Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RED announcements  (Read 5255 times)

BJL

RED announcements
« on: November 01, 2009, 12:07:25 pm »

I wonder if there are any comments on the recent news from RED. I see that so far, the emphasis on products likely to be actually delivered anytime soon is all on "cinema 35mm" or "single frame 35mm", and the smaller "pro video" format of 2/3". Which makes sense to me, for compatibility with huge existing investments in cine-camera lenses for such formats.

What is really going on with RED as far as digital cine-cameras in larger formats like 36x24mm and 645?

Does it make sensor to have a split of mostly using smaller formats like 2/3" format for live video (unscripted events, often with only one chance to get the shot) and larger formats like 35mm for cinematography (scripted with the possibility of focus pulling and camera motion planned in advance, opportunities to retake, etc.)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 12:09:06 pm by BJL »

billy

RED announcements
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 06:24:08 pm »

sorry to not really answer your questions but I was following all the red announcements as well and was disappointed on oct 30. I have grown tired of waiting for them so now i will be buying a canon for my video needs, probably the 5DII. The only issue seems to be the inability to shoot at 24p, which for many seems to be a dealbreaker. I dont like the 7d becuase of the 1.6 crop factor, and the 1d mk4 seems overpriced and still have the 1.3 crop factor. I would buy a 1ds mk4 to update my 1ds mk3 but it doesnt exist yet! I am not into waiting around anymore, I need a video camera NOW.

I should have bought the 5d II when it came out but I thought there would be a "better" camera by now.

Graeme Nattress

• http://www.nattress.com
RED announcements
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 08:44:44 pm »

Recent update was on the larger sensor Epic line. The Scarlet line will get an update end of this month.

Billy - if you need a video camera now, and can make money with it now, there's no point waiting. Although 7D is a crop sensor, it's not cropped when you compare it to 35mm motion picture film. I'd research carefully on the 5D2 as the 7D addressed some ergonomic issues with shooting, and provides for different frame rates which can be essential depending where you live in the world and wish to deliver footage.

Graeme

BJL

RED announcements
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 09:40:54 am »

Quote from: Graeme Nattress
The Scarlet line will get an update end of this month.
Which new Scarlet model is coming this month? I presume one or both of what I call the "video-camera" versions, with 2/3" sensor, rather than the larger sensor "digital cine-camera" Scarlet S35.

Graeme Nattress

RED announcements
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 09:43:37 am »

It's an update on the Scarlet line.

Graeme

BJL

RED announcements
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 10:52:06 am »

It's an update on the Scarlet line.
Graeme, you seem to have missed the point of my question: the RED website http://www.red.com/epic_scarlet/ lists four flavors of future Scarlet model:
Scarlet 2/3" 8x fixed zoom
Scarlet 2/3" Cinema (accepts miniRED interchangeable lenses)
Scarlet S35 DSMC (30x15mm Mysterium-X sensor as in coming EPIC S35 Pro Cinema models)
Scarlet FF35 DSMC

Which of these four are coming soon?

Graeme Nattress

RED announcements
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 11:01:03 am »

The order of the release of the products is:

Epic-X S35, Epic S35
Scarlet 2/3" 8x Fixed and Scarlet 2/3" interchangeable (details Nov 30th)

Scarlet S35
Epic FF35
Scarlet FF35
Epic 654
Epic 617

Hope that helps,

Graeme

BJL

RED announcements
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 04:12:59 pm »

The order of the release of the products is:

Epic-X S35, Epic S35
Scarlet 2/3" 8x Fixed and Scarlet 2/3" interchangeable (details Nov 30th)

Scarlet S35
Epic FF35
Scarlet FF35
Epic 654
Epic 617
Thanks. The debate I think is on when the big jump indicated above, beyond "cinema 35mm" and PL mount lenses, will happen!

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
RED announcements
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 09:08:16 am »

Quote from: BJL
Thanks. The debate I think is on when the big jump indicated above, beyond "cinema 35mm" and PL mount lenses, will happen!

Looks to be a long wait before rhe Scarlet FF35 is about

As I understand it the Epic is more pricey and has more FPS

The Scarlet FF35 seems the cheapest option to be a possible replacement to a D3 or suchlike , with Pro video and ultra (in stills terms) FPS as a welcom addition

On the 5d v 7d, they are now gonig to bring out a 5d upgrade (firmware) to bring 24/5p

This IMO make the 5d preferable to the 7 once that has happened

mainly because of the lack of fast wides and zooms available in DSLR mounts

remember many movies are shout with crazy F2 wide glass

I feel that with afforable lenses I have 24-105 and 70-200F4, I get a more cinematic feel on the 5 than the 7

S
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK
Pages: [1]   Go Up