Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stuck Pixels - What's Acceptable?  (Read 2532 times)

channel_mixer

Stuck Pixels - What's Acceptable?
« on: October 29, 2009, 06:23:43 pm »

Hello,

I purchased a new NEC 2690 which arrived yesterday and I noticed a small red speck in the center of the screen that looks like it's just under the surface of the panel. I thought it may have been a stuck pixel so when I ran the black screen test I realized it was something else -- and that's when I saw the stuck pixels that I do have. It looks like there are two in a row.

I've been reading up on the monitor since discovering this and have noticed some others things. I purchased the version with the calibration software and after doing so I also notice that the test screen at http://www.piezography.com/PiezoPress/ is viewable only down to next to last line.

In any event, I'm worried about this red speck and the stuck pixels. I know that I'm a bit of an obsessive sort so I'm not sure if I'm overreacting or if I should feel upset that a new monitor should exhibit such problems.

Your feedback is most appreciated.

David

edwinb

• http://www.image2output.com
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 06:46:47 pm »

I saw a monitor in PC world and was told that 1 pixel was 'within manufacturers spec'- I didnt buy it
These notes are helpful on how to try fixing it

edwin
Edwin Blenkinsopp
Technical Manager
image2output
m:  +44 (0) 7836 674749
e: edwin@image2output.com
w: Sinar |  Foba |Inkjet

channel_mixer

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 05:57:37 pm »

Thanks for the response. I came across that post in my searches and I will still try the little gif animation yet, but I think I will stay away from pressing against the screen since this is clearly something recommended against in the manual. I don't want the cure to be worse than the disease.

I called NEC and they asked for some photos of the display. I also have a red particle spec beneath the surface so that in combination with the stuck pixel(s) may be enough for an exchange. Find out next week.

At first I was slightly underwhelmed by the monitor even though I was coming from a lowly 20" Apple Cinema Display, but after spending some time with it I'm starting to feel an appreciation for all that it has to offer. The pixel pitch takes some getting used to, text is a little mushy and the matte screen looks maybe a little too matte at times, but I feel like I am seeing details, color, contrast so much better now and the few prints I've run so far have been fairly accurate translations from the screen and less of an educated guess.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 01:11:33 pm »

If that red thing is a piece o'crud rather than a stuck pixel, (and you can't get a replacement) I read somewhere that it's difficult but not impossible to remove the plastic cover sheet.  I imagine it would take a lot of tries to get it replaced without introducing new crud.

Have you looked at it with a strong magnifier?  Might a mechanical dent or defect  in the LCD.

On my 2690 I've got one single black pixel over on the right side which fortunately sits inside the PS menus.  It's really no big deal but every once in a while I find myself trying to flick it away.  Kind of annoying, but when I'm actually engrossed in working it just doesn't matter. When I had a CRT I always had crud on the screen and somehow that didn't bother me enough to clean it very often.

channel_mixer

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 06:12:02 pm »

NEC agreed to replace the monitor. Only thing is they do not have any in stock, so the waiting game begins, but I can deal with that. I guess it's quite a popular model. Anyhow, their responsiveness is very commendable.
Pages: [1]   Go Up