Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Horses for courses  (Read 2052 times)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Horses for courses
« on: November 01, 2009, 05:24:38 am »

Hi,

The LL site is very informative, at least in my humble opinion. What I'm a bit missing nowdays is articles putting things in perspective. To my understanding Michael now uses the Leica M9, the Panasonic G1 (?), the Phase One camera with P65+ and possibly Sony Alpha. Michael mentioned that there is a clear difference in image quality, largely following sensor size, with the M9 being better than the Sony Alpha although having similar sensor size.

These cameras are very different, I actually only have the Sony Alpha 900. That camera is big when combined with the 24-70/2.8 lens I also have. Obviously it's nothing that you take for a walk. The Leica has always been a walkaround camera and the Panasonic G1 may also play that role. Considering the difference in price on the M9 and the Panasonic it would be interesting to read about Michael Reichmann's view on how when to employ each system.

The other kind of article I'm missing is some kind of retrospective. What happened to the M8, switching from the Hasselblad to the Phase One system? Is the Linhof still around?

Best regards
Erik
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 05:36:36 am by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

michael

Horses for courses
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 06:20:42 am »

Stay tuned. At least one article along these lines is finished, and will be published soon, and I have another in mind.

Michael

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
Horses for courses
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 08:45:40 am »

Interesting to me because I’ve always assumed a certain, historic best approach to equipment.  However, because technology has advanced so far, perhaps it is completely wrong.  First, my photographic situation:

1.   Amateur; I have another full-time job.
2.   Main interest in landscape / nature photography (not much bird or mammal; mostly static subjects).
3.   Yearly budget averages about $10k USD for photography-related equipment.  Sounds like a lot at first, but think about it: Computers, software, storage, printers, camera, lenses…
4.   Travel a lot, usually for business.  This takes me to interesting places so I often bring a camera, but have very little time to dedicate (usually ½ day).
5.   At informal family events I’m the default photographer (not weddings – no way!)

My guess is that many of us here either fit into my situation - or are pros.  Given the above, I’ve assumed the following approach was best:

•   Use a DSLR system for my “serious” photography and for travel if I’m headed somewhere of interest.
•   Have a simple P&S for events, gatherings and snapshots.  This is usually carried in my wife’s purse because it also serves as ‘her’ camera.

I’m willing to bet that most of us who are resource-limited take this approach.  But what if it is wrong?   Perhaps I should save up, sell all those DSLR cameras and lenses and buy a Phase One system with only two lenses (or something like it).  Most of my photos could have been taken with one wide angle and one medium telephoto anyway.  Then get a good P&S for travel and everything else that is done off-tripod.

Or, would an M9 do everything?  Well, I wouldn't keep it in my wife's purse, that's for sure.

The historic argument against this was that technology is changing so fast that I would not be able to upgrade high-end equipment fast enough because of my budget constraints.  But now, perhaps the marginal quality benefits of upgrades are low enough that the required upgrade frequency is long.  

??

Dave

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Horses for courses
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 10:11:13 am »

OK! Tuned to LL channel!

Erik

Quote from: michael
Stay tuned. At least one article along these lines is finished, and will be published soon, and I have another in mind.

Michael
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: [1]   Go Up