Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: What about Hasselblad  (Read 51133 times)

gwhitf

What about Hasselblad
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2009, 08:54:00 am »

Quote from: jecxz
A perfect example of momma-drama!
I knew it would not take long...

The Million Dollar Question, also known as Poulsen's Dilemma, is: Does it make them invest further in Hasselblad, or does it make them bolt to Nikon/Canon?

Hywel

• http://www.restrainedelegance.com
What about Hasselblad
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2009, 09:57:52 am »

? I don't even understand the question. Are you asking Toyota why you can't buy one of their cars from your local Honda dealer? Locked out yet again!

Hywel.

TMARK

What about Hasselblad
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2009, 10:21:33 am »

Quote from: gdwhalen
How many years ago was the H1?  jeez, get past it.

Everyone you know?  There are over 18,000,000 people in New York City.  I think every day starts with today and holding grudges for something that happened years ago when ALL companies were feeling there way through digital is not really a productive approach, do you think?   I, for one, am very happy with my Hasselblad, camera, back, lenses and Phocus.  I came in with no pre-disposition to anything whether it was Phase, mamiya, hasselblad, etc.  but the rants against Hasselblad in here are so emotional I just let them go and used my brain.  I am very happy I did.

Down boy!  Its not a rant against Hasselblad.  I'm sorry I offended your camera.  Give it my apologioes.  I was simply explaining why many people I know, from my world, don't rock the Blad.  Ghost of the H1, then entrenchment into a system that was rock solid, Phase and C1 3.x or Leaf and V8.

I don't know everyone in New York.  I really know probably less than 900 people.  Probably 50 of those people I know in New York are professional photographers who use/used backs.  Another 6 or so work for or own rental companies.  That's the basis for my sample.  

I'm not in the market for a back, I have no opinion on the H3 or H4.  I never had a grudge against Blad. The H1 being problematic didn't offend me.  It was just a fact.  I like the idea of the integration of the H3/4, at the same time I don't care.  My Aptus on an RZ works well for me, is predictable.  I'm glad you like your camera.  I'm glad you have some Self Help, AA 12 step philosophy to get you up in the morning.  Thats a good thing.  

If I were starting fresh from Canon, I would go Blad.  Its simple and integrated, like a DSLR.  But I'm coming to this with a work flow, and a market, where flexability and speed wins the day, and the day is worth more than I made from 1989 to 1999 put together.  Most of the time its the Canon or, scoff, film.

Dick Roadnight

What about Hasselblad
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2009, 11:32:55 am »

Quote from: David Grover / Hasselblad
...don't take it from me, try an H3D50 tethered.
I tried my H3D11-50 tethered, and live view does not work (and they are supposed to notify me when they release updates).

Are you still on track to release the firmware update to make live view work on the H3D11-50 this month?
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

gdwhalen

• http://www.gdwhalen.com
What about Hasselblad
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2009, 11:51:16 am »

Man, I hope my kids never come in here and read this stuff.  I wouldn't be able to use my "act like an adult" lesson on them anymore.

dbernaerdt

What about Hasselblad
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2009, 01:52:12 pm »

FWIW, I work for a retailer where we shoot product M to F, year-round. I shot with a P25 on a H1 body from June '05 to Jan '09. There was the occasional (once a week?) error on the H1 asking to reconnect the digital back. Hit the release, tilted the P25 back, then re-attached. Problem gone. Other than that, the platform was solid. It also got toted along the West Coast in a backpack, used from boats and helicopters to do shots for a resort.

In Jan '09 we took delivery of a H3D-II 50. Wasn't my choice, but approached it with an open mind. Phocus took a bit of getting used to, but isn't really that difficult if you've been using C1 or something similar. Yes, I'm a bit peeved that we're still waiting for live view. My opinion (a total guess) is that Hasselblad has been busy getting the HTS adapter, the 60MP back and H4 body to market to take the time to get live view working on the 50. It's not an excuse - don't sell it if you can't deliver - however the feature was not integral to the type of work I do.

My other issues have been the rather poor preview in Phocus if you're viewing at 15 to 24%. A quick zoom to 25% renders the raw file (instead of using the embedded JPEG for preview) and all is well. The only time I can crash Phocus is when moving images from one folder to another in Phocus versus the Finder. Even then, that is sporatic. I've been running Phocus on an dual quad core Mac with 8GB of RAM. The other software running at the time is Photoshop CS4, a web browser and remote desktop connected to a Windows server. On a 2008 generation unibody MacBook Pro, Phocus has been mostly stable, though slow to process to RGB. I wouldn't want to process a large number of 50MP files on it.

After 10 months with the H3D-II 50, we'll be upgrading to the 60 early next year. Hopefully live view will work. ;-)

The advice to try both systems is very valid. Find a dealer that is willing to let you use the camera/back for the type of work you do. Save the files and spend another week or two in the respective software. See what works for you. I think the major DB makers all hype their products a little too much and this board seems to have a decidedly anti-Hasselblad bias. Not sure why, other than it's no different than Ford versus Chevy, Mac versus Windows, etc. In reality, the service you get from your dealer will probably be as an important a factor as the manufacturer you go with.

Darren Bernaerdt

bcooter

What about Hasselblad
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2009, 02:24:39 pm »

Doug has been Phase-washed, so you would have to go to another dealer.  ;-)

I'm not sure if that is necessarily true.

Given time it seems most dealers, reps will have changed the logos on their polo shirts more than Nascar drivers, so if you really want to work with that one special dealer/rep/tech/expert, give it a while cause everything changes.

I don't know a lot but I do know with "medium" format there are 10  close to certain projections.

1.  Every time  you watch a video of a photographer shooting medium format it's always with an H camera, though not usually with an H back.  The video will always include the photographer's assistants loading a Toyota Highlander.

2.  Every time somebody on a forum posts 10 questions to a dealer/rep/tech representative only 7 questions are fully answered.

3.  Every three years Leaf will have a new users forum.

4.  In the year 2015 Phase will still have the same lcd in the same case with the same 4 chrome buttons.  This will be called simplicity of design.

5.  In the year 2016 medium format will move to cmos buy buying all the used canon cameras in the world and stitching them together to make an almost full frame 645 format sensor.

6.  In the year 2017 RED will announce a new Super Full Frame 10meter x 90meter  Mysterium camera that is subject to change.

7.  In the year 2018 Atlanta will be the only place you can legally buy a medium format camera.

8.  In the year 2019 Leica will ship their second S-2 Lens, a Macro, for a discounted price of 18,549 dollars, or euros + import duties, + VAT + currency/market liquidity changes.

9.  In the year 2020 all professional photographs will be shot with a robotic medium format Iphone.  You just ship the Iphone to location, it sets up the lights, interacts with the subject, argues with the client and shoots the photograph.  There will be an A.L.  version and it will come with a 12 extra robots that assist with the styling and a law firm on retainer.  Two robots will quit in tears.

10.  In the year 2021 F+H, Sinar and Kodak will announce they are looking for an investor to resurrect the HY6, though nobody will answer the phone because they're on holiday.

IMO

BC

The above is meant as satirical humor.  Any resemblance to real people, corporations or individuals is pure coincidence.

In other words don't anybody get their knickers in a twist.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 06:58:03 pm by bcooter »

UlfKrentz

• http://www.shoots.de
What about Hasselblad
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2009, 05:01:18 pm »

BC, I love your posts.

Cheers

Ulf

Mr. Rib

What about Hasselblad
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2009, 05:27:57 pm »

hmm, did you edit the post on your own? the hilarious part went missing.
or maybe..big brother watches you

Arminw

• http://www.arminweisheit.com
What about Hasselblad
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2009, 05:44:55 pm »

I am using a H3dII 50, love Phocus and I am very happy with the  camera . No problems at all and I do mainly portraiture . I m sure phase is a nice system as well ... didn't like the colours when i tested it though .

You can't depend on your eyes when your

gdwhalen

What about Hasselblad
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2009, 08:11:21 pm »

Quote from: Arminw
I am using a H3dII 50, love Phocus and I am very happy with the  camera . No problems at all and I do mainly portraiture . I m sure phase is a nice system as well ... didn't like the colours when i tested it though .

You better run, someone is going to take a swing at you.  

gwhitf

What about Hasselblad
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2009, 08:14:10 pm »

Quote from: bcooter
10.  In the year 2021 F+H, Sinar and Kodak will announce they are looking for an investor to resurrect the HY6, though nobody will answer the phone because they're on holiday.

Don't forget #11: In the year 2012, the working default ASA of Canon and Nikon CMOS will be 4,864,822,486, and Hasselblad, Leaf and Phase will still be clinging to CCDs, and still clinging to hope that, one day, they'll get a clean working ASA of 800. At that point, Profoto heads will be the size of Bic Butane cigarette lighters, and will recyle at 24 frames per second, but only put out a little "dink" of light, because at ASA 4,864,822,486, that's all you really need, whereas, the MF CCD guy will ask his assistant to do him a manual "pop" to check the flash meter, and the photographer will say, "trip the profotos" and the assistant will say, "Uh, I just did; it just wasn't bright enough for you to see it".

Nick-T

What about Hasselblad
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2009, 08:50:36 pm »

Quote from: dbernaerdt
My other issues have been the rather poor preview in Phocus if you're viewing at 15 to 24%. A quick zoom to 25% renders the raw file (instead of using the embedded JPEG for preview) and all is well.

This has been resolved with current versions.

The only time I can crash Phocus is when moving images from one folder to another in Phocus versus the Finder.

I'm fairly sure this was a bug that has been fixed.

Phocus has been mostly stable, though slow to process to RGB. I wouldn't want to process a large number of 50MP files on it.

How slow is slow? What times are you getting with "standard" setup (turning on the moire filter for example will slow processing right down)

HTh
Nick-T
[url=http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.c

gdwhalen

What about Hasselblad
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2009, 09:02:49 pm »

Quote from: gwhitf
Don't forget #11: In the year 2012, the working default ASA of Canon and Nikon CMOS will be 4,864,822,486, and Hasselblad, Leaf and Phase will still be clinging to CCDs, and still clinging to hope that, one day, they'll get a clean working ASA of 800. At that point, Profoto heads will be the size of Bic Butane cigarette lighters, and will recyle at 24 frames per second, but only put out a little "dink" of light, because at ASA 4,864,822,486, that's all you really need, whereas, the MF CCD guy will ask his assistant to do him a manual "pop" to check the flash meter, and the photographer will say, "trip the profotos" and the assistant will say, "Uh, I just did; it just wasn't bright enough for you to see it".

Are you a bat?  They use radar.  I use light.  Light is photography.  The lack of light or the need to be able to shoot in the lack of light is odd to me.  Light is photography.  The lack of light is darkness.  Light shapes, darkness hides.  

I'm kidding here but I do not understand the fixation on high ISO's.  Are we astronomers or photographers?   Voyeurs or photographers?  Light is good.

hobbsr

What about Hasselblad
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2009, 09:58:20 pm »

Hi All,

I started to read this thread and then had to check what it was really all about, so back to the question. I am a very happy H3D 31 user my experience has only been very positive with the whole of Hasselblad. That includes getting great support from hasselblad and a great local support from the supplier CR Kennedy. Phocus as software goes is improving and I think with the announced version 2 we will see a very sound platform to work from. So I am looking forward to the new software and future developments. I also shoot up to 1600 iso on the 31 and am happy with the results for my application.

I also was in a video shooting on the H3D and no Toyota, so go check it out it is up off the main site now.

Regards

Rodney

BlasR

• http://BMRWorldPhotos.com
What about Hasselblad
« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2009, 06:19:59 am »

Quote from: gdwhalen
You better run, someone is going to take a swing at you.  
BlasR
  [url=http://www.BMRWORLDPHOTOS.CO

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
What about Hasselblad
« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2009, 08:26:59 am »

To put things into perspective...

We are guilty of thinking that USA/Europe is the world in it's entirety... or some members think that maybe even that New York is the world in it's entirety.

I am currently spending an interesting week in South Korea with our distributor...

www.hasselkorea.co.kr

Nice website which they produced themselves, based on the 'look' of ours, but they had no outside help.

They have translated every page.  For example...

http://www.hasselkorea.co.kr/sub/02_HK_Pro...05H50_Main.html

We then spoke about forums.  This forum (LL) has 33,000+ subscribers worldwide.  One of the photographic forums I was shown had upwards of one million subscribers in Korea alone.

And you think only Luminous Landscape can do reviews?

http://www.slrclub.com/bbs/vx2.php?id=slr_...=asc&no=148

South Korea is the forth largest economy in Asia, is stuffed full of high tech, has the highest broadband access per capita, the world's largest ship builder and a car industry that hasn't gone down the toilet.  They also make a mean BBQ dinner.

...and thanks to Wikipedia, here is one more... The world's largest flat screen display manufacturer.

;-)

My point being is that as 'big' as Luminous Landscape is to the English Speaking world, it is insignificant elsewhere.

Best Regards,

David

David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

• Capture One
What about Hasselblad
« Reply #57 on: November 04, 2009, 08:33:22 am »

Quote from: dbernaerdt
My other issues have been the rather poor preview in Phocus if you're viewing at 15 to 24%. A quick zoom to 25% renders the raw file (instead of using the embedded JPEG for preview) and all is well.

I am willing to bet you have your Embedded Preview Size set to Small in preferences?

Change it to large and you will see a marked improvement.

David

David Grover

Hywel

• http://www.restrainedelegance.com
What about Hasselblad
« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2009, 08:42:18 am »

I am willing to bet you have your Embedded Preview Size set to Small in preferences?

Change it to large and you will see a marked improvement.

David

David, if you've captured to "small embedded preview" from the 3fr file and only have the fff file left, can you "reprocess" it to embed a large preview? I have 10,000+ images captured on my MacBook with the small preview setting which I'd really like to be able to sort in Phocus on my MacPro- to do that, I really need to see if the image is sharp. It isn't a deal-breaker to zoom up to 25%, but would be nice to batch process overnight to fix it instead.

Capturing with large embedded preview is fine for new stuff, can you reprocess 3fr's to get large previews?

Cheers, Hywel.

• Capture One
What about Hasselblad
« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2009, 08:46:28 am »

Quote from: Hywel
David, if you've captured to "small embedded preview" from the 3fr file and only have the fff file left, can you "reprocess" it to embed a large preview? I have 10,000+ images captured on my MacBook with the small preview setting which I'd really like to be able to sort in Phocus on my MacPro- to do that, I really need to see if the image is sharp. It isn't a deal-breaker to zoom up to 25%, but would be nice to batch process overnight to fix it instead.

Capturing with large embedded preview is fine for new stuff, can you reprocess 3fr's to get large previews?

Cheers, Hywel.

That's a good question and I will enquire.

Yes, you can reprocess 3FR's to get larger previews.  This is when the preview is created.

David Grover
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up