Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving Catalogue from LR2 to LR3b  (Read 3520 times)

rosemanbridge

• http://
Moving Catalogue from LR2 to LR3b
« on: October 30, 2009, 04:53:28 am »

I have imported files into LR3b with 1:1 Previews which has created a catalogue data file of 60GB. I have installed all my presets etc into LR3b. Is now a safe time to delete the LR2 Catalogue to free up some HD space or should I keep the two catalogues until LR3 Final is released?

francois

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 05:22:58 am »

Quote from: rosemanbridge
I have imported files into LR3b with 1:1 Previews which has created a catalogue data file of 60GB. I have installed all my presets etc into LR3b. Is now a safe time to delete the LR2 Catalogue to free up some HD space or should I keep the two catalogues until LR3 Final is released?
Don't throw away your Lightroom 2 catalog! This would be a silly and unwise move. Lightroom 3 is, as mentionned by Adobe, beta software with bugs and no official support.
Francois

Scott O.

• Photography by Scott and Joyce
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 11:20:52 am »

I agree...there is absolutely no reason to dump your LR2 catalog at this time.  To do so would be tempting the pixel gods to do their worst with your files.  Better safe than sorry!

francois

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 11:48:50 am »

And… what's gonna happen if the 3.0 beta catalog can't be upgraded to the final Lightroom 3.0 format?
Francois

sergio

• http://www.sergiobartelsman.com
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 12:33:27 pm »

You can be sure it will be upgradeable. In the meantime do as Michael advises in his essay. have everything with sidecar files or as dng and catalog in LR2 not LR3b. I use the beta only to process files, nothing else. It is still very buggy and unstable, but it is already a great improvement  .

francois

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 12:38:59 pm »

Quote from: sergio
You can be sure it will be upgradeable. In the meantime do as Michael advises in his essay. have everything with sidecar files or as dng and catalog in LR2 not LR3b. I use the beta only to process files, nothing else. It is still very buggy and unstable, but it is already a great improvement  .
Granted, in the past, Lightroom catalogs (beta) could always be converted to the final versions. But this is a very early beta and a bad surprise can happen.

As you said, right now, Lightroom 3.0 beta is fantastic to process files. I wouldn't advise users to use it for anything else (and for testing, of course).
Francois

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 01:13:42 pm »

You can be sure it will be upgradeable. In the meantime do as Michael advises in his essay. have everything with sidecar files or as dng and catalog in LR2 not LR3b.

I’m not sure I understand the sentence he writes:
The program only reads the files, never writes to them, and anything that it does with them is then either saved out to an XML sidecar file, or as a DNG copy, or saved in a Lightroom catalog file – never to the raw file itself.

It does write back to DNG of course. Is he suggesting that all DNG’s be copies prior to 3.0 usage? That is, LR3 isn’t going to do this for you, you’ll have to copy your library of DNG files and then import or am I missing something?

Further, I’d love to be sure it will be upgradable but I don’t know I’d bet the farm on that one.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

glenerrolrd

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 03:30:49 pm »

Quote from: digitaldog
I’m not sure I understand the sentence he writes:

It does write back to DNG of course. Is he suggesting that all DNG’s be copies prior to 3.0 usage? That is, LR3 isn’t going to do this for you, you’ll have to copy your library of DNG files and then import or am I missing something?

Further, I’d love to be sure it will be upgradable but I don’t know I’d bet the farm on that one.

Andy  

Writing back to DNG s is an issue for Leica users as our raw file is a DNG out of the camera.    My workflow references the files without moving .  I am not importing and converting the raw file to a DNG.   When I export a file from LR2 as an "original" it appears to have the sidecar information written into my original DNG.    Adobe told me that the DNG has also be converted using the LR2 and that I had no path back to the original raw file .  Can that be true?  

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2009, 04:15:43 pm »

Quote from: francois
Granted, in the past, Lightroom catalogs (beta) could always be converted to the final versions. But this is a very early beta and a bad surprise can happen.

As you said, right now, Lightroom 3.0 beta is fantastic to process files. I wouldn't advise users to use it for anything else (and for testing, of course).

Per the release notes, LR 1.x, 2.x, and 3 beta catalogs will migrate to the finished version of LR 3.

However, develop settings applied in LR 3 beta are not guaranteed to transfer correctly to the final version of LR 3.
Eric Chan
Pages: [1]   Go Up