Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: What about Hasselblad  (Read 51128 times)

oscar falero

What about Hasselblad
« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2009, 09:08:41 am »

Quote from: gdwhalen
Are you a bat?  They use radar.  I use light.  Light is photography.  The lack of light or the need to be able to shoot in the lack of light is odd to me.  Light is photography.  The lack of light is darkness.  Light shapes, darkness hides.  

I'm kidding here but I do not understand the fixation on high ISO's.  Are we astronomers or photographers?   Voyeurs or photographers?  Light is good.

Yes, light is good but to a degree. It depends what you're after. Lower light levels makes the light less obvious in a shot, thus making the image feel more natural. So quality becomes more important than quantity.

Its easy for amateurs or those who shoot fashion ala 1980's look to over-light a set and feel like they're now a pro, but feeling and embracing the light often happens when its at much lower levels.

Having an excellent 400 iso option and good 800 is a must when working in natural light with artificial light source as a complement. I love the detail of my P45, but at low light levels, unless I'm on a tripod, 99% I will reach for my Canon. There is obvious limitations with CCD's that keep them from getting to higher ISO levels, but its the fact that nothing is changing in MF, while DSLRs keep moving forward.

The name of the post is "what about Hasselblad"-  I say...Hassy, Phase, Leaf and Sinar are all the same to a degree when there is lot of light on the set. The only thing that sets them apart is software and workflow. For years photographers have been asking for bigger sensors, better LCDs, higher ISOs, not to mention cameras we can connect with, instead we get more MP and now higher prices with crap upgrade paths.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 10:51:21 am by oscar falero »

Hywel

• http://www.restrainedelegance.com
What about Hasselblad
« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2009, 09:34:48 am »

Quote from: David Grover / Hasselblad
That's a good question and I will enquire.

Yes, you can reprocess 3FR's to get larger previews.  This is when the preview is created.

Thanks- figured that was when the preview was created.

Would be nice to reprocess the fff's to re-embed the preview if you chose the wrong settings initially  

Makes me think I probably should back up the 3FR's as well in future, just in case. Double the storage space which is annoying- although I think Phocus can preview 3FR without importing (and hence creating the FFFs) these days? On my laptop I generally just want a quick flick through to make sure things are OK, and the laptop is the thing with limited storage space where having two versions of each 50 MB capture was an issue. Which is why I captured direct from the card, and didn't save the 3FR's.

I may be forced to move from Aperture to Lightroom for DAM and basic retouching, at least in the short term, and so 3FR archiving supports other workflows that might be useful, too. At least I'd be able to see the unprocessed images in my library. It is annoying that Lightroom won't even acknowledge the existence of the FFF's- makes managing them a pain. (Hooray for Aperture at least seeing them, even if its treatment of colours of FFF files is quite odd and nothing like as lovely as the output from Phocus. But boo- Aperture just plain curls up and dies when presented with a hundred 180 MB 16-bit TIFFs to retouch and export, especially if you try to use a plugin like Portraiture. Hence the probable move to LR).

My ideal of course would be for Phocus to do the stuff I need from Aperture/LR, which would remove a step from my processing workflow and have me dancing hallelujahs. Non-destructive local healing and dust spot/clone brush, output sharpening, image watermark overlay on export, and ideally some sort of automask plus smoothing for skintones a la the Portraiture plugin and I could forget Aperture/Lightroom/Photoshop for 95+% of my work, which would be AMAZING.

Cheers, Hywel.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 09:38:20 am by Hywel »

TMARK

What about Hasselblad
« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2009, 10:36:30 am »

Quote from: oscar falero
Yes, light is good but to a degree. It depends what you're after. Lower light levels makes the light less obvious in a shot, thus making the image feel more natural. So quality becomes more important than quantity.

Its easy for amateurs or those who shoot fashion ala 1980's look to over-light a set and feel like they're now a pro, but feeling and embracing the light often happens when its at much lower levels.

Having an excellent 400 iso option and good 800 is a must when working in natural light with artificial light source as a complement. I love the detail of my P45, but at low light levels unless I'm on a tripod, 99% I will reach for my Canon. There is obvious limitations with CCD's that keep them from getting to higher ISO levels, but its the fact that nothing is changing in MF while DSLRs keep moving forward.

The name of the post is "what about Hasselblad"-  I say...Hassy, Phase, Leaf and Sinar are all the same to a degree when there is lot of light on the set. The only thing that sets them apart is software and workflow. For years photographers have been asking for bigger sensors, better LCDs, higher ISOs, not to mention cameras we can connect with, instead we get more MP and now higher prices with crap upgrade paths.

Yes, to all points.

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
What about Hasselblad
« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2009, 03:41:52 pm »

To put things into perspective...

We are guilty of thinking that USA/Europe is the world in it's entirety...

David

Dave,

I don't think most of us who have worked and shot in world markets consider the U.S., western Europe, or even NY the only place great photography is produced.  In fact I think Hong Kong is probably as advanced as any city I've worked, the crews the most capable, the work ethic off the wall.

I love the people in Seoul, they run at a different pace than HK or Tokyo, but they are nice, honest, gentle and very positive.  Also very smart.

Tokyo to me is the most different, to a westerner,  but I love working with Japanese clients, it just takes a different mind set when it comes to communication and a course in being respectful but for any photographer to think that any country or market is the ONLY place would be very short sided.

Maybe that's your point.

JR

bcooter

What about Hasselblad
« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2009, 03:53:24 pm »

That's a good question and I will enquire.

For everyone sorry for the long post.

David,

Take this is the best possible way.

I have to admit I'm a little confused about medium format.  Leaf has about 4 names for the same back, Phase seems to be going to the Dalsa route, leaving Kodak behind but now that they have Leaf and Mamiya it takes a play book to know what a dl22 is over a Mamiya ZD2, vs a Leaf 5  and Hasselblad seems to have come leaps and bounds since the Imacon days, but there are things I don't really understand about the Hasselblad system.

If I could get all three of the medium format players into an interview room I'd asked a series of questions, but since you are in the room, here goes.   Don't worry, I'm not going to mention lcd's and higher iso because I think at this stage we all know that medium format is what it is so the questions I'm asking are exactly what I would need to know if I decided to change camera systems.

1.  What is the Hasselblad file format?   Are there two, or three and if so why?  I hear fff and 3fr thrown around, even dng, but if you shoot to a cf card what is the format and is it the same format as if you tether?  Are any of these formats good in 3rd party processors?

2.  What is the plan for Hasselblad in regards to sensors?  Are you following phase and going to dalsa, are you continuing with Kodak, is there that much of a difference?

3.  What computers can run a new Hasselblad camera tethered?  I hear about graphic cards updates, but I'm curious because I carry a lot of computers from the latest one piece intel macbook pros, the the 2.16 version, previous generation 24" white imacs and 8 core intel towers.

I use the Imacs in studio, the intel books on a tripod in studio and on location, the tower to process after a shoot, so what are the requirements to run clean, fast and stable with Phocus?  Does moving to Hasselblad require brand new computers?

4.  What is the raw file size of a Hasselblad file?  This may seem trivial but for a lot of us file size is becoming overburdening.  Every project at the end of every day we have the raw files on three drives.  Once completed, sorted and renamed, we make a master set of files, then test and copy those files
to two backup drives (one going to two of our studios, one going straight to the retoucher).  A small job can grow to a terabyte with backups so the smaller in the better.

I know I asked this in a previous question, but if Hasselblad has different file formats how do you view, edit rename and archive the files?   If (and once again I'm not clear on what the hasselblad file format is) but do you have to store the hasselblad files in two different formats for safety and compatibility going forward?  

With the Phase, Canons and Nikons I do my early sort and renaming in I-view (now Expression media) because it's fast and it allows a manual drag and drop of files.  In other words if I shoot two cameras of the same scene I can just drag my selects next to each other rename and they are ready to archive?

Can I do this with Phocus, can the Hasselblad raws work in Expression media, photo mechanic, lightroom?  

5.  Raw file size again.  Is there a way to compress the raw files without loss of quality?  This may seem like a trivial question but we shoot thousands of images per job, make sometimes a dozen web galleries per project, the retouching of dozens to hundreds of images in layered form get huge and even though drive space is somewhat gone down in price, file sizes have outpaced the drive costs, so anything that makes the file format smaller is greatly welcomed.

6.  Learning curve.  This is a big one.  I like many others have zero free time, my crew less.  I know these systems take time to learn, but is Phocus intuitive like Lightroom, is it easy and robust to tether like eos utility?  If I give a copy of Phocus to my retoucher can she get up to speed on processing in minutes hours, days?  Can I make my color settings in the Hasselblad raw file and it carry on to her machine without reseting everything, like a side car file or a sessions folder and most importantly since 95% of all retouchers want a raw file, even if I ship a processed Tiff, and since 95% of retouchers process in CS3 or 4, does the Hasselblad file work in those programs?

7.  Backups.  OK, I'm probably too careful, but I don't think I've ever gone out on set without two of almost everything.  I have two digital backs, 4 canons two nikons and multiple lenses.  I know I can rent H lenses almost anywhere, but lets say I moved to a H3dII or H4d, can I rent one in most studios, most major markets in case mine goes down.

8.  Tech service.  For small things such as software, I know most good dealers can give me the information, but really tricky stuff, or if equipment goes down, is there a direct to factory line that I can call for troubleshooting and fast repair?  Canon has CPS that turns stuff around in a day or two and Leaf of America use to have in Rick A. great turnaround time, (though the camera went in too often), but at least there was a person that actually returned calls, had direct factory access and didn't have to set up a repair case that they forwarded to the factory and then had to wait for the reply then give me the reply.
In other words in I owned an H4d can I call someone and get an answer that moment and if it's hardware related can I get a quick turnaround of repairs, even if I'm willing to pay extra?

9.  In camera jpegs.  This sounds like a small thing, but I've found in camera jpegs to be invaluable for our workflow.  We shoot a lot of images, have fast turnaround times and a properly shot in camera jpeg can be thrown into lightroom for quick adjustments and web galleries saving hours, sometimes days and when you are producing images for fpo at about 1200 pixels across working a jpeg is a lot faster than waiting for previews to build in the raw files and software.  Is there a plan for Hasselblad to produce jpegs out of camera?

10.  this is the big one.  Why would I put down my Phase backs, Canons and go with Hasselblad?  What are the clear advantages?  In the last few years all of our productions have become larger with higher expectations.  The last project we shot was perfect for medium format because it was in studio, we used as much quantity of light we desired, but the catch was this was a project with so much production so many models that even 1 hour of overtime is the costs of a new 1ds3.  In prelight, we set up the Phase backs on one computer station, we hooked up the 1ds3's to another station and started lighting.
With the Phase I had a glitch in v4 so we moved to v 3 and it ran ok, but was obviously slower than the Canons.  With the Canons I plugged in the usb cord and started shooting and side by side on identical 24" monitors nobody in the room could see that much of a difference in the files and formats and one of the 4 AD's in the room preferred the 1ds3 previews because they were smoother and in his words more film like that the previews in Phase Version 3.  (he was right).

OK, I know in post production there's sometimes is a difference and given my way I'd probably shoot with medium format but given the fact I had about twenty seconds to make the decision I went with the 1ds3's.

I'm not pushing Canon, I'm not pushing any brand, but do this............ put yourself in the photographer's shoes for a moment.  I can go with a system that is slower, takes a dedicated tech to stand by and tether, requires later jpeg processing from slow to build previews for editing in proprietary software or I can take any I phone savvy assistant and in 30 minutes get him/her up to speed using eos utility.

For this last project we shot over 10,000 frames all tethered to eos utility and had one crash because the cf card was pulled during a buffer.  1 crash!  

Can I get this sort of reliability from your system?

11.  Film looks.  I want this stuff to look like film.  I want beautiful skin tones, pull down menus and plug ins like alien skin where I can pick nc100, fuji ultra, or polaroid.  I know we're going to work an image in post later on, but I do want my client to see the closest look at time of capture as possible.

Will your software do this, are there third party plug ins?  

12.   The used car lot.  OK, let's be realistic these cameras costs the price of cars and like cars they depreciate quickly.  I'm not an e-bay guy, don't see the point of hustling equipment to make an extra $500.  When the time comes for me to make a change I want to sell my older cameras quickly, safely, legally and cleanly.  With the Canons I just box them up and hand them to my dealer who sells them on consignment at a good price.  They usually sell in about two weeks.  I keep doing my job which is shooting the dealer does there's which is selling cameras and life goes on.

Why not a clearing house or consignment store for medium format.  If I decided today to forego my two Phase backs and the Contax' and go with your system, what is the plan, how do I do this without taking a huge bath?

Why not sell these things like cars, where you have the used camera lot, maybe with a camerafax report on use, repairs, shot count.  Why not make it easy for me or others to switch systems without becoming a e-bay power ranger or seller or whatever they are called?

Just a thought.

13.   How we work.  OK I know you guys know a lot of photographers and everybody shoots and works differently, but how about coming on set for pre production and a casting session of 800 models.   How bout coming to  the digital techs hotel room to correct, process, sort and rename 2,000 files a day, starting at 8pm?

Then follow the job along with me as we go from client review of images, comp mark ups, retouching notes, retouching galleries all the way to final delivery.  You just can't get a grasp on what we do until you pull those twenty hour days with many 6 figures on the line.

Maybe you've done this and if so I stand corrected.

14.   Transparency.  Nothing sends a customer more loopy than to have a dealer or tech rep say, "uh centerfold, we've seen no centerfold" only to see a firmware release three weeks later saying "the centerfold is now fixed".  I've gone this route with the manufacturers tech disavowing centerfold, over heating, overshooting, green previews half black frames,  only to get a different response and a fix a year later.  Is hasselblad up front about issues, do you get in front of the story or react months later with a partial fix, or even worse never fix that camera, just fix it on the next upgrade?  In my view medium format has lost a lot of credibility by not being transparent and getting in front of the issues.

In summary I hope you take this with the best on intentions.  I'm not dissing blad or medium format in general I'm just genuinely asking how your system works and plans for the future.

If you ask me what camera I want it's probably something like a big 1ds3, or a digital Pentax 6x7.  I want a switch on the back to go from 4:3 to 2:3 to square format and the image crops are reflected in the software.  I want real film like looks that are on a pull down menu, I want software that is dead ass simple, dead ass stable, intuitive  and I want to be sure I can afford or have backups of everything.

I want to upgrade without haggling over price, I want to know the company will be around when needed, from support to repairs and I don't want to see silly add on warranties unless they are completely useful.  I want the numbers up front, including upgrades and I want that GM 60 day return warranty.

In other words I don't want to walk out of the dealer with buyer's remorse.

I don't want to feel like I just bought a $50,000 Ford by the time I get air conditioning and floor mats  I want the service and support of a $50,000 Lexus.

Is Hasselblad a Lexus?

Thx.

BC

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
What about Hasselblad
« Reply #65 on: November 04, 2009, 04:17:18 pm »

My point being is that as 'big' as Luminous Landscape is to the English Speaking world, it is insignificant elsewhere.

Anybody thinking different needs a serious reality check... and you didn't even mention China.

Cheers,
Bernard

TMARK

What about Hasselblad
« Reply #66 on: November 04, 2009, 06:27:26 pm »

The tone of this is just shitty.  

To put things into perspective...

We are guilty of thinking that USA/Europe is the world in it's entirety... or some members think that maybe even that New York is the world in it's entirety.

I am currently spending an interesting week in South Korea with our distributor...

www.hasselkorea.co.kr

Nice website which they produced themselves, based on the 'look' of ours, but they had no outside help.

They have translated every page.  For example...

http://www.hasselkorea.co.kr/sub/02_HK_Pro...05H50_Main.html

We then spoke about forums.  This forum (LL) has 33,000+ subscribers worldwide.  One of the photographic forums I was shown had upwards of one million subscribers in Korea alone.

And you think only Luminous Landscape can do reviews?

http://www.slrclub.com/bbs/vx2.php?id=slr_...=asc&no=148

South Korea is the forth largest economy in Asia, is stuffed full of high tech, has the highest broadband access per capita, the world's largest ship builder and a car industry that hasn't gone down the toilet.  They also make a mean BBQ dinner.

...and thanks to Wikipedia, here is one more... The world's largest flat screen display manufacturer.

;-)

My point being is that as 'big' as Luminous Landscape is to the English Speaking world, it is insignificant elsewhere.

Best Regards,

David

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
What about Hasselblad
« Reply #67 on: November 04, 2009, 06:30:51 pm »

Quote from: TMARK
The tone of this is just shitty.

No wish to offend TMARK.  I think we are all guilty (me as well) of not thinking outside our own world.

We all have our ideas on what markets are big and powerful and I had underestimated some of the so called 'smaller' countries.

So once again, apologies if my tone did not come across well.  Places like LL are still enormously valuable but not unique in global terms.

David.

David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

• Capture One
What about Hasselblad
« Reply #68 on: November 04, 2009, 06:32:21 pm »

Quote from: bcooter

David,

BIG SNIP

No problem.  Apologies for not replying ASAP but duty calls.  Ill work through it tonight and tomorrow.  All fair questions.
David Grover

gdwhalen

• http://www.gdwhalen.com
What about Hasselblad
« Reply #69 on: November 04, 2009, 06:40:50 pm »

David,

I have to admit I'm a little confused about medium format.  Leaf has about 4 names for the same back, Phase seems to be going to the Dalsa route, leaving Kodak behind but now that they have Leaf and Mamiya it takes a play book to know what a dl22 is over a Mamiya ZD2, vs a Leaf 5  and Hasselblad seems to have come leaps and bounds since the Imacon days, but there are things I don't really understand about the Hasselblad system.

If I could get all three of the medium format players into an interview room I'd asked a series of questions, but since you are in the room, here goes.   Don't worry, I'm not going to mention lcd's and higher iso because I think at this stage we all know that medium format is what it is so the questions I'm asking are exactly what I would need to know if I decided to change camera systems.

1.  What is the Hasselblad file format?   Are there two, or three and if so why?  I hear fff and 3fr thrown around, even dng, but if you shoot to a cf card what is the format and is it the same format as if you tether?  Are any of these formats good in 3rd party processors?

2.  What is the plan for Hasselblad in regards to sensors?  Are you following phase and going to dalsa, are you continuing with Kodak, is there that much of a difference?

3.  What computers can run a new Hasselblad camera tethered?  I hear about graphic cards updates, but I'm curious because I carry a lot of computers from the latest one piece intel macbook pros, the the 2.16 version, previous generation 24" white imacs and 8 core intel towers.

I use the Imacs in studio, the intel books on a tripod in studio and on location, the tower to process after a shoot, so what are the requirements to run clean, fast and stable with Phocus?  Does moving to Hasselblad require brand new computers?

4.  What is the raw file size of a Hasselblad file?  This may seem trivial but for a lot of us file size is becoming overburdening.  Every project at the end of every day we have the raw files on three drives.  Once completed, sorted and renamed, we make a master set of files, then test and copy those files
to two backup drives (one going to two of our studios, one going straight to the retoucher).  A small job can grow to a terabyte with backups so the smaller in the better.

I know I asked this in a previous question, but if Hasselblad has different file formats how do you view, edit rename and archive the files?   If (and once again I'm not clear on what the hasselblad file format is) but do you have to store the hasselblad files in two different formats for safety and compatibility going forward?  

With the Phase, Canons and Nikons I do my early sort and renaming in I-view (now Expression media) because it's fast and it allows a manual drag and drop of files.  In other words if I shoot two cameras of the same scene I can just drag my selects next to each other rename and they are ready to archive?

Can I do this with Phocus, can the Hasselblad raws work in Expression media, photo mechanic, lightroom?  

5.  Raw file size again.  Is there a way to compress the raw files without loss of quality?  This may seem like a trivial question but we shoot thousands of images per job, make sometimes a dozen web galleries per project, the retouching of dozens to hundreds of images in layered form get huge and even though drive space is somewhat gone down in price, file sizes have outpaced the drive costs, so anything that makes the file format smaller is greatly welcomed.

6.  Learning curve.  This is a big one.  I like many others have zero free time, my crew less.  I know these systems take time to learn, but is Phocus intuitive like Lightroom, is it easy and robust to tether like eos utility?  If I give a copy of Phocus to my retoucher can she get up to speed on processing in minutes hours, days?  Can I make my color settings in the Hasselblad raw file and it carry on to her machine without reseting everything, like a side car file or a sessions folder and most importantly since 95% of all retouchers want a raw file, even if I ship a processed Tiff, and since 95% of retouchers process in CS3 or 4, does the Hasselblad file work in those programs?

7.  Backups.  OK, I'm probably too careful, but I don't think I've ever gone out on set without two of almost everything.  I have two digital backs, 4 canons two nikons and multiple lenses.  I know I can rent H lenses almost anywhere, but lets say I moved to a H3dII or H4d, can I rent one in most studios, most major markets in case mine goes down.

8.  Tech service.  For small things such as software, I know most good dealers can give me the information, but really tricky stuff, or if equipment goes down, is there a direct to factory line that I can call for troubleshooting and fast repair?  Canon has CPS that turns stuff around in a day or two and Leaf of America use to have in Rick A. great turnaround time, (though the camera went in too often), but at least there was a person that actually returned calls, had direct factory access and didn't have to set up a repair case that they forwarded to the factory and then had to wait for the reply then give me the reply.
In other words in I owned an H4d can I call someone and get an answer that moment and if it's hardware related can I get a quick turnaround of repairs, even if I'm willing to pay extra?

9.  In camera jpegs.  This sounds like a small thing, but I've found in camera jpegs to be invaluable for our workflow.  We shoot a lot of images, have fast turnaround times and a properly shot in camera jpeg can be thrown into lightroom for quick adjustments and web galleries saving hours, sometimes days and when you are producing images for fpo at about 1200 pixels across working a jpeg is a lot faster than waiting for previews to build in the raw files and software.  Is there a plan for Hasselblad to produce jpegs out of camera?

10.  this is the big one.  Why would I put down my Phase backs, Canons and go with Hasselblad?  What are the clear advantages?  In the last few years all of our productions have become larger with higher expectations.  The last project we shot was perfect for medium format because it was in studio, we used as much quantity of light we desired, but the catch was this was a project with so much production so many models that even 1 hour of overtime is the costs of a new 1ds3.  In prelight, we set up the Phase backs on one computer station, we hooked up the 1ds3's to another station and started lighting.
With the Phase I had a glitch in v4 so we moved to v 3 and it ran ok, but was obviously slower than the Canons.  With the Canons I plugged in the usb cord and started shooting and side by side on identical 24" monitors nobody in the room could see that much of a difference in the files and formats and one of the 4 AD's in the room preferred the 1ds3 previews because they were smoother and in his words more film like that the previews in Phase Version 3.  (he was right).

OK, I know in post production there's sometimes is a difference and given my way I'd probably shoot with medium format but given the fact I had about twenty seconds to make the decision I went with the 1ds3's.

I'm not pushing Canon, I'm not pushing any brand, but do this............ put yourself in the photographer's shoes for a moment.  I can go with a system that is slower, takes a dedicated tech to stand by and tether, requires later jpeg processing from slow to build previews for editing in proprietary software or I can take any I phone savvy assistant and in 30 minutes get him/her up to speed using eos utility.

For this last project we shot over 10,000 frames all tethered to eos utility and had one crash because the cf card was pulled during a buffer.  1 crash!  

11.  Film looks.  I want this stuff to look like film.  I want beautiful skin tones, pull down menus and plug ins like alien skin where I can pick nc100, fuji ultra, or polaroid.  I know we're going to work an image in post later on, but I do want my client to see the closest look at time of capture as possible.

12.   The used car lot.  OK, let's be realistic these cameras costs the price of cars and like cars they depreciate quickly.  I'm not an e-bay guy, don't see the point of hustling equipment to make an extra $500.  When the time comes for me to make a change I want to sell my older cameras quickly, safely, legally and cleanly.  With the Canons I just box them up and hand them to my dealer who sells them on consignment at a good price.  They usually sell in about two weeks.  I keep doing my job which is shooting the dealer does there's which is selling cameras and life goes on.

Why not a clearing house or consignment store for medium format.  If I decided today to forego my two Phase backs and the Contax' and go with your system, what is the plan, how do I do this without taking a huge bath?

Why not sell these things like cars, where you have the used camera lot, maybe with a camerafax report on use, repairs, shot count.  Why not make it easy for me or others to switch systems without becoming a e-bay power ranger or seller or whatever they are called?

Just a thought.

13.   How we work.  OK I know you guys know a lot of photographers and everybody shoots and works differently, but how about coming on set for pre production and a casting session of 800 models.   How bout coming to  the digital techs hotel room to correct, process, sort and rename 2,000 files a day, starting at 8pm?

Then follow the job along with me as we go from client review of images, comp mark ups, retouching notes, retouching galleries all the way to final delivery.  You just can't get a grasp on what we do until you pull those twenty hour days with many 6 figures on the line.

14.   Transparency.  Nothing sends a customer more loopy than to have a dealer or tech rep say, "uh centerfold, we've seen no centerfold" only to see a firmware release three weeks later saying "the centerfold is now fixed".  I've gone this route with the manufacturers tech disavowing centerfold, over heating, overshooting, green previews half black frames,  only to get a different response and a fix a year later.  Is hasselblad up front about issues, do you get in front of the story or react months later with a partial fix, or even worse never fix that camera, just fix it on the next upgrade?  In my view medium format has lost a lot of credibility by not being transparent and getting in front of the issues.

In summary I hope you take this with the best on intentions.  I'm not dissing blad or medium format in general I'm just genuinely asking how your system works and plans for the future.

If you ask me what camera I want it's probably something like a big 1ds3, or a digital Pentax 6x7.  I want a switch on the back to go from 4:3 to 2:3 to square format and the image crops are reflected in the software.  I want real film like looks that are on a pull down menu, I want software that is dead ass simple, dead ass stable, intuitive  and I want to be sure I can afford or have backups of everything.

I want to upgrade without haggling over price, I want to know the company will be around when needed, from support to repairs and I don't want to see silly add on warranties unless they are completely useful.  I want the numbers up front, including upgrades and I want that GM 60 day return warranty.

I don't want to feel like I just bought a $50,000 Ford by the time I get air conditioning and floor mats  I want the service and support of a $50,000 Lexus.

Is Hasselblad a Lexus?

Thx.

BC

This was a great post and what I expected when I first came into this forum.   I will await the answers as I find the questions real and valuable.

BlasR

• http://BMRWorldPhotos.com
What about Hasselblad
« Reply #70 on: November 04, 2009, 07:04:52 pm »

without becoming a e-bay power ranger or seller or whatever they are called?

BlasR
  [url=http://www.BMRWORLDPHOTOS.CO

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
What about Hasselblad
« Reply #71 on: November 04, 2009, 08:19:32 pm »

I need to catch my breath!
Not for being long. I didn't read it out loud.
It's the content
A lot of food for thought. Thanks BC
Eduardo

David,

Just a thought.

Is Hasselblad a Lexus?

Thx.

BC

Yanick Dery

• http://www.yanickdery.com
What about Hasselblad
« Reply #72 on: November 04, 2009, 09:27:30 pm »

David,

Is Hasselblad a Lexus?

Thx.

BC

That is by far the best questions I have seen on this forum and I hope we will have ALL the answer soon. I like the 60 days return warranty...

Can you imagine if we could return the product if the product doesn't perform as advertised !!!

• Capture One
What about Hasselblad
« Reply #73 on: November 05, 2009, 03:23:25 am »

Quote from: Hywel
David, if you've captured to "small embedded preview" from the 3fr file and only have the fff file left, can you "reprocess" it to embed a large preview? I have 10,000+ images captured on my MacBook with the small preview setting which I'd really like to be able to sort in Phocus on my MacPro- to do that, I really need to see if the image is sharp. It isn't a deal-breaker to zoom up to 25%, but would be nice to batch process overnight to fix it instead.

Capturing with large embedded preview is fine for new stuff, can you reprocess 3fr's to get large previews?

Cheers, Hywel.

To come back to your question...

In theory it is possible, but it would also involve rewriting every byte of the RAW data, so that we are a bit nervous about.  We could ask customers to make a backup first but in your situation, backing up 10,000+ images is a big ask.

Anyway, it is on the table and we shall see what we come up with.

David
David Grover

Hywel

• http://www.restrainedelegance.com
What about Hasselblad
« Reply #74 on: November 05, 2009, 04:27:42 am »

To come back to your question...

In theory it is possible, but it would also involve rewriting every byte of the RAW data, so that we are a bit nervous about.  We could ask customers to make a backup first but in your situation, backing up 10,000+ images is a big ask.

Anyway, it is on the table and we shall see what we come up with.

David

Ummm, it isn't such a big ask- they are all backed up multiple times on several hard drives and offsite already  Those first 10,000 images cost more than the camera in location/model/crew fees, so a robust backup strategy is already in place  

I find that the critical thing in handling relatively large data volumes is what has to be done manually- backing up 6 TB of data isn't a chore, if it is all happening automatically. I can go work on something else on another computer and it can all finish while I'm asleep.

The killer is things that slow one down when interacting with the data- in this case, not being able to see a sharp preview instantly when going through the images to rate them. Anything which saves one two mouse clicks or a five second wait really makes a difference when dealing with large numbers of images to be processed.

It isn't a deal-breaker- it was only a couple of weeks location shoots, and I'm probably a third of the way through processing them anyway. I'll capture all future stuff with large embedded previews and learn my lesson.  

Cheers, Hywel.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 04:34:17 am by Hywel »

• Capture One
What about Hasselblad
« Reply #75 on: November 05, 2009, 04:31:24 am »

David,

No problem, I don't think you have been out of line in any of your uber-long post!  I can't speak for Leaf and Phase and would not be professional to do so, so we shall leave that one there.

If there are things you don't understand then we will solve them as I continue.

The H4D60 has a double resolution LCD screen so you can mention that.  But yes, as for ISO, while this has improved you are not going to see D3X busting 24,600 levels anytime soon.  Unless CMOS moves on enough for MF use.  However, the H3D31 and I guess that Phase equivalent is miles ahead of the older 22MP sensors.

DNG began with the first ever H2D a long time ago but we quickly stopped using DNG as it slowed the camera down too much when going beyond 22MP.  The DNG format as such requires certain parameters to 'close it' and it simply is not economical IF you want a decent burst rate.

So in answer to your question...

Shoot a file to a CF card = 3FR file format
Shoot direct to Phocus = 3F format.

There is little difference in the two, except that when the 3FR file is imported (very similar process to Lightroom, Capture One, Aperture etc etc) a larger more useful (see below) JPEG is created and embedded in the 3F file.  As is all your IPTC Meta Data, camera data and file history.  In one file, no .xml side car files and cross compatible between Mac and PC and multiple computers.  Seems we were the first company to figure out how very useful this is to photographers.

We choose the sensors that fit our requirements.  If that is Kodak or Dalsa, so be it.  They both have different properties.

3.  What computers can run a new Hasselblad camera tethered?  I hear about graphic cards updates, but I'm curious because I carry a lot of computers from the latest one piece intel macbook pros, the the 2.16 version, previous generation 24" white imacs and 8 core intel towers.  I use the Imacs in studio, the intel books on a tripod in studio and on location, the tower to process after a shoot, so what are the requirements to run clean, fast and stable with Phocus?  Does moving to Hasselblad require brand new computers?

Must be Intel Based with Leopard on Mac.  Snow Leopard will give a slight increase in performance.  Why?  We use Apple based OpenGL/Core Image commands to access the processor on the graphics cards to give real time feedback on adjustments.  ie at 100% if you manipulate any of the controls the image does not have to pixelate/redraw each time.

Also we gain performance as we can use computer processor and graphics processor simultaneously.  This is the way Pshop is going and as Aperture always has done.

Spec-wise you benefit from a 512MB graphic card if you are using 50MP and up but a 216MB will suffice for lower.  RAM, I would recommend 4GB.  Any MAc produced within the last 12-24 months should be ok.  24" white iMacs I would steer clear of.  8 core Intel towers, yes please although Apple did fit really puny graphics cards in the 1st generation.  Graphics cards do not cost the earth to replace.  $200-$300 would give you nice performance.

New iMac, no problem.  27" model would be nice I reckon.

PC Can be XP or Vista, 32 or 64 Bit (64 recommended) and Windows 7 is looking promising.  Graphic card situation applies as well.  512MB minimum on PC.

31MP = 50MB Approx
39MP = 60MB Approx
50MP = 90MB Approx

Approx as the file is compressed.  Not image compression, but a lossless data compression.  You could add 5MB max to those above values.

....Continued on next pane - I have run out of quote block allocation!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 04:40:31 am by David Grover / Hasselblad »
David Grover

• Capture One
What about Hasselblad
« Reply #76 on: November 05, 2009, 04:33:03 am »

Really the 3FR has a small life, once you have imported off the CF card there is no need to keep it.  You can edit down files on a CF without having to transfer them if you want to do a quick select.  There is a simple color rating system which can do this and filter results.

Renaming can be done as a batch process, via an import with your own naming convention template, or by simply clicking on the image name title to rename one image.  Lots of options to suit different needs.

Forgive me, as I might not fully understand your question.  But if you have two folders on your computer of a continued shoot, you could compile them together as a Quick Collection (either drag and drop to a special folder or click the image and hit CMD- and then you could rename them from the QC folder, or copy them or move them elsewhere.

Boy, you must be the first person to ask me about Expression media!  I believe Microsoft did do extensive testing with 3F files but I couldn't be 100% sure of their compatibility.   I just googled it and am I right in thinking it is no longer available?  They do not mention the 'Media' package anymore???

The Raw files are compressed by default, hence the varying size.  You could .zip them additionally.

zero free time
[/i]

I checked your stats and your combined personalities have clocked up more than 1000 posts, averaging at least two per day.  If you can manage that, you can manage a few hours on developing your software skills.  Probably a better ROI of time, no?

Yes, I beleive it is intuituve.  But you knew I would say that right?

In justification part of my job is Phocus training.  The comment I normally receive it 'Oh it's just like Lightroom'.  So I hope that helps.  The layout is similar, so there is no suprises where stuff is.  

Tethering is definitely a strength and there is a great deal or remote camera control.  Not so much use to you, but at least the tech can see what settings you have on the camera at all times, incase you accidentally changed ISO to the wrong value, for example.

Yes, any setting you make on your machine is embedded in the file, so if you send it to your retoucher, they will see what you see.  This is automatic, you do not need to make a command, or package any files with the 3F file.  It is also a non-destructive process of course, so if you throw a tantrum and decide to start again, there is no love lost.

The 3FR file is compatible with Lightroom, V2 onward and the version of ACR that arrived with CS4.  3F support is coming soon.  This was Adobe's decision not ours, but we have requested they add 3F support too.  The rational being is that they believed that users wanting the 'Lightroom/ACR' route would bypass Phocus altogether, therefore only having 3FR files.

You can also synchronise your machines with the same workspace in Phocus, same naming conventions, same layouts... etc etc.  It can all be identical machine to machine.  Phocus 2.0 adds this functionality.

...Continued on the next pane...
David Grover

• Capture One
What about Hasselblad
« Reply #77 on: November 05, 2009, 04:34:31 am »

Depends what you consider major markets, but there are multiple outlets in Paris / London / Tokyo for example.  I can't speak for the USA as I spend little time there.  Maybe one of my colleagues will throw me a lifeline here.

Mostly you can deal with your dealer or in your case speak to New Jersey.  Again maybe one of my colleagues will help!

There is the H camera care plan...  This answers pretty much all your questions...

http://www.hasselblad.com/service--support...-care-plan.aspx

No you cannot make in-camera JPEGS.  To do this would most likely require ASIC processors.  If you want me to be boring I discuss the advantages and disadvantages of FPGA over ASIC but most likely not.

As an alternative you can generate JPEG files about 1200 pixels across near instantaneously from the 3F file.  They require no processing as they were already created on Import.  They are cropped and color balanced to your settings on the RAW file so accurately represent the final image, albeit before post.

I wouldn't expect you to if you didn't feel there is something 'missing' from your current equipment.  However, your leading questions lead me to think there might be.  If you can't see a difference between the files, then the conversation stops here doesn't it?  A quick clear advantage list...

1. Robust tethering
2. Integrated solution, so no finger pointing to the other guy if things go wrong... but they NEVER do!!!
3. Single battery, so no two charger, two battery, two battery level syndrome.
4. Things you have already pointed out, like..

- Complete lens line up
- Internal AF drives, not body driven AF (less accurate, weak motor in the body, not Canon style USM motors)
- Leaf shutters, Flash sync any speed
- Lens corrections
- HTS tilt shift (not for you though maybe)

Shall I add "3D look" as well?

Maybe this is best answered by other users with more credibility than me?  I don't mean to discredit myself, but I would like the customers to speak on this one as they are on the front line, I am not.

11.  Film looks.  I want this stuff to look like film.  I want beautiful skin tones, pull down menus and plug ins like alien skin where I can pick nc100, fuji ultra, or polaroid.  I know we're going to work an image in post later on, but I do want my client to see the closest look at time of capture as possible.  Will your software do this, are there third party plug ins?

Use film?  ;-)

You can easily create different looks in the software and save them as presets.  These can be applied in one click to a single image or to a batch of images.  Remembering once again this is non-destructive.

This could also be applied on import from CF card.  So if you have defined a look early on in the day/shoot, this can be saved as a preset and applied subsequently to any other import from a CF Card.  Obviously you can apply any look to an image as it is captured tethered.

Just a thought.

There is an upgrade program for existing H users and non users, with very little, if none at all difference in pricing between the two.  Many of our dealers take in the old stock as well to sell on consignment.

I have actually done this once or twice for my own 'Professional Development'.  Probably why I have no desire to be a photographer!  Joking aside this was also an exercise set by the MD of Hasselblad UK for the sales employees.  Booked a studio, models, casting session, grumpy stylist, the works.  Was a very valuable exercise.  If I ever come to NYC again, I offer my services to you... Ill give you a discount on my tech rate.

...continued on next pane...
David Grover

• Capture One
What about Hasselblad
« Reply #78 on: November 05, 2009, 04:35:20 am »

Well for what it is worth we never really had the centrefold issue.  There, got that one in.  Not sure how to answer this one really, Ill admit that the H2D was a bit of a lemon on first release.  Luckily it was mostly firmware related and existing H2D's function very nicely now - one of the benefits of having firmware that can be uploaded by you locally - no need for service centres.  We have certainly admitted our errors in the past, maybe not all?  Again, I am sure customers will step in here if I am out of line.

No problem.

I think we can do all of that.... maybe not the GM warranty part though, but I hope the Camera Care Plan was interesting.  But don't take my word for it, try one out.

Is Hasselblad a Lexus?

I have opted out of the 'Car Analogy Program' but ill go with Range Rover just this once.

Best,

David
David Grover

• Capture One
What about Hasselblad
« Reply #79 on: November 05, 2009, 04:38:00 am »

That concludes my post.  Sorry for the multiple panes, but I had a limit of quote boxes apparently.

I am off for a lie down!

David

David Grover
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up