Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: What about Hasselblad  (Read 51045 times)

Rob C

What about Hasselblad
« Reply #140 on: November 13, 2009, 02:41:57 pm »

Quote from: gdwhalen
I must be in the minority because I love the way the Hasselblad fits in my hand.  I think it is tremendously easy to shoot and very well balanced.  I always felt that the DMR was lens heavy while the H3d-50 seems to be balanced tight to the front of the camera.  I love holding it while shooting it.
[/b]

That's an expensive feeling, but possibly well worth it. (Just a joke, Keith, honest!)

I remember that many years ago, in one of those leaflets that Hasselbad used to produce now and again, they ran an article on mirror vibration. In it, they published two photographs of the same subject, tripod mounted, one with MU and the other without MU. Their point, and illustration to prove it, was that it is impossible for any MF camera to be free of mirror-induced vibration because of the kinetic energy released by all that weight.

I thought it very honest of H and I guess they were willing to demonstrate the point simply because the competition couldn't do any better. So what can be expected to have changed? Physics is physics. My greatest disappointment when moving from my second-hand Rollei T to my first brand-new Hasselblad 500C was there in my face the first shoot I did with it in the fresh air, hand-held with the basic 80mm. That hellish bounce. I have to agree with an earlier poster that some cameras more or les demand either tripods or studio flash or both!

Rob C

cyberean

What about Hasselblad
« Reply #141 on: November 13, 2009, 02:43:21 pm »

[!--quoteo(post=324671:date=Nov 13 2009, 12:24 PM:name=)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE ( @ Nov 13 2009, 12:24 PM) [a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=324671\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]I love holding it while shooting it.[/quote]
some actually love holding it more than shooting it
(... cameras, that is)

AlexM

• Alex Maxim fashion and glamour photographer in Toronto
What about Hasselblad
« Reply #142 on: November 13, 2009, 02:43:28 pm »

I must be in the minority because I love the way the Hasselblad fits in my hand.  I think it is tremendously easy to shoot and very well balanced.  I always felt that the DMR was lens heavy while the H3d-50 seems to be balanced tight to the front of the camera.  I love holding it while shooting it.

I love the hasselblad body and the grip as well. I have no idea why some people complain about it. I mostly shoot verticals in studio and am very happy with the grip. Would never go for a vertical one.

Alex

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
What about Hasselblad
« Reply #143 on: November 13, 2009, 02:53:27 pm »

You are definitely in the minority I guess from the sound of it. I have no real issues holding the H but I surely can think of numerous little things that I believe are quite easy to change that would make holding it a much nicer experience.

A vertical grip might be a real task to do but how about having dents in the battery to fit your fingers? Or how about putting the backside wheel just slightly more towards the middle so you can reach it with your thumb while still keeping a fairly good grip on the body? Ever tried putting a remote in the body? The placing of these small things can make a big difference. It should not be that hard to at least have a look at that.

I can remember when I changed from a D200 to a D300 where Nikon slightly altered the angle of the rear and front dial so it would feel more natural and easy to use. Which it did.

Great image of the intended market BTW....
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 02:55:00 pm by Dustbak »

AlexM

• Alex Maxim fashion and glamour photographer in Toronto
What about Hasselblad
« Reply #144 on: November 13, 2009, 03:04:18 pm »

Quote from: Dustbak
Ever tried putting a remote in the body?

Yes, remote control socket could go on the left side of the body. But I am happy with the smooth grip and the control wheel location.

gdwhalen

• http://www.gdwhalen.com
What about Hasselblad
« Reply #145 on: November 13, 2009, 03:10:44 pm »

Quote from: Oleksiy
Yes, remote control socket could go on the left side of the body. But I am happy with the smooth grip and the control wheel location.

I am happy with the batter grip and control wheel location as well.  They fit perfectly for me.

gdwhalen

What about Hasselblad
« Reply #146 on: November 13, 2009, 03:11:24 pm »

Quote from: cyberean
some actually love holding it more than shooting it
(... cameras, that is)

VERY true.

bcooter

What about Hasselblad
« Reply #147 on: November 13, 2009, 03:15:54 pm »

Great image of the intended market BTW....

I'm not making light of this podas group, I just think this is where the market for expensive cameras is heading.

Obviously Phase One thinks so because they set this up for this group, not at the Piers or Smashbox.

It's interesting that one of the best photographers I know opens his website with new images shot with the Panasonic G camera and the format doesn't change anything, it's the content and he like most of us realizes that it's the content and his talent that moves him forward, not the camera.

I think this podas* group is the perfect market for this 60 something megapixel cameras because they do photography for the enjoyment, without the pressures of budget restraints and 10 clients staring into a monitor.  They have the time to reflect on their images without deadlines and if they take an extra hour to shoot something, it doesn't break the budget.  

I personally hope they all buy new cameras, because that will keep the makers going.

BC

*I do think there should have been a rethink on the name podas though.

Just POA, is easier to understand and sounds better to say I'm a Phase One Artist, rather than a podas.

IMO
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 03:23:27 pm by bcooter »

gwhitf

What about Hasselblad
« Reply #148 on: November 13, 2009, 04:01:34 pm »

"Recession? What recession...?"

Compared to Hasselblad's www.hassynyc.com, and their Target Market, it looks like Phase is going after the right segment -- the ones with cash and disposable income.

Seems smart to me. Not quite as sexy as Hasselblad, but a good business move maybe.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
What about Hasselblad
« Reply #149 on: November 13, 2009, 04:04:59 pm »

I am happy with the batter grip and control wheel location as well.  They fit perfectly for me.

Really? For me the wheels seem to far away from my fingers. Where they fall right under my thumb and middle finger with my Nikons I have a hard time on the Hasselblad. They are simply too far away. The back wheel is sofar away the body almost falls out of your hand when you want to dial in something and holding the body in your right hand only.

gdwhalen

What about Hasselblad
« Reply #150 on: November 13, 2009, 04:18:49 pm »

Really? For me the wheels seem to far away from my fingers. Where they fall right under my thumb and middle finger with my Nikons I have a hard time on the Hasselblad. They are simply too far away. The back wheel is sofar away the body almost falls out of your hand when you want to dial in something and holding the body in your right hand only.

Everyone has different sized hands I guess.  Fits me perfectly.

arashm

What about Hasselblad
« Reply #151 on: November 14, 2009, 12:56:30 am »

I feel like I need to jump in at this point...
I have asked for a vertical grip every time I've had the chance, I guess most like to shoot off a tripod.
here is an image of yours truly from the last week. Some one at H should try hand holding this combo in vertical format all day long, and then tell me how comfy it is at the end of the day.
and every time I had to let go of the camera with my left hand for a split second to gesture or direct people on set, honestly the battery felt like it can snap right off (has actually happened to me with the 55-110)
Even low end DSLR's ship with optional vertical grips, why is this so impossible for Hasselblad?
anyways...
am

Dick Roadnight

What about Hasselblad
« Reply #152 on: November 14, 2009, 08:47:21 am »

Quote from: arashm
I have asked for a vertical grip every time I've had the chance, I guess most like to shoot off a tripod.
If you use a 4Kg camera hand-held all day, you can do without going to the gym in the evening!

The camera would still be heavy even with a vertical grip ... have you tried/considered a monopod?
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

Carsten W

What about Hasselblad
« Reply #153 on: November 14, 2009, 09:37:32 am »

Quote from: Dick Roadnight
If you use a 4Kg camera hand-held all day, you can do without going to the gym in the evening!

The camera would still be heavy even with a vertical grip ... have you tried/considered a monopod?

One of the new Manfrottos with the pistol grip and compressed air might be good for this type of use...
Carsten W - [url=http://500px.com/Carste

gwhitf

What about Hasselblad
« Reply #154 on: November 14, 2009, 09:42:04 am »

Quote from: arashm
honestly the battery felt like it can snap right off (has actually happened to me with the 55-110)
Even low end DSLR's ship with optional vertical grips, why is this so impossible for Hasselblad?

Arashm,

I love this picture, in so many ways. I want to take it, and open it in Photoshop, and add Canvas, with a bunch of white around your head, and then take a bunch of those Cartoon Bubbles, and paste them in above your head. These would be all the thoughts that are coming out of your brain, simultaneously, while you're shooting that job.

(And for the record, I was shooting a studio job once, too, with the H1, and literally had the Grip break off in my hand too. Somehow we got it back on, and the camera kept going, but i've been scared of that grip ever since.)

These would be the Cartoon Bubbles of your thoughts, in any given moment:

1. "Wow, this feels like the old Modern Detective magazine, where they put the black bar over the eyes, to conceal their identity. Great design, Pocket Wizard!" (Or did Pocket Wizard and Hasselblad design it this way on purpose, in order to keep your attention on the viewfinder image?)

2. "My left arm hurts."

3. "I'm trying to keep the horizon level, but I've got my left arm sorta against my chest, and trying to keep my elbow against my chest, in order to get a break from the weight, but I've got my right hand on the Grip, but I need to change Fstop by a half-stop, but when I take my Right Thumb from where it is, and try to move that Wheel, I get a CharleyHorse".

4. "I'm hungry. Are there bagels here?"

5. LeftBrain: "What is it, f8, or fFive Six and a half...? Can somebody take a Reading?" Right Brain: "How is the light, is it too centered, is it too boring, should I roll the keylight stand over to the right, to give it more Shadow?"

6. "Damn, did I just break off the PocketWizard with my forehead?"

7. "Wow my left arm REALLY hurts now. What time is it?"

8. "If we're shooting strobe, why didn't somebody put some foamcore up in those window to black them out. My LeftBrain is getting fooled."

9. "Where is the client?"

10. "Man, it sure would be nice to have a Vertical Grip for this camera, so I could just stand normally, in a vertical position, and rest both arms against my chest, like they taught me in school, even though I'm shooting strobe, but where I wouldn't have a CharleyHorse by the third shot. Does anybody have the name of a good Chiropractor?"

11. "How much glass do they really NEED to put into a 50-110 anyway? Seriously".

12. "God, I hope I get paid on this gig. At least we billed the TREC rental direct".

13. "How come it's easier for the Talent to see what fstop I'm on, than me?"

14. "I know I told that model that I was that guy on Entourage on HBO, but the way she's looking at me, I'm not sure she's buying it. What's that that just fell out of her nose?".

15. "Did the front element just fall out of my lens? What's that on the floor?"

16. "God, I'm glad I sold them on shooting this job with Strobe. Can you imagine trying to hold this camera all day long, in this position, shooting window light, at 1/60th...?"
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 10:03:48 am by gwhitf »

BrianSmith

• Celebrity Portrait Photographer Brian Smith
What about Hasselblad
« Reply #155 on: November 14, 2009, 09:53:53 am »

Quote from: bcooter
*I do think there should have been a rethink on the name podas though.

Just POA, is easier to understand and sounds better to say I'm a Phase One Artist, rather than a podas.

IMO

PITA was already taken

BlasR

• http://BMRWorldPhotos.com
What about Hasselblad
« Reply #156 on: November 14, 2009, 04:50:57 pm »

By the end of the years we all will keep thinking what will be the best camera/beer
BlasR
  [url=http://www.BMRWORLDPHOTOS.CO

arashm

What about Hasselblad
« Reply #157 on: November 16, 2009, 09:32:58 pm »

For the Record I shoot both Hasselblad and Phase, don't own but rent, and sometimes the decision is based on lens availability or even a "deal/special" at a rental house. I'm good with phocus and C1, also shoot tons of canon and my new fav. camera is the panny GF1
so you can figure out where I sit on this for yourself.

Dick Roadnight:

it's not the weight that's a problem, and yes a vertical grip would add even more weight, it's that to hold the camera in vertical you now have to extend your right arm and elbow high and away from your body, with nothing to brace it on, and your wrist is holding the weight down under your arm and wrist.
any support would have to come from your left hand, a vertical grip will allow your elbows to be down by your sides and even supported by your torso.
On this shoot there is too much movement on set to keep up with, I would just use a tripod if I went the monopod route.

GWHITF:

your comments made me laugh partly because they are very close to my reality.
Do as you wish with the image and post it back if you want, should be fun.

4) we actually had this excellent home made yogurt and granola as part of the breaky spread, definitely a hit.
5) NO keep the light in the center, everyone wants edgy and modern on set but you know better that you'll have to clean up the shadow's in post to make it "clean and safe".
6) True, why are the new PW plus 2's made so cheap and plasticky?
12) Umm Yes, but I do take 50% up front almost always, been around the track too many times now to fall for that one....
16) Actually I shoot a lot of Kino Flo stuff, hence the canon usage.

On a more serious note, I do enjoy shooting with H Blad, it's just that the vertical grip thing is a bit of a sore spot for me (no pun)
There is a couple of things I'd like to see and refined in Phocus and I think I'll get them in 2.0...
The LCD on the back is good, I can still get the info I need from it, there is actually a direction pad so I can zoom in and go around in all 4 directions...
And for the most part I think the glass is great.
Wish it had a few more focus points... and in general there is room for improvement.
anyways, back to running files
am

gwhitf

What about Hasselblad
« Reply #158 on: November 16, 2009, 09:55:42 pm »

Quote from: David Grover / Hasselblad
Metz SCA 3002.
Works with compatible Metz units.

Mr David Grover:

Can you advise? Metz website shows four flash units compatible with H2. I want the Meat Tenderizer design, with the handle and the whacker. B&H lists these two. Can you advise which is most compatible, easier to use, with H2? Thank you.

Metz 76 MZ-5:   http://tinyurl.com/yj58jwo

Metz 45 CL-4    http://tinyurl.com/yl23wnq

They also list some of these as "Basic Kit" and others as "Digital Kit". Is there a YouTube video anywhere that shows how to hook up one of these Metzes to my H2?  

bcooter

What about Hasselblad
« Reply #159 on: November 16, 2009, 10:58:46 pm »

Quote from: gwhitf
Mr David Grover:
Is there a YouTube video anywhere that shows how to hook up one of these Metzes to my H2?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYWDfPE5dik...feature=related
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up