Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: New CO 5 release! Lots of attractive innovations  (Read 20471 times)

tho_mas

New CO 5 release! Lots of attractive innovations
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2009, 04:55:04 am »

Quote from: dougpetersonci
select Bundled Scripts - Stitch in Photoshop. It's very powerful and fast
not really powerful as the merging mode selected in the script is one that may deform the captures sometimes. I actually prefer the "reposition only" mode. Too, I prefer that the layers stay separated in the first step to check the stitching... sometimes there are little errors and you may not discover them immediately if you don't know were the stichting line goes through the image.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 05:02:31 am by tho_mas »

aaanorton

• http://
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2009, 12:25:36 pm »

Has anyone tried moving a session from v5 to v4? Any problems with this? If v5 fails, it'd be nice to be able to just fire up v4.

Anyone compare processing times on a multi-core machine? Any chance of Grand Central optimization?

At first glance the focus mask sounded lame to me. But I gotta say it works well and quickly. I can see its potential.
Still can't select multiple folders from the Library. Bummer.
But I see some more good v3.x features being trickled back in. Excellent! This woulda been a great v4.9!

Thanks!

selsoe

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2009, 12:46:58 pm »

Quote from: aaanorton
Has anyone tried moving a session from v5 to v4? Any problems with this? If v5 fails, it'd be nice to be able to just fire up v4.

Anyone compare processing times on a multi-core machine? Any chance of Grand Central optimization?

At first glance the focus mask sounded lame to me. But I gotta say it works well and quickly. I can see its potential.
Still can't select multiple folders from the Library. Bummer.
But I see some more good v3.x features being trickled back in. Excellent! This woulda been a great v4.9!

Thanks!

Version 4 sessions are converted but not overwritten, so you can go back to 4. V. 4 sessions end in .col45, v. 5 sessions end in .col50.

tho_mas

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2009, 03:27:03 pm »

Quote from: aaanorton
Has anyone tried moving a session from v5 to v4?
that isn't going to work. V4 stores it's settings in a folder named "settings45". V5 creates new folders named "settings50". Too, you can't locate a V5 session file with V4 (you can locate it but it's grayed out).
[attachment=17587:c1v5.jpg]
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 03:41:57 pm by tho_mas »

Snook

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2009, 04:33:21 pm »

could you trick it by changing the name of the Col45 to col50...:+} On a copy of course as not to ruin it...
I am going to start fiddling around when I get home with my laptop...:+}
Snook

selsoe

« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2009, 05:27:46 pm »

Quote from: Snook
could you trick it by changing the name of the Col45 to col50...:+} On a copy of course as not to ruin it...
I am going to start fiddling around when I get home with my laptop...:+}
Snook

Not gonna work

FlashDB

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2009, 04:44:38 am »

Quote from: Steve Hendrix
As usual, we are not recommending that anyone install this DAY ONE release on a critical computer or use for any critical job.
We have been working with the beta version up until now and are not prepared to advocate the release yet for prime time. We begin testing the new release starting today and will post our findings and recommendations soon.
But yes, there are some nice new features in there. The dust brush seems to work great, being able to have a small floating focus check window again is nice - especially being able to have multiple focus check windows, etc, etc.
It's good stuff, but be careful.
Steve Hendrix

Hi Steve

I find your post quite odd    Are you saying that you do not recommend us to use version 5.0 until it's been tested properly?

/David

Rick_Allen

• http://www.rapdigital.net
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2009, 05:04:59 am »

I think he is just saying that you shouldn't turn up to a shoot without testing it in a job like environment and/or have a planB if it starts behaving badly.
Rick Allen
[url=http://www.rapdigital.ne

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2009, 05:05:53 am »

Quote from: FlashDB
Hi Steve

I find your post quite odd    Are you saying that you do not recommend us to use version 5.0 until it's been tested properly?

/David

What is so odd ? I would never use a new program on a important workstation. It's the same as I would not upgrade a system, or firmware just after it came out, if I need it to earn my money.
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

tho_mas

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2009, 06:56:39 am »

So far I have two bugs.

First regarding LCC (the same on Mac and Windows):

There are two folders were the LCC profiles reside.
First is: session folder/capture one/settings50 ("setting")
Second is: ~/library/application support/capture one/lcc profiles ("profile")

The "profiles" show up in the pulldown menu of the LCC tool in C1. These profiles are working well all the time.
Now if I create a lot of LCC files I delete some of the "profiles" after some time as the list otherwise is simply getting much to long.
In addition C1 caches the profiles so it slows C1 down when there are too much LCC profiles.
Once I need an LCC profile I've already deleted in the "profiles" folder I can restore it form the "settings" folder of the respective session.
This is what "import" in the LCC tool is for I think - at least with V4 this was the way I was able to restore LCC files.
But in V5 when I select "import" a message shows up: "No Profiles were imported".

Second regarding Exposure Evaluation (only on Mac; on Windows it is working):

Exposure Evaluation shows the histogram of the capture corrected by the input (camera) profile and the filmcurve.
Any other adjustments are not reflected in the Exposure Evaluation - only in the histogram (which is output referred).
On V5 it is working only half way.... adjustments of "exposure", "contrast" or whatever are not reflected in the eposure evaluation first.
But once I select the exposure tool tab (the one with levels and curves) the exposure evaluation changes!
Not after any adjustment in the levels or curves - just by selecting the exposure tool tab.
(This only applies to the exposure tab - it does not happen with e.g. the color editor tool tab).
So there is something wrong - exposure evaluation should not be affected by image adjustments (other than input profile and filmcurve) and less than ever just by selecting the exposure tool tab.

Anyone else discovered the same?

Other than that I don't get what is so hard about coding shortcuts for zoom in/out.
On Windows you can set shortcuts for zooming; on Mac there are still only commands for "to fit", 100%, 200% and 400%.
Cumbersome...

Besides I really like the new tools.
Scrolling through thumnails is much faster now... similar to V3 finally.
As to the focus mask this would be an awesome feature for the firmware on the digiback. As far as I checked it it's really accurate and as you can set the sensitivity of the mask in the preferences that would be great for checking focus on the LCD in the field.

FlashDB

« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2009, 10:16:29 am »

Quote from: Christopher
What is so odd ? I would never use a new program on a important workstation. It's the same as I would not upgrade a system, or firmware just after it came out, if I need it to earn my money.

I for sure know what you mean Christopher.
Steve certainly scared me so much that I will not use it (seriously) the next couple of weeks  

/David

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2009, 01:30:21 pm »

Steve certainly scared me so much that I will not use it (seriously) the next couple of weeks  

/David

Good!!

But do play with it.

Steve Hendrix
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2009, 06:51:50 pm »

/David

There is nothing surprising here. For a workstation (emphasis on the "getting work done" rather than playing/learning) I wouldn't use OSX, Windows, Office, Firefox, Photoshop, LightRoom, Capture One, or any other mission-critical application immediately after release.

We can all moan and complain that the software should always be perfect, but that's not reality from any software company and if you've ever done programming (which was my job for several years) you'd understand why.

I've been playing with C1 5 since the first beta and the 5.0 public release is a good release, but it has bugs and if you're goal is simply to get work done (rather than learn/play) than give it a couple weeks.

Doug Peterson
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 06:53:35 pm by dougpetersonci »

R_Medvid

• http://kadru.net
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2009, 07:56:37 pm »

Generally 5.0 is a great progress.

1. Focus Mask is super. Look how precisely it highlighted the sharp area shot with SuperRotator 45mm when I tilted it to the maximum.
[attachment=17609:Focus_Mask_TILT.jpg]

However highlighted sky makes me wondering......  

Focus Tool is also very handy.

2. Live Preview does work with my P30+ )))
The update rate is 1.2 FPS so it is not extremely fast in reflecting slight focusing adjustments, yet it's better than its absence.

BUT my favorite bug remains......
The color tagged pictures, when sorted in together, are listed in an unknown order, or disorder, rather than being ordered by name within the group:
[attachment=17610:Color_Tag_DISORDER.jpg]
I wrote about the bug here in April, I compiled a case to PO Support Department and was notified about the intention to fix it, but voila...

Also I was reading the 5.0 Manual but never understood the new Skin Tone tool. It says about a "homogenity slider" or something  

During the day my Windows trial CO 5.0 crashed 3 times, but I still like the progress it has done )
Roman Medvid
Mamiya AFD / P40+
http://kadru.net

Jann Lipka

• http://www.lipka.se
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2009, 03:21:34 am »

I agree Focus mask being a revolutionary feature . that will get followers ...
really good  idea .
I got some seldom crash , still not so bad for just released software.
Anyone tried new skin tool ?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 03:23:03 am by Jann Lipka »

ziocan

« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2009, 04:39:26 am »

Quote from: Jann Lipka
I got some seldom crash , still not so bad for just released software.
As reliable as a Beta version.

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2009, 10:58:06 am »

Quote from: John-S
I guess software standards have changed. Last time I checked if someone pays $400 for a software package, I think the user would expect not having constant crashes and missing or "turned off" features. I don't know what Phase is thinking when putting out software that should be beta and not an actual paid product. I guess when you sell $30-40K equipment, perspective on money doesn't mean the same thing.

I don't know if money perspective is the issue (remember, the vast majority of Capture One users pay Phase One $399 to Phase One, not $40,000). Or that there's an issue at all.

Software in general has a track record of instability and features not working as stated, particularly with new releases. Just check www.versiontracker.com, look at any new release feedback and for just about all programs, there are issues. It is simply impossible for Phase One or any company to reproduce all the variables that a computer system will throw at the software code to see how it will react. On the contrary, I think they do a pretty good job (in general) considering how different the hardware/software configurations are for all of our various desktops/laptops. If they really eliminated every possible variable that might cause disruption, it would never get released. When they release, they have come to a point where they feel they have exhausted their ability - which is limited by their environment - in assessing and eliminating any negative characters in the code.

One of the positives that came out of the extended development time going from C1 V3 to C1 V4 is that the code was completely re-written from the ground up, and the result of this is that any adjustments that need to be made can be accomplished in days or weeks, rather than months.

Steve Hendrix
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

bcooter

« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2009, 01:57:17 pm »

Quote from: Steve Hendrix
Software in general has a track record of instability and features not working as stated, particularly with new releases.
Steve Hendrix

I don't know if that's 100% true cause I've never had an issue with the release version of lightroom and I've run 1 and 2 on every machine imaginable.

I think Adobe is smart putting new versions of lightroom as a free beta.  Then the people who want to play with it can and give feedback, so when the customer finally plops down their money, it's pretty much bug free.

That's the Adobe way, then the Phase way is to put it out, charge a fee and wait for customer feedback (beta test).

As gwtif says, Phase needs to go at least one year without receiving the Larry David Award.

Maybe the free beta test is a first step.

BC

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2009, 03:18:46 pm »

Quote from: bcooter
I don't know if that's 100% true cause I've never had an issue with the release version of lightroom and I've run 1 and 2 on every machine imaginable.

I think Adobe is smart putting new versions of lightroom as a free beta.  Then the people who want to play with it can and give feedback, so when the customer finally plops down their money, it's pretty much bug free.

That's the Adobe way, then the Phase way is to put it out, charge a fee and wait for customer feedback (beta test).

As gwtif says, Phase needs to go at least one year without receiving the Larry David Award.

I'm glad you had zero problems with LR but that's not representative of the entire user-base of LightRoom. LightRoom has had many bugs (especially in v1.0 and early in v2 - as you would expect); there was even a pretty bad bug in a release which had to be rolled back and reissued. Don't get me wrong, overall it's been very stable, but your lack of problems doesn't mean that there weren't plenty of them. As one very small example many medium format DNG files were rendered with hot-pink highlights for several version in a row during the v1 days..

That said Adobe is by far the best company I've experienced when it comes to minimal numbers of bugs. I can count on one hand the number of times Photoshop has crashed on me this year. However, Apple, Microsoft and everyone else in the software world regularly releases (paid and often very expensive) software packages with glaring omissions and very bad bugs.

Overall I've been very pleased by the relatively small number of bugs in version 5.0.

Quote from: bcooter

There were a relatively large number of users invited to be beta testers of Capture One 5 which had five beta releases.

Moreover any user can download a 30-day fully-functional free trial of Capture One 5 (as there has been on every version of Capture One). If you purchase anything which has a fully functional free trial which requires LESS effort... well, in any case any user is welcome to download and make sure it suits his/her needs before plopping down the cash for it. If it helps I'm sure we can get one of the famous "stickers" and place the word "beta" on your monitor next to the download for the free trial.

Doug Peterson
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 03:23:11 pm by dougpetersonci »

R_Medvid

• http://kadru.net
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2009, 04:48:52 pm »

Quote from: dougpetersonci
....If it helps I'm sure we can get one of the famous "stickers" and place the word "beta" on your monitor next to the download for the free trial.

Doug Peterson

Doug, with all due respect to you, I don't see your point. Of course it will not help the user having or not having BETA sticker.

I guess it's the discussion of how well PO present their software (and themselves) to the public. If you admit that PO could easily tag this release as BETA, then it is quite embarrasing IMHO.

Roman Medvid
Mamiya AFD / P40+
http://kadru.net
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up