Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Two Stitch Fashion Portrait  (Read 4777 times)

ryanstrong

Two Stitch Fashion Portrait
« on: October 26, 2009, 02:57:46 am »

As the title indicates this photo is two photos stitched together. FORD model, hair and make-up by Wilhelmina artist.

Ed Blagden

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 02:20:35 am »

That is a very nice and well lit shot.  Out of curiosity though, why did you go to the trouble of doing a stitch for a subject like this?

ryanstrong

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 10:42:11 am »

Thanks. For fun? Maybe a challenge. I don't know, just building up my portfolio. I really wanted a close up of the model but I also enjoyed the scenery so by stitching I was able to enjoy both! Thanks.

deeyas

• http://www.sayeedmahmood.com
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 11:02:37 am »

Ryan,

I like your work; some pretty neat portraits on the site! Seems like you've kept the Strobist torch burnin'! Also like the way you've used Pictobrowser on your site.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 11:07:58 am by deeyas »

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 11:10:27 am »

Is this a stitch in the sense of two adjacent photographs glued together? Or did you merge a studio photo with the model to an outdoor photo with the background? Thanks.

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 01:57:23 pm »

Ryan

I don't know if it's a problem at my end or yours, but it takes forever for the images to load.

I do have ADSL and I do a lot of browsing, so the problem is unusual enough, in my viewing experience, to warrant me mentioning it to you.

Best wishes

Rob C

ryanstrong

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 05:56:50 pm »

Quote from: EduPerez
Is this a stitch in the sense of two adjacent photographs glued together? Or did you merge a studio photo with the model to an outdoor photo with the background? Thanks.

Two adjacent photographs glued together. This was shot on location.

Quote from: Rob C
Ryan

I don't know if it's a problem at my end or yours, but it takes forever for the images to load.

I do have ADSL and I do a lot of browsing, so the problem is unusual enough, in my viewing experience, to warrant me mentioning it to you.

Best wishes

Rob C

I haven't experienced this problem. It might of been Flickr's servers during your visit to my site as all my photographs are hosted there.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 06:01:04 pm by ryanstrong »

ryanstrong

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 06:05:17 pm »

Quote from: deeyas
Ryan,

I like your work; some pretty neat portraits on the site! Seems like you've kept the Strobist torch burnin'! Also like the way you've used Pictobrowser on your site.

Thank you, yes the Pictobrowser came in handy for an avid Flickr person that I am. I enjoy sharing my 'strobist' information because I remember learning about lighting and struggling to figure out how other photographers lit their photograph. Hopefully that information helps someone!

See my Flickr photostream here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanstrong

John R

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 07:19:58 pm »

Very nice environmental portrait- that's my favourite kind of portrait. The colours are are well balanced

JMR

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 03:56:48 am »

Quote from: Rob C
Ryan

Best wishes

Rob C

I see that the pictures are hosted at Flickr, and that site has been very slow during the last days, at least from here.

ryanstrong

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2009, 10:54:45 am »

Quote from: John R
Very nice environmental portrait- that's my favourite kind of portrait. The colours are are well balanced

Thanks... yeah I was really happy with how the leaves and the sun warmed up the pic.

Quote from: EduPerez
I see that the pictures are hosted at Flickr, and that site has been very slow during the last days, at least from here.

Yeah its def a Flickr thing.

popnfresh

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2009, 07:16:32 pm »

She's gorgeous. But she's lit is so differently than the background it makes her look like she's sitting in front of a projected image. And why is she sitting behind a pile of kindling?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 07:21:00 pm by popnfresh »

John R

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2009, 08:29:19 pm »

Quote from: popnfresh
She's gorgeous. But she's lit is so differently than the background it makes her look like she's sitting in front of a projected image. And why is she sitting behind a pile of kindling?
It looks obvious to me, she is an outdoors girl.

JMR

ryanstrong

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2009, 09:24:39 pm »

Quote from: popnfresh
But she's lit is so differently than the background it makes her look like she's sitting in front of a projected image.

How would you have lit this scene?

Quote from: John R
It looks obvious to me, she is an outdoors girl.

That she is

geotzo

• http://www.georgetzortzis.com
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2009, 05:00:39 am »

I really like the lighting and the atmosphaire which looks very theatrical in a nice way. The aspect ratio is also interesting and I wish I could see some fashion magazines  coming out in that format.

ryanstrong

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2009, 10:35:20 am »

Quote from: geotzo
The aspect ratio is also interesting and I wish I could see some fashion magazines  coming out in that format.

That would be very interesting. Thanks everyone for the compliments.

popnfresh

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2009, 01:08:00 pm »

Quote from: ryanstrong
I wouldn't have. But then, I'm a landscape photographer.

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2009, 01:22:14 pm »

I think they key/fill lighting is fine - well balanced with the ambient lighting, and it nicely models the face. IMHO it's the rim/back lighting that doesn't quite fit the scene. Since the scene itself is in overcast light, the rim-lighting looks a little artificial, and provides too much separation from the background.

It's a nice shot overall, though.
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

ryanstrong

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2009, 01:25:47 pm »

Quote from: JeffKohn
IMHO it's the rim/back lighting that doesn't quite fit the scene. Since the scene itself is in overcast light, the rim-lighting looks a little artificial, and provides too much separation from the background.

That's the sun doing the rim. The sun was setting and wasn't entirely overcast, kind of spotty in places. There was only one strobe used, a beauty dish camera right and up high.

CaptainHook

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2009, 05:04:26 am »

Practicing your stitching aye Ryan? Hehe.
Pages: [1]   Go Up