and therefore unhelpful.

John

APS 1.4 works with Vista on the Z3100 and Z3200. Clean install too. In fact it works better with the Z3100 as that combo allows the upload of the profile to the printer. With the Z3200 you have to use printer utilty to get that fixed.  That has been reported to HP but X-rite should debug this is the reply. Meanwhile I don't think APS offers better printer profiles on the Z3200 than HP's Color Center does. On the Z3100 APS is still better.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

astagg

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 11:34:13 am »

I have the same problem. I have a support call in with HP and so far their only comment has been 'The security settings with Internet explorer 8' under windows 7 can cause problems.

I will keep you informed of the progress with the call.

I wonder if the activate writes a file or setting somewhere to enable the software. If this was the case we could activate under xp/vista and then copy the file to the win 7 machine.

Andrew
www.andrewstagg.com
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 11:35:02 am by astagg »

hilljf

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 12:01:10 pm »

Thanks please let me know if you learn anything.    I tried installing in "XP mode" under windows 7 which puts the app in an XP virtual machine,  However, in this configuration it does not read the code off the i-one device.    I may be forced to set up a multi-boot on the machine and boot into XP to use this tool.

Quote from: astagg
I have the same problem. I have a support call in with HP and so far their only comment has been 'The security settings with Internet explorer 8' under windows 7 can cause problems.

I will keep you informed of the progress with the call.

I wonder if the activate writes a file or setting somewhere to enable the software. If this was the case we could activate under xp/vista and then copy the file to the win 7 machine.

Andrew
www.andrewstagg.com

hilljf

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 08:17:23 pm »

Some progress.

I was able to install Windows XP in VMware workstation 7, install APS and get it to activate properly.   I will now be testing the profiling process to see how well that works,  However, it appears that VMware's support for a virtual XP machine on Windows 7 is more robust that that offered by Microsoft.

John

hilljf

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 02:00:01 pm »

oops,   I wrote too soon,  I was able to get the software to activate,  it even went through the entire process of printing and reading a target.  But at the step where APS is to calculate the profile,  the software apparently uses different code to go find the Eye 1 puck and reports it can't find it even though it is there and is visible in the virtual machine.     So, no cigar so far.   The only approach may be to set up the machine as a dual boot system.

Quote from: hilljf
Some progress.

I was able to install Windows XP in VMware workstation 7, install APS and get it to activate properly.   I will now be testing the profiling process to see how well that works,  However, it appears that VMware's support for a virtual XP machine on Windows 7 is more robust that that offered by Microsoft.

John

Gurglamei

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 08:26:12 am »

Which driver are you using?

I seem to recall that when I first read this post, I could not find Win 7 drivers for the Z3200, so I assumed you were using the Vista driver as I know people were using it under the beta period.

Today I found Win 7 drivers for the printer, however I became unsure if I might have missed them last time and that they actually have been there all along....

Hence I am woundering if the problem was related to the driver and if it may have been fixed now?

Christopher
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 08:33:25 am by Gurglamei »

ThePhotoDude

• Fine Art, Landscape and Travel Photographer
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2009, 03:07:38 pm »

This is quite an easy fix as APS uses a licence key that can be copied over from a previous activation in XP.

The key is located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\HP-APS (This is a hidden folder so you will need to 'show hidden files and folders' option)
 - Inside this folder is 'registration.key'
 - In Windows 7 dump that file into C:\ProgramData\HP-APS - (Again hidden folder - if the HP-APS folder doesn't exsist, create it.)
 - Enjoy APS!

The above assumes C:\ as system drive in both XP and Win7, but if they are different or you have dual booted that use correct drive letters as appropriate.

John

stevenh

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2009, 03:23:22 pm »

wow... excellent. Thanks!!

Quote from: ThePhotoDude
This is quite an easy fix as APS uses a licence key that can be copied over from a previous activation in XP.

The key is located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\HP-APS (This is a hidden folder so you will need to 'show hidden files and folders' option)
 - Inside this folder is 'registration.key'
 - In Windows 7 dump that file into C:\ProgramData\HP-APS - (Again hidden folder - if the HP-APS folder doesn't exsist, create it.)
 - Enjoy APS!

The above assumes C:\ as system drive in both XP and Win7, but if they are different or you have dual booted that use correct drive letters as appropriate.

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up