Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: First impressions welcome  (Read 2567 times)

Patricia Sheley

First impressions welcome
« on: October 24, 2009, 11:44:16 pm »

Thanks for your time... Pat
A common woman~

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 04:08:23 am »

Quote from: psheleyimages

Thanks for your time... Pat
I like it. The colour of the tree contrasts nicely with the monochromatic, threatening clouds. The small area of pale blue in the sky a little to the left spoils the effect a little, but that's nitpicking.

Jeremy

AndrewKulin

• http://www.andrewkulin.com
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 09:56:23 am »

Quote from: kikashi
I like it. The colour of the tree contrasts nicely with the monochromatic, threatening clouds. The small area of pale blue in the sky a little to the left spoils the effect a little, but that's nitpicking.

Jeremy

Could that light blue area (just left of centre) in the clouds be some sort of blown out area?  It just does not match up with the other patches of sky that can be seen which are a much darker shade.

Andrew
[size=12p

LoisWakeman

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 12:04:19 pm »

Hi Pat, this is very atmospheric and topical (at least north of the equator) - but I find the composition curiously unsatisfying. I think it is the clean-cut line across most of the horizon, which means that the two halves of the image are not really tied together. There is good contrast in texture, colour and luminance between the two elements, but no counterbalancing visual harmony. Sorry I can't articulate it better than that.

alainbriot

• http://www.beautiful-landscape.com
    • http://www.beautiful-landscape.com
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 12:37:07 pm »

Not a bad image but a lot of technical issues.  I fixed as many of the problems as I could (color balance, contrast, etc.):

Alain
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 12:37:55 pm by alainbriot »
Alain Briot
Author of Mastering Landscape Photography
http://www.beautiful-landscape.com

jasonrandolph

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterpunk
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 05:34:25 pm »

To me the composition feels very static.  There is very little tension in the strong horizontal lines.  Perhaps including some foreground in front of the trees would help.  Also, it seems like the sky has been processed much more than the trees, which look more natural and pleasing to the eye.  Maybe try bumping up the contrast in the sky.  Overall, this one just doesn't feel harmonious to me.

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 12:40:36 pm »

Thank yo for taking the time to put additional sets of eyes on this for me...I photographed this sky above drumlin ridge over a five hour period. It was a very unusual coming together of three distinct storms in between and behind two three mile north south running glacial drumlins. I sat on a platform in a tree trying for the sky.  

The far distance in the clouds never lost it's luminance  and celestial blue...informed by the incredibly brilliant weather to the east over Atlantic. Small pocket storms kept feeding in from the south between the two drumlins along with periods of ground fog that at times concealed everything except the canopies...

This shot was as the sun fell low behind me to the west and broke through insanely illuminating that maple line...it caught me by surprise and I too have been struggling with the curious disconnect...I regret that I was unable to find another safe place to shoot from...

I'll post a few of the weather confluences from that shoot when I get back to my HD's so that you can see why these have stumped me. Having had the benefit of your reactions I may instead of dumping this shoot attempt overlaying some creatively to address this from a completely different direction.

...and an aside additionally to Alain...I viewed your adjustments on two different calibrated monitors and on both the result is that your WB adj has added a magenta red cast which here in this glacial forested portion of New England very rarely occurs...when I looked at your website I can see that it would indeed be natural to your location informed by the earth masses informing the colorcast of a good deal of your work. When I travel to northern Maine and shoot in among the coastal rock, granite and cliffs, I get that beautiful light as dawn is rising. If you will notice the granite stone wall running along the base of those maples you will see that the eerie yellow light that hit just the foerground really messed up the sky if wb'd from that area...the truest portion of the image wb'd correctly for the actual event in the left third of the sky...I may well have softend the disconnect had I selected the yellow cast tree portion of the image and falsely corrected for hue and then wb...will make a good experiment...I think I'll hand on to this folder of files for awhile longer given the input from other's eyes..

Thanks to all who took the time... Pat
A common woman~

John R

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 07:14:18 pm »

I like the shot. But I do feel the shadow areas diminish your otherwise excellent shot. I have many shots like this, and it only works when the shadows are strategically located and are part of the overall balance. I feel the shadows are overwhelming and large. Probably can't be avoided.

JMR

John R

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 07:15:16 pm »

Sorry, double post.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 07:15:46 pm by John R »

popnfresh

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 07:31:32 pm »

That particular sky over those particular trees looks surreal, which can be a good thing if you're going for surrealism. But I don't think you were. As it is, I think you have two radically different subjects competing within the same photograph. They're just sitting one on top of the other, like oil on water. There's no organic whole happening here.

But I will say that it's still a very interesting shot even if it doesn't quite work for me. This is the kind of scene that I think one needs to revisit several times in order to capture it at the decisive moment. I'd probably also go in a little closer on the trees instead of having them recessed so far in the background.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 07:38:15 pm by popnfresh »
Pages: [1]   Go Up