Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Padding with black for gallery wraps  (Read 2047 times)

markdfink

Padding with black for gallery wraps
« on: October 28, 2009, 03:51:51 pm »

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out a way to add black around an image so that I can have the image come flush to the edge of the frame, then have black wrapping around the frame. Currently, I open the image in Photoshop. resize the canvas, and add black. Since this varies depending on the size of the printed image, it would be really nice to be able to do this on the fly with Lightroom. Is this possible? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mark

tomrock

• http://tomrockwell.com
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 08:29:42 am »

There's a plugin called Mogrify that will do this (and much more) for exported images automatically.

markdfink

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 08:46:21 am »

Thanks for pointing me to that software. It looks VERY promising. I've sent an email to the author to see if the border process can be done in the Print module, rather than as an export option. I don't want to permanently modify the underlying image, just add a border prior to printing that would be discarded after the print is made.

markdfink

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 09:40:52 am »

I just got a VERY quick response back from Tim of Photographer's Toolbox. "I'm afraid not, plug-ins don't yet have access to anything other than a standard export." It's nice to see a software developer who responds so quickly.

I'm doing some research on possbily using the Identity Plate with "Render behind image" checked for this. It requires creating an image filled with black at the pixel dimensions you want, but this is really fast, even with big images (the one I'm working on now is 21,600x7,200 pixels), since you are creating an image with just one color - black in my case. This seems to work.

I'm using the steps in this document as a guideline:

http://professionalsnapshots.com/blog/arch...egory/lightroom

So, maybe I've found a solution after all, even if it is a workaround. I think you can create a template to speed up the process. My guess is that you can create a new background image on the fly, overwrite your template image, then call the template up in the Print module and be all set. More testing to follow...

Mark
www.northernlight.net
www.pinnacle-vr.com

TimothyArmes

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 10:19:46 am »

Quote from: markdfink
I just got a VERY quick response back from Tim of Photographer's Toolbox. "I'm afraid not, plug-ins don't yet have access to anything other than a standard export." It's nice to see a software developer who responds so quickly.

Thanks Mark,

I always try to respond quickly, however the reality isn't always so rosey.  If I'm bogged down in work or out on a shoot for a couple of days then my plug-ins are forced to wait a little.

In today's world people get angry when I don't respond within 12 hours :(

As a single-handed photographer, offering donationware plugin's it isn't always easy.  I try my best though.

Tim

LeiMeng

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 06:05:04 pm »

Quote from: markdfink

I'm doing some research on possbily using the Identity Plate with "Render behind image" checked for this. It requires creating an image filled with black at the pixel dimensions you want, but this is really fast, even with big images (the one I'm working on now is 21,600x7,200 pixels), since you are creating an image with just one color - black in my case. This seems to work.

I'm using the steps in this document as a guideline:

http://professionalsnapshots.com/blog/arch...egory/lightroom

So, maybe I've found a solution after all, even if it is a workaround. I think you can create a template to speed up the process. My guess is that you can create a new background image on the fly, overwrite your template image, then call the template up in the Print module and be all set. More testing to follow...

Mark
www.northernlight.net
www.pinnacle-vr.com

Kool!  I have the exact same need.  Just like you I did it in photoshop first.  Now this method is better!  Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up