Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone using Schneider electronic shutter USB control box or ES unit?  (Read 3241 times)

bdp

• http://www.bendearnleyphotography.com

I have 3 Schneider Digitar lenses I used to use with a multishot Jenoptik back that could control the shutters with just a cable from the lens to the back, with AC power to the lens coming via a wall socket in the studio.

I no longer use this back but have a Sinar eMotion 75LV back. The Sinar software cannot control the shutter with just a cable like the Jenoptik software could - the only way to fire these shutters is with hardware from Schneider - either a battery powered hand controller (the 'ES') or a USB box that operates the shutters via a small application on a computer. This application can communicate with most capture software so the software can fire the shutter when tethered.  Both options are a cumbersome solution to fire the shutters and make my lenses usable again, but the only other option is to convert all my lenses to Copal shutters which costs more than the USB box or ES controller.

So I need to decide between the USB box or the ES controller - the former must be used with a computer so tethered only, although with a laptop I would still have a degree of freedom. The latter allows me to work untethered but with a large handset hanging off the tripod, but at least it's smaller than a laptop. However I don't know if the ES controller allows me to also release the shutter from the computer, giving me the best of both worlds. My intuition and a read of both the manuals seems to suggest it doesn't. There is some mention of 'external control' by the digital back in the ES manual, and I am clarifying that with my local Schneider dealer and Sinar, but in the meantime I thought I'd see if there are any users of these devices out there who can offer some help.

Ben
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 04:12:47 am by bdp »

BJNY

Anyone using Schneider electronic shutter USB control box or ES unit?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 05:39:08 am »

Ben, off-topic....
may I ask if the shutters are buttery smooth in operation?
I visited the Schneider booth at the recent Expo in NY,
and was surprised to hear loudish? scrunch sounds
as the shutter opened and closed.

Thank you,
Billy

Guillermo

bdp

• http://www.bendearnleyphotography.com
Anyone using Schneider electronic shutter USB control box or ES unit?
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 06:20:46 am »

Quote from: BJNY
Ben, off-topic....
may I ask if the shutters are buttery smooth in operation?
I visited the Schneider booth at the recent Expo in NY,
and was surprised to hear loudish? scrunch sounds
as the shutter opened and closed.

Thank you,
Billy

Hi Billy,

They do sound like a rusty tractor a bit, but I wouldn't worry - they are so smooth despite their sounds that they are suitable for 16-shot captures without a hint of misalignment between captures.

Ben
Pages: [1]   Go Up