Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 3880 Profile for Ilford Gold Fibre Silk  (Read 21568 times)

StuartOnline

• Travels Photographer Stuart Schaefer
Epson 3880 Profile for Ilford Gold Fibre Silk
« on: October 29, 2009, 12:48:11 pm »

Yesterday I received the new Epson 3880.
In the process of setting it up.

Did contact Ilford about ICC Profile for Gold Fibre Silk.
They informed me to use the profile for the Epson 4880.
Wondering if anyone has already done that and how it works.
Really do not want to waste a bunch of Gold Fibre Silk running tests.

Thanks for any input.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 03:17:30 pm by StuartOnline »

StuartOnline

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 07:15:18 pm »

Well, I finally was able to get the time to setup the new Epson 3880.
Very easy going, however I must have removed 50+ pieces tape.
From start to finish it must have taken about 45 minutes to one hour.
Did a head alinement and calibrated for a couple of photos papers.

Did three print tests on 17x22 paper via Lightroom 2.5:

Ilford Gold Fibre Silk (using 4880 profile as suggested from Ilford)
Red River Linen (Red River has a print profile already listed for the 3880 on there Website)
Premier Image Products Premium Luster (setting Epson Premium Glossy Photo Paper)

Each test to my surprise matched my monitor (Apple LED Cinema Display 24" flat panel) just about dead on.
When I had printed using the Canon IPF5000 I always had problems matching the monitor.

I will have to admit that the Epson 3880 is an impressive printer.
Also feel for now that Ilford Gold Fibre Silk is a good choice for this printer.
However I want to give some of Epson papers a try like the Velvet Fine Are Paper and Epson Exhibition Fiber Paper.

Brentbat

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 06:57:57 am »

Quote from: StuartOnline
I will have to admit that the Epson 3880 is an impressive printer.
Also feel for now that Ilford Gold Fibre Silk is a good choice for this printer.
However I want to give some of Epson papers a try like the Velvet Fine Are Paper and Epson Exhibition Fiber Paper.

Hey Stuart

I just got the Epson 4880 a few weeks back, they use the same inkset, so I can relate to your excitement about the printer/quality etc.  It is stunning.

Regarding papers.  I have the gold silk fibre which I love.

However I have also recently bought the Canson Photosatin which I am very impressed with.  The gold silk is a warmer paper by comparison, but I'm really enjoying the Canson paper.

i'd give it a try.

Brent

StuartOnline

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 09:02:04 am »

Quote from: Brentbat
Hey Stuart

I just got the Epson 4880 a few weeks back, they use the same inkset, so I can relate to your excitement about the printer/quality etc.  It is stunning.

Regarding papers.  I have the gold silk fibre which I love.

However I have also recently bought the Canson Photosatin which I am very impressed with.  The gold silk is a warmer paper by comparison, but I'm really enjoying the Canson paper.

i'd give it a try.

Brent

Thanks for the info about Canson Photosatin.  Will have to look into it.
The colors really do pop with the Epson 3880 and I am sure you get the same results with the 4880.
Down the road I would like to purcahse another 24" printer to take the place of the HP Design Jet 130 that I currerntly have along with the Canon IPF5000.
Waiting to see if Epson has any new ones in the works.

robgo2

• Robert Goldstein Photography
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 12:11:33 am »

Yesterday I received the new Epson 3880.
In the process of setting it up.

Did contact Ilford about ICC Profile for Gold Fibre Silk.
They informed me to use the profile for the Epson 4880.
Wondering if anyone has already done that and how it works.
Really do not want to waste a bunch of Gold Fibre Silk running tests.

Thanks for any input.

I got the same response from Ilford and tried it with my 3880.  The results were awful.  Everything worked much better using the profiles for Epson's own Semigloss or Premium Luster.  When Ilford does publish its own profiles for GFS, I would bet that the results will not be much better.

Rob

StuartOnline

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 12:38:10 pm »

Quote from: robgo2
I got the same response from Ilford and tried it with my 3880.  The results were awful.  Everything worked much better using the profiles for Epson's own Semigloss or Premium Luster.  When Ilford does publish its own profiles for GFS, I would bet that the results will not be much better.

Rob

I just received the following updated email from Ilford regarding GFS:

--------------------------------------------
Dear Stuart

In our earlier email we proposed to use profiles for the 4880 printer model. In the meantime we decided to create specific profiles for the 3880 printer model as it seems to be too different in the print result to other printer models with the same ink set. We will get the 3880 printer as soon as it is available in Switzerland and come up with the profiles as soon as possible.

Kind regards

ILFORD Imaging Switzerland GmbH
Technical websupport

Technicalsupport/CH/ILFORD
-------------------------------------------------------

Jeremy Payne

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 01:48:28 pm »

Quote from: robgo2
When Ilford does publish its own profiles for GFS, I would bet that the results will not be much better.

Why do you say that?  The profile for the 2880 is really good.

Nigelfrommanchester

• http://www.nigelatkinson.biz
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 04:44:37 pm »

I couldn't wait any longer to make my first A2 print, and GFS was the only A2 paper I had. I'm really happy with the result using the canned profile for Premium Luster.

Nigel
Nigel Atkinson
[url=http://www.nigelatki

dimapant

• NITAL - nikonphotographer
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 03:09:47 pm »

Dear Stuart

In our earlier email we proposed to use profiles for the 4880 printer model. In the meantime we decided to create specific profiles for the 3880 printer model as it seems to be too different in the print result to other printer models with the same ink set. We will get the 3880 printer as soon as it is available in Switzerland and come up with the profiles as soon as possible.

Kind regards

Technical websupport

I just got this today.
"Dear Alessandro

Thank you for your email and your interest in ILFORD products.

We will come up with specific profiles for this printer soon. At the moment we wait for delivery of the printer but we estimate that we can offer the profiles by mid december.
Although the 4880 printer should be equivalent in terms of ink set and print engine we learned from first feedbacks that the profiles of the 4880 printer do not work good enough with the new 3880.
Thus we ask you for some patience.

Kind regards

Technical websupport

"
It is just few days waiting.

Best regards to all of you!

dimapant

• NITAL - nikonphotographer
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 03:10:08 pm »

Dear Stuart

Kind regards

Technical websupport

I just got this today.
"Dear Alessandro

Thank you for your email and your interest in ILFORD products.

We will come up with specific profiles for this printer soon. At the moment we wait for delivery of the printer but we estimate that we can offer the profiles by mid december.
Although the 4880 printer should be equivalent in terms of ink set and print engine we learned from first feedbacks that the profiles of the 4880 printer do not work good enough with the new 3880.
Thus we ask you for some patience.

Kind regards

Technical websupport

"
It is just few days waiting.

issa

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 10:45:17 am »

Hi All

I am in the process of making my own profiles on the Epson 3880 for Ilford Gold Fibre, I print a two page target)900+) patches, and will measure tonight, giving a chance to dry. Once tested happy to share.

Also will be making a much larger (5200+) patches, thus more accuarte profile, this will longer, lots of measuring.

Send me an email if intersted in these profiles - these will be measured with I1Pro and profilemaker Pro 5.

Best regards to all of you![/quote]
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 10:48:21 am by issa »
Issa

Beds, UK

issa

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 04:53:38 am »

Quote from: issa

Hi All

I am in the process of making my own profiles on the Epson 3880 for Ilford Gold Fibre, I print a two page target)900+) patches, and will measure tonight, giving a chance to dry. Once tested happy to share.

Also will be making a much larger (5200+) patches, thus more accuarte profile, this will longer, lots of measuring.

Send me an email if intersted in these profiles - these will be measured with I1Pro and profilemaker Pro 5.

Profile ready for any one interested (attached zip file)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 09:31:51 am by issa »
Issa

Beds, UK

ScottMcGlynn

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2009, 10:15:24 pm »

Wow! I just printed my first try with this profile and got the best match yet to my NEC 2690 monitor. Excellent work! Thank you so much for sharing.

Scott McGlynn

stevedickie

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2009, 05:42:22 am »

Thanks Issa - really impressed with this profile!

Not done any formal tests but, based on a few prints now, to my eyes it is spot on.
(and much better than the results I was getting with the standard Epson Premium Semi-gloss profile, which seemed to be a bit too much magenta on this paper).

Cheers, Steve

CarlW

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2009, 12:05:01 pm »

What rendering intent, printer driver media type, and printer driver print quality should be selected when using this profile?

issa

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2009, 12:28:03 pm »

Quote from: CarlW
What rendering intent, printer driver media type, and printer driver print quality should be selected when using this profile?

I would use Premium semi gloss and print at 1440 as I did not see any visual improvement at 2880, but I was printing A4, this is a personal choice, rendering I use relative but again, depending on the image perceptual might work better, experiment with soft proofing and see what gives you best results.
Issa

Beds, UK

CarlW

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2009, 01:38:55 pm »

I would use Premium semi gloss and print at 1440 as I did not see any visual improvement at 2880, but I was printing A4, this is a personal choice, rendering I use relative but again, depending on the image perceptual might work better, experiment with soft proofing and see what gives you best results.

OK. Thanks for the quick response.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2009, 09:55:10 am »

I hope you know that unless someone from say Illford built this profile after licensing it from GretagMacbeth (X-Rite), that is, if you built this profile yourself, it is against the licensing agreement of the software to give away the profile.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

issa

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2009, 11:34:58 am »

Quote from: digitaldog
I hope you know that unless someone from say Illford built this profile after licensing it from GretagMacbeth (X-Rite), that is, if you built this profile yourself, it is against the licensing agreement of the software to give away the profile.

Hi Andrew

Was not aware that I need permission from either Ilford or Xrite to share a profile, after all some people charge for this service, are you sure? as i don't want to break any rules or licence agreements, otherwise I will remove the profile.

Regards
Issa
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 11:37:07 am by issa »
Issa

Beds, UK

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2009, 11:50:08 am »

Was not aware that I need permission from either Ilford or Xrite to share a profile, after all some people charge for this service, are you sure? as i don't want to break any rules or licence agreements, otherwise I will remove the profile.

You need to check for sure. I know a big company (and I know that’s not well defined yet) can’t build a profile and share it via the web without contacting and usually licensing the profile. I know individuals can build their own, or build and sell for individual use, a profile. That usually means the single profile is for a single physical device. Its the distributed as a canned profile by maker of the profile you need to check into. Sharing a profile via a forum? I don’t know that’s kosher. Depending on the version of the software, there will be a EULA that kind of spells it out.

For ProfileMaker Pro version 5.1.0 (and for all I know, earlier EULA could be different):
Restrictions.
(a) You may use each Profile only for the specific display, input or output device owned by you, for which the device Profile was created;

(A Profile may be shared with third parties for proofing purposes, provided that the Profile (i) is embedded within an image or publication; or (ii) sent to a service provider along with an image or publication for use exclusively with that image or publication;

©You may provide a Profile to a third party for personal use by such third party only on a specific display, input or output device owned by the third party for which the device Profile was created as part of Your commercial profiling service to such third party. It is clarified that You may not provide Profiles to any third party for distribution witH such third party’s display, input or output device.

(d)Except as expressly permitted in this Agreement, You may not Yourself or through any other person, do any of the following: (i) sell, license, sublicense, lease, rent, lend, disclose, permit access to, or transfer to any third party, whether for profit or without charge, any Profile; (ii) allow any third party to use a Profile; or (iii) distribute to any third party a Profile in any way or form, whether by networks, electronic bulletin boards, web sites or otherwise.   X-Rite may permit certain distribution rights under a separate written distribution agreement.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 01:49:45 pm by digitaldog »
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up