Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: nec 2690 wuxi2 black level  (Read 3885 times)

dealy663

nec 2690 wuxi2 black level
« on: October 25, 2009, 01:28:29 am »

Ok, after finally getting my monitor calibrated (with Spectraview II) I went over to look at a chart that shows black gradations from level 1 to 63. http://www.piezography.com/PiezoPress/  well with the new calibration I can see only down to around level 11! Sitting next to my expensive 2690 is a cheap old Samsung 172N that was calibrated with the i1 Display 2 and Eye One Match software and on which I can see down to level 1.

Both monitors are calibrated to G Gamma 2.2, 110 cd/m2 and D65. I viewed the test chart with Firefox 3.5 which is supposed to be color managed. So I'm wondering if I've somehow selected some incorrect setting in SpectraView or if there is something wrong with my monitor. Maybe viewing this chart isn't a valid way to determine if I'm getting adequate shadow detail out of my monitor.

I dunno, any thoughts? What would account for the 2690 being so blocked up in the shadows?

Oh and SpectraView II is still crashing sometimes when I start it. I don't know what that is about either.
Derek
[url=http://www.grandprixsw.com/Wo

walter.sk

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 09:04:02 am »

Quote from: dealy663
Ok, after finally getting my monitor calibrated (with Spectraview II) I went over to look at a chart that shows black gradations from level 1 to 63. http://www.piezography.com/PiezoPress/  well with the new calibration I can see only down to around level 11! Sitting next to my expensive 2690 is a cheap old Samsung 172N that was calibrated with the i1 Display 2 and Eye One Match software and on which I can see down to level 1.

Both monitors are calibrated to G Gamma 2.2, 110 cd/m2 and D65. I viewed the test chart with Firefox 3.5 which is supposed to be color managed. So I'm wondering if I've somehow selected some incorrect setting in SpectraView or if there is something wrong with my monitor. Maybe viewing this chart isn't a valid way to determine if I'm getting adequate shadow detail out of my monitor.

I dunno, any thoughts? What would account for the 2690 being so blocked up in the shadows?

Oh and SpectraView II is still crashing sometimes when I start it. I don't know what that is about either.
I don't know what your viewing situation is, but the following thoughts came to me:

1) Make sure that you have no profile loader besides SpectraViewII active on your computer.
2) In the SpectraView software make sure you have Best Grayscale Color Tracking selected, which cuts down on the over-all contrast.
3) Make sure your monitor is shielded from direct light sources.
4) Adjusting your room lighting may enable you to see more levels at the low end.
5) What is your calibrated  black level?  Mine varies from about 49 to 53 cd/m2 after calibration and profiling.  I also keep turned on the NEC's device for making the illumination even across the display, which cuts down on the contrast somewhat.

Finally, your setting of 110 cd/m2 for luminance is on the low side for your monitor.  I have my NEC 3090 set at 120 cd/m2, which I understand is the lowest limit beyond which accuracy of profiling suffers.  I'm not exactly clear on the reason, but it has to do with the cutoff point at which the fluorescent tubes
cease being lit.  NEC recommends 140 cd/m2 for photo editing, but in my situation that was too bright.

I clicked on your link for the chart and was able to view down to 5 on my display.  However, with the whites in my Firefox screen and the horrible bright green surrounding the black-level chart, I am positive that my ability to see the lowest black levels was impaired.  Try downloading the chart or making your own, and viewing it full-screen with no white or colors in the background.  Also try with no room illumination, as that may be interfering with your low-level response.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 09:13:15 am by walter.sk »

WillH

• http://www.necdisplay.com
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 12:36:03 pm »

Quote from: dealy663

Keep in mind that if you are using dual displays, Firefox will only use the display profile for the primary display. So colors on the second display will not be correct anyway.

The best way to evaluate the results of the display calibration is to use the Test Patterns built into SpectraView. Patterns 15, 16, 17 and 18 are your best bets for evaluating the levels. If you evaluate from within FF or another app you are adding color management, color profiles, conversions etc into the mix.

If you continue to experience the crashing issue, please submit feedback on the NEC SpectraView feedback page.

Will Hollingworth
Senior Manager, Product Development
NEC Display Solutions of America, Inc.

dealy663

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 10:08:30 pm »

Well I recalibrated to 120cd/m2 and it didn't really make much difference.

Viewing the SpectraView Black Quality Control, I can barely make out Qualit (can't see the Y) and can't see control at all, unless I turn off all the lights in my room, then I can just barely make out the beginning of control.

Turning the lights off in my room also exposed some kinda ugly light bleeding in the lower left and right hand corners of my monitor. I never noticed this under normal circumstances.

I dunno, I'm a little disappointed now that I've looked at this monitor under extreme conditions. The black level should be better than this, the light bleeding is also a bit of a concern. Up 'till now I've been very happy with the monitor, it makes the images look great. But I haven't yet done any serious printing or color managed workflow since I got it. I do a fair amount of B/W so the shadows blocking up is worrisome.

I guess I'll try recalibrating at 140 (which seems really bright to me).

Derek

dealy663

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 10:09:21 pm »

Quote from: WillH
If you continue to experience the crashing issue, please submit feedback on the NEC SpectraView feedback page.

Please provide a link to the Spectra View feedback page.
Derek
Pages: [1]   Go Up