Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: G10-G11-s90-GF1_73 noise test  (Read 16636 times)

oldcsar

G10-G11-s90-GF1_73 noise test
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2009, 01:33:11 am »

With respect to improvements in sensor efficiency for compact cameras, I've noticed marginal improvement over the years... even with increasing megapixel counts. My Canon Powershot S40 and S50 produced very poor ISO 400 RAWs, which was characterised by significant loss of fine detail due to blotchy color noise. My G9 can produce pretty decent IS0 800 RAWs in good light only, but the S90/G11 sensor appears to do even better at retaining fine details at higher ISO, despite the noise which may be there. Some samples here:

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/po...90-review/using

I'm a little skeptical that these pocket cameras can achieve an IS0 3200 equivalent in RAW, without it being a "pushed" ISO, like ISO 3200 on the Canon 30D.
What then, is the real maximum sensitivity of a camera like the S90 or G11? Or, more importantly, the practical limit for maximizing the potential of ISO while shooting RAW?
Brendan Wiebe
 [url=http://smg.photobucke

tbonanno

• Tony Bonanno Photography, LLC
G10-G11-s90-GF1_73 noise test
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2009, 12:46:32 am »

Quote from: Wayne Fox
Was checking out the s90 and G11 the other day, and decided to do a quick noise test for fun.

All images taken on full manual (including focus).  Processed in LR 3beta, with all noise reduction and sharpening turned off.  The only thing I did was use use the white balance tool on the medium gray. Base exposure was IS0 100 for 1 second at f/8, aperture was kept constant and shutter speed varied as ISO was increased.  A 100 pixel square was cropped from each image and the resulting grid is a 1 to 1 pixel ratio on the screen.  

Working with the files, there is a definite and obvious quality difference between the GF1 and the smaller cameras, they were more like the 7d files.  My personal opinion is that other than perhaps niche uses such as macro and underwater mentioned in another thread, the G11 doesn't have much to offer.  The s90 delivers very similar quality, including similar noise performance and will actually fit in your shirt pocket.  If the s90 isn't good enough, moving to the G11 won't get you all that much (as far as image quality). You are better off moving to the GF1, a camera which continues to impress me.  Canon should consider a larger sensor version of a G11 for the G12.  I'm going to take a s90 out for a day or two and shoot it alongside a 7d just for fun.

Handling of the G11 was odd at first ... the thumbwheel is smaller and a little awkward. I kept hitting the wrong buttons.  Once  I realized it protrudes further and you need to move it on the side rather than on the top it wasn't too bad.  The articulating LCD is a nice feature, and the improved noise might make an upgrade worthwhile to some, but that's a pretty pricey upgrade to get about 1 more stop of noise performance and a swiveling LCD.

the grid is a little large, 1.5 mb ... I saved it at highest quality jpeg to minimize possible distortion of the noise from jpeg artifacts.

[attachment=17613:FullScene.jpg][attachment=17614:Combined_Detail1.jpg]

H Wayne,

Thanks for starting this thread.  Interesting discussion of various parameters..

I received a GF1 with the 1.7 pancake lens last week.  I'm a working photographer (EOS 1 bodies) who has long wished for something more along the lines of the old Leica I carried in the late '60's that is digital and affordable.  For personal work and projects, not my client stuff.   I think the GF1 is almost there.  I've been amazed at what this camera is capable of for street shooting.  I sold my G10 yesterday.  Today I mounted a Leica 35mm (equiv 70mm) f2 Summicron on the GF1 and went out and took a few shots.  Worked great (although slower of course than the fast AF pancake f1.7 lens).  Pic attached.

Tony Bonanno

[attachment=18861:GF1_Leic...ummicron.jpg]
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 12:47:55 am by tbonanno »
Tony Bonanno Photography
ASMP Profession
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up