Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Favourite Nielesen Profile?  (Read 2120 times)

Peter McLennan

Favourite Nielesen Profile?
« on: October 28, 2009, 12:09:02 am »

I need to frame about 25 prints with frame sizes in the 20"-36" size area and I'm looking for input on framing moulding.  I'll probably go with a Nielsen matte black but I'm open to suggestions.  Anyone have a fave Nielsen profile?

framah

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 10:10:41 am »

Nielsen #15 profile is the best as it gives you more room for things like double mats and such and still have room for the spring clips to hold everything in place.

The #11 profile is not deep enough.  

#15 is my shop standard and I currently have about 300 ft in stock.

You can get an equivalent profile that is, visually, the same as Nielsen #15 but is cheaper.   I think the thicknessof the aluminum is a tiny bit thinner so it is cheaper but works fine.
Where are you located? I could give you idea of where to buy the stuff.

Of course, I could also chop what you need and ship it to you for a good price.  

If so, email me and we'll talk.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

ckimmerle

• http://www.chuckkimmerle.com
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 09:46:21 am »

My 20" exhibition prints are single matted (4-ply) and t-hinged to archival foam core board with a 1/4" reveal and 3" mat. The frames are 26-1/2" on the long side.

For me, the #11 profile (matte black) works best both in terms of the rabbet size and overall frame depth. Also, I prefer the flat top frames.  It does get a bit tight with the spring clips, though, so I have to open them up a bit before installing.

Since your frames are larger (or you're double matting) , the #15 frames may be a better choice as they're almost 1/4" deeper and might look a bit better.

"The real voyage of discove

bellimages

• http://www.bellimages.com
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 12:44:44 pm »

Quote from: framah
Nielsen #15 profile is the best as it gives you more room for things like double mats and such and still have room for the spring clips to hold everything in place.

The #11 profile is not deep enough.  

#15 is my shop standard and I currently have about 300 ft in stock.

You can get an equivalent profile that is, visually, the same as Nielsen #15 but is cheaper.   I think the thicknessof the aluminum is a tiny bit thinner so it is cheaper but works fine.
Where are you located? I could give you idea of where to buy the stuff.

Of course, I could also chop what you need and ship it to you for a good price.  

If so, email me and we'll talk.

I am learning that I can save SOOOOO much money by cutting frames myself. Unfortunately it's so easy to order them to size. But I'm willing to take the plunge if I know what type gear I would need to purchase to cut Nielsen stock. Hit me up and educate me
Jan Bell, Owner/Photographer, Bell Image
Pages: [1]   Go Up