Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: New Photoshop CS4 Capture Sharpening Panel  (Read 14317 times)

gmitchel

• http://www.thelightsrightstudio.com
New Photoshop CS4 Capture Sharpening Panel
« on: November 01, 2009, 08:51:41 pm »

I just finished a new Photoshop CS4 panel. This one is for capture sharpening. It comes with twenty presets. You an add your own. You can select from four different mask widths and five different classes of digital cameras/scanners.

The sharpener works with RGB, CMYK, L*a*b, and Grayscale.

In addition to the traditional luminosity mask, you can also generate enhanced masks for better detail.

The panel only works with Photoshop CS4. You can dock it, just like the Adjustments and Masks panels.

You have complete control over the USM settings, layer blend, layer opacity, and Blend If settings for the ultimate in control over the sharpening effect.

This is a free download for the digital photography community. I hope people find it helpful.

Comments and suggestions will be appreciated.

http://www.thelightsright.com/TLRProCaptureSharpeningPanel

Cheers,

Mitch

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 10:10:05 pm »

Nothing in life is "free", as one finds out by visiting your site, where there is a prominent link asking people who download your materials to contribute to the maintenance of the service. That part is legitimate, but calling your stuff "free" on this website is a bit of a stretch, because you've set things up such that we shouldn't simply ignore the moral urge you create to pay the amount you recommend for what we take. I think in web lingo this is called "donation-ware" or something of the sort - whatever it's more to the point than "free".
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

gmitchel

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 08:56:32 am »

Quote from: MarkDS
Nothing in life is "free", as one finds out by visiting your site, where there is a prominent link asking people who download your materials to contribute to the maintenance of the service. That part is legitimate, but calling your stuff "free" on this website is a bit of a stretch, because you've set things up such that we shouldn't simply ignore the moral urge you create to pay the amount you recommend for what we take. I think in web lingo this is called "donation-ware" or something of the sort - whatever it's more to the point than "free".

Don't feel under any moral urge whatsoever, Mark. Feel free to download anything you like. Can't afford my eBook/video on sharpening (the only thing for sale on my site), and I'll give free access to the electronic download. Geesh!

I don't litter my site with advertisements, stick ads in the middle of articles, or even make a plea for a donation in the .ZIP file that you download.

Even the Luminous Landscape has a donate link.

Here's my comments on the attitude you represent:

http://www.thelightsright.com/WhereDoesTheMoneyGo

The download is free! To anyone! There's no misrepresentation there at all.

When you buy a dedicated server and pay a couple of hundred dollars a month for Internet access, GoToMeeting, etc. then come talk to me about high and proud you are about not having a donation button.

I give freely to the digital photography community. Everything I can afford. Why do you feel compelled to diminish that?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 08:59:54 am by gmitchel »

TimG

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 09:41:18 am »

Glenn, great site and thank you for creating these handy panels for CS4.  Donation on its way.  Keep up the good work!

gmitchel

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 09:52:26 am »

Quote from: TimG
Glenn, great site and thank you for creating these handy panels for CS4.  Donation on its way.  Keep up the good work!

I hope you find the panels helpful! They have many hours of work.

Three more sharpening panels are on their way. They're creative sharpeners: portrait sharpener, landscape sharpener, and textured surface sharpener. That will finish the sharpening panel collection. Then I can get to work on better documentation and some videos to demonstrate them.

Enjoy!

Mitch

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 10:04:14 am »

Quote from: gmitchel
Don't feel under any moral urge whatsoever, Mark. Feel free to download anything you like. Can't afford my eBook/video on sharpening (the only thing for sale on my site), and I'll give free access to the electronic download. Geesh!

I don't litter my site with advertisements, stick ads in the middle of articles, or even make a plea for a donation in the .ZIP file that you download.

Even the Luminous Landscape has a donate link.

Here's my comments on the attitude you represent:

http://www.thelightsright.com/WhereDoesTheMoneyGo

The download is free! To anyone! There's no misrepresentation there at all.

When you buy a dedicated server and pay a couple of hundred dollars a month for Internet access, GoToMeeting, etc. then come talk to me about high and proud you are about not having a donation button.

I give freely to the digital photography community. Everything I can afford. Why do you feel compelled to diminish that?

Why did I expect that kind of reaction?

As I said, I have no problem with the approach on your website whatsoever. All you are doing there is fine. I have no attitude about donations other than that if I wanted your software I would consider it most appropriate to make a donation.

My only point was about full disclosure in advertising.

Mark

gmitchel

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 10:09:49 am »

. . . you've set things up such that we shouldn't simply ignore the moral urge you create to pay the amount you recommend for what we take.

BTW, Mark, you're embellishing the truth. I have no recommended amount for a donation. Nor do I make personal pleas for donations, no matter how much time I spend with people by e-mail, on the phone, etc. I don't even feel comfortable answering questions about how much someone should contribute.

My site has drawn viewers from 176 countries in the last year. Not everyone can afford to make a contribution. Many people visit multiple sites and contribute to one. Etc.

I make no moral judgments about people who visit my site and do not donate.

99.9% of the resources on my site are free. You're welcome to download each and every one of them. And, if you (or anyone else) cannot afford the eBook/video because you're a student, pensioner, or low income, just ask and I'll give you access to the electronic download.

Cheers,

Mitch

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 10:35:22 am »

BTW, Mark, you're embellishing the truth. I have no recommended amount for a donation. Nor do I make personal pleas for donations, no matter how much time I spend with people by e-mail, on the phone, etc. I don't even feel comfortable answering questions about how much someone should contribute.

My site has drawn viewers from 176 countries in the last year. Not everyone can afford to make a contribution. Many people visit multiple sites and contribute to one. Etc.

I make no moral judgments about people who visit my site and do not donate.

99.9% of the resources on my site are free. You're welcome to download each and every one of them. And, if you (or anyone else) cannot afford the eBook/video because you're a student, pensioner, or low income, just ask and I'll give you access to the electronic download.

Cheers,

Mitch

OK Mitch - not to prolong this - but where I got the idea there is a recommended amount for a donation was what I read about the suggested 50 doillars when I clicked the Become a Benefactor link. As I say, in my opinion that's fine - I have no issue with any of that on your site. And I understand your position as explained above. One can always argue that material is free, and suporting the effort which provides it is a separate matter. I just have a hard time disassociating the two because I think such effort should be remunerated somehow, and its essentially commercial character seen as such. Nothing wrong with that. But I acknoweldge that others may see it differently and that's fine too. Peace.

gmitchel

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 10:45:18 am »

Cool. We're fine, Mark. I'd rather not distract people away from this tool with a political philosophy discussion.

It's my hope that lots of people will find this shrpening panel helpful. 200+ downloads since I posted it late last night.

I love the CS4 .SWF panel support. The user interface here is much superior to my sharpening actions and scripts. Dock the panel and use it anytime. Great!

Cheers,

Mitch
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 10:46:19 am by gmitchel »

TimG

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2009, 10:57:02 am »

MarkDS,

How about this page on your website:

http://markdsegal.com/My_Homepage_Files/Page3.html

Under Other Articles and Contributions, the first article links to (*gasp!*) a product being offered for sale.  I was expecting a PDF like the other articles on your website, not a direct link to "buy/request the book".

Seems a bit misleading to me.  One has to wonder if you received any compensation for this (god forbid), and if so, why that isn't prominently displayed on your website, you know, in the interest of "full disclosure"?

It would seem it's only appropriate to link to a commercial endeavor when it is in YOUR best interests.  Hmm...

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2009, 11:36:38 am »

Quote from: TimG
MarkDS,

How about this page on your website:

http://markdsegal.com/My_Homepage_Files/Page3.html

Under Other Articles and Contributions, the first article links to (*gasp!*) a product being offered for sale.  I was expecting a PDF like the other articles on your website, not a direct link to "buy/request the book".

Seems a bit misleading to me.  One has to wonder if you received any compensation for this (god forbid), and if so, why that isn't prominently displayed on your website, you know, in the interest of "full disclosure"?

It would seem it's only appropriate to link to a commercial endeavor when it is in YOUR best interests.  Hmm...

The purpose of that list is to inform readers what I've done, and to provide the material which either I generated and is not published elsewhere, or I provided elsewhere and is in the public domain  without any legal encumbrance. The material in the book you refer to was written and copyrighted by Harald Johnson - I  contributed to the research on film scanning resolution for three or four pages of the book as he acknowledged. I have very seldomly referenced even the existence of my website on this or any other forum, nor do I get one cent from Harald or his publisher if anyone happens to click that link and decides to order the book. The link is there for information about what I've done, period. There is simply no issue or analogy here whatsoever. My website - which people tell me is to my detriment - wasn't structured to generate a red-cent. So now that you understand the context, perhaps you will also understand that you are "barking up the wrong tree". Were I to take it commercial in any way, of course true to word it would be very transparent and up-front. Hope that clarifies things for you.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2009, 11:51:05 am »

Ohhh, phleaaase!!!

sniper

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2009, 03:06:09 am »

I don't know why theres such a fuss over this.  Yes the site asks for donations as do many others (including this one) but the downloads are free, theres no restriction, and donation means just that, you donate if you wish and can afford.  Lets not forget theres a lot of time and effort gone into all the stuff available on the TLR's site.
I for one say thank you.

nma

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2009, 07:35:43 pm »

I just finished a new Photoshop CS4 panel. This one is for capture sharpening. It comes with twenty presets. You an add your own. You can select from four different mask widths and five different classes of digital cameras/scanners.

The sharpener works with RGB, CMYK, L*a*b, and Grayscale.

In addition to the traditional luminosity mask, you can also generate enhanced masks for better detail.

The panel only works with Photoshop CS4. You can dock it, just like the Adjustments and Masks panels.

You have complete control over the USM settings, layer blend, layer opacity, and Blend If settings for the ultimate in control over the sharpening effect.

This is a free download for the digital photography community. I hope people find it helpful.

Comments and suggestions will be appreciated.

http://www.thelightsright.com/TLRProCaptureSharpeningPanel

Cheers,

Mitch

Mitch,

I find this very helpful. I don't know if it is the greatest, I am still evaluating it for my own use. But I commend you for offering it to the community for FREE.

Thanks

Philmar

• Office drone by day - Photoenthusiast on weekends
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_marion/albums
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2009, 04:31:41 pm »

Funny, I was able to download a few of the actions and scripts for free. Bloody semantics. NOBODY is shamed or hounded to donate.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 04:41:51 pm by Philmar »

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2009, 11:37:10 pm »

The purpose of that list is to inform readers what I've done, and to provide the material which either I generated and is not published elsewhere, or I provided elsewhere and is in the public domain  without any legal encumbrance.

Folks, just to be PERFECTLY clear about this issue...

"MarkDS" is a regular and consistant (and useful) contributor to this forum in terms of "useful" forum posts as well as "free" articles posted on and hosted by Michael here on LuLa...

To compare and contrast, simply look at the total accumulated useful posts make by the member named "gmitchel" and compare that to the number of useful posts made by the member named "MarkDS".

Seriously, if you have ANY doubt about who is a committed and useful member of the LuLa community (MarkDS) and who is using this forum for the purpose of self promotion (gmitchel).

Simply follow the links...

Look at the posts made by "gmitchel" and state that ANY of the posts are ANYTHING other than promoting his "free" stuff (yeah, ok, "most" of his stuff is free, but "some" of it is for sale and therefore the whole enterprise is thus "commercial)...

In point of fact, I have ZERO idea what "gmitchel"" is saying in his posts here on LuLa...I've taken the liberty to "ignore" any of his posts (for a whole host of reasons which I'm perfectly happy explaining AFTER my upcoming Death Valley workshop next week) but I'm simply not comfortable having MarkDS characterized as ANYTHING other than a well-meaning and consistently supportive member of LuLa...which I would dispute ANYBODY of claiming "gmitchel" involvement of matching...

Seriously, Mark, let me apologize in advance for some of the more ignorant (and totally ill informed) responses you've gotten in this thread...

And as a further note, sorry, I'm off to the PODUS workshop this weekend (back Nov 16th) and I seriously won't be visiting this thread each and every day. A "lack" of response should not be construed as any sort of acceptance on my part...since I've got my prefs set to set to ignore "gmitchel" I won't be inclined to respond to him anyway...

Just ask yourself, who is a real contributor to this community and who isn't...
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 11:51:03 pm by Schewe »

DarkPenguin

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2009, 12:45:01 am »

OK Mitch - not to prolong this - but where I got the idea there is a recommended amount for a donation was what I read about the suggested 50 doillars when I clicked the Become a Benefactor link. As I say, in my opinion that's fine - I have no issue with any of that on your site. And I understand your position as explained above. One can always argue that material is free, and suporting the effort which provides it is a separate matter. I just have a hard time disassociating the two because I think such effort should be remunerated somehow, and its essentially commercial character seen as such. Nothing wrong with that. But I acknoweldge that others may see it differently and that's fine too. Peace.

I never even noticed the donate button until you mentioned it.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2009, 12:52:57 am »

Quote from: DarkPenguin
I never even noticed the donate button until you mentioned it.

Yeah, you ain't supposed to....

But make no mistake...while Micheal runs LuLa a a VERY hands off web site...that's not necessarily the case with other people.

All I'm saying, is determine the relative involvement with THIS particular community and make you OWN decision...

Pretty easy to decide.

You have a guy who posts only to promote his own web site and a guy who doesn't...

You decide...

(HINT: it ain't ROCKET SCIENCE)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2009, 09:34:14 am »

Quote from: Schewe
"MarkDS" is a regular and consistant (and useful) contributor to this forum in terms of "useful" forum posts as well as "free" articles posted on and hosted by Michael here on LuLa...

Seriously, Mark, let me apologize in advance for some of the more ignorant (and totally ill informed) responses you've gotten in this thread...

Thanks for the commendation Jeff - I much appreciate it.

When I first responded to the original post on this thread I anticipated there would be some reaction, because the basic issue can be quite subtle and therefore gets interpreted by different people in different ways. We're very fortunate (a) to have this forum and b. that Michael is pragmatic and sensible in his approach to managing it. So we all have a certain amount of latitude to use it as we see fit, as well as the privilege to initiate discussion of certain pertinent matters related thereto, which should be possible free of attacks with non-sequiturs or "dissing" at a personal level.

You have highlighted relevant objective data and the various points of view have been aired, so in the spirit of your closing remarks on your own busy schedule, I suggest we all say "Amen". I have my hands full as well over the next while and I think we're done here, so I shall not be responding to any further posts in this thread.

Mark
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 10:31:42 pm by MarkDS »

paulbk

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2009, 06:16:36 pm »

A man offers free stuff and it causes a flap. Boggles. He does not hound, belittle, or coerce  you into using his free stuff. He simply makes the offer and invites you to try. And he does it in one post.

Donation buttons and advert links are everywhere. Including some of the best photography sites on the web. So what? (Thinking of The Online Photographer -- which btw is exceptional!) It's a small price to pay for free stuff. Especially when the free stuff is relevant, current, useful, and entertaining.

Me thinks there's more personal politics to this thread than photography.
paul b.k.
New England, USA
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up