Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEC Spectraview on Windows 7  (Read 13760 times)

dealy663

NEC Spectraview on Windows 7
« on: October 24, 2009, 09:39:27 pm »

Has anyone been able to get SpectraView to run on a Windows 7 machine???

I just built up a new computer and am running Win 7 64 bit. My monitor is a NEC 2690wuxi2, and I'm using an i1 Display 2 calibrator, and an eVGA 9500 GT (nVidia) graphics card. Whenever I start SpectraView (yes I'm using the latest version) Windows 7 reports that it has stopped responding.

Any suggestions?

Derek
Derek
[url=http://www.grandprixsw.com/Wo

dealy663

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 10:00:03 pm »

Nevermind. It started working once I rebooted my machine.

It's been so long since I've had to do that after installing software it took a while for it to occur to try that.

Derek

Dennishh

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 10:52:21 am »

I just installed SpectraView_1.1.01 in Windows 7 64 and works just fine. This is a new version you can get on their site.

Arlen

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 02:04:16 pm »

I'm seeing a similar problem with Spectraview II v. 1.1.03 (the latest version according to the NEC website) and Windows 7 64-bit that was just installed 3 days ago. It's sporadic though. Here's what I've observed so far. When Windows starts and gets to the login screen, if I wait a bit and don't log in right away, then when I do log in the SV gamma loader seems to run OK. But if instead I log in immediately after the login screen pops up, then during the SV gamma loader's operation the screen goes black and the computer gives a 2-beep error signal. Sometimes it recovers and reverts to the desktop. Other times the screen remains black and unresponsive, and a hard reset is necessary.

As a temporary fix, I removed the SV gamma loader from the Startup folder, so it doesn't run at startup. If I run it manually after startup, it operates normally. So it seems there is some sort of conflict of the SV gamma loader with other startup routines that are not yet finished if you log in too quickly. That's my tentative conclusion, anyway. I would love to hear opinions from some of the more computer-savvy members.

There's a report on DPReview of the same problem, so a number of us are experiencing this.

For the record:  Asus P7P55D motherboard, Intel i5-750 CPU, EVGA 9800 GTX+ graphics card, NEC LCD2690wuxi monitor, Spectraview II v. 1.1.03, i1 Display 2 colorimeter.

dealy663

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 06:19:36 pm »

I'm also running Spectraview II v. 1.1.03, and yes the problem is still occasionally recurring even after restarting the computer. Though in my case it hasn't yet happened at startup, only when I launch SpectraView myself.

Derek

Arlen

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 06:32:58 pm »

Well, that's interesting. It may mean that my theory about conflicting with startup routines is off base. I'll keep an eye out to see if it ever happens to me at times other than during Windows startup.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 07:18:05 pm »

Quote from: dealy663
I'm also running Spectraview II v. 1.1.03, and yes the problem is still occasionally recurring even after restarting the computer. Though in my case it hasn't yet happened at startup, only when I launch SpectraView myself.
I profiled my monitor just before I updated to Windows 7.    The LUT check seems to work each time I start the computer and I've opened Spectraview a couple of times and it seems to be working OK.  Will calibrate again in two weeks.  I'm running the 32 bit version of Win 7 so maybe the problem with with the 64 bit version.

dealy663

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 12:23:49 pm »

Quote from: Arlen
Well, that's interesting. It may mean that my theory about conflicting with startup routines is off base. I'll keep an eye out to see if it ever happens to me at times other than during Windows startup.

Well I guess you've jinxed me. Cause late last night after a restart the screen went black during the SpectraView initialization. I couldn't do anything to get it back except hit the computer's reset button.

This software is definitely not ready for primetime on Win7 64.
Derek

Arlen

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 02:23:34 pm »

Quote from: dealy663
Well I guess you've jinxed me

Sorry about that. Did you remember to knock on wood after reading it?  

Arlen

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 06:11:41 pm »

I made another stab at resolving the problem, but to no avail. I noticed in Device Manager that my monitor was using a Microsoft generic driver, so I downloaded the Monitor Installer driver tool from NEC, and installed the specific driver for the LCD2690. I then rebooted, but still had the "black screen" problem upon loading the Spectraview II gamma loader at startup, just like before.

Next I uninstalled the SV software, and then reinstalled it, making sure that the correct drivers were assigned for the monitor and the i1 Display 2 colorimeter. Then I recalibrated the monitor, generating a new profile. Restarted the computer, and...got the same black screen result. I'm still seeing the same behavior as before. The problem only occurs with the "Spectraview II gamma loader", and only if it runs at startup. Running the gamma loader later, or running the SV2 software itself, is causing no problem for me.

Following the suggestion in another thread by NEC's Will Hollingworth, I went to the SV2 feedback page and described the problem. I think it would be a good idea if others experiencing a similar problem do the same, as then NEC will know it's not an isolated occurrence and needs to be checked out. You can get to the SV2 feedback page by clicking here.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 09:05:12 am »

I just recalibrated my p221 last evening to see if I would have a problem under Windows 7.  It profiled fine, no glitches here.  However, as I posted above I'm running the 32 bit version so maybe the problem is only with the 64 bit.

Arlen

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2009, 06:14:05 pm »

After I gave my feedback on this issue at the NEC Spectraview web page, Will Hollingworth quickly contacted me and has been working with me to solve this issue. I won't bore you with all the details unless requested, but Will has now duplicated my problem--screen black-out during startup when the SV Gamma Loader is active--on one of his machines. We've determined that the blackout is not a system crash, but rather the video card stops sending a signal to the monitor. It can be restored by unplugging the video cable from the monitor, and then plugging it back in again. Or, the computer can be shut down properly (rather than pushing the Reset button) by the keystrokes CTRL-ALT-DEL, TAB key 3 times, and then ENTER.

Everything seems to point to a conflict between the EVGA video card's NVIDIA driver startup routine and the SV Gamma Loader running at startup. If you take a look at the EVGA and NVIDIA user forums, you will see a firestorm of complaints about serious issues with the latest NVIDIA 64-bit drivers for Windows 7 (and Vista), the 191.07 release (which I am using). So that's most likely where the problem lies. For the moment, I've disabled the SV Gamma Loader on the Startup tab of System Configuration in Win7. I'm hoping that a new release of the NVIDIA driver will be coming soon to address the problems.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 06:18:58 pm by Arlen »

hilljf

• http://photos.johnfhill.com
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2009, 10:29:36 am »

There is clearly a bug in the NEC Spectraview software.   ON my dual monitor machine, the Nec software causes a black out of one of the monitors.   opening the Nvidia control panel restores the signal to the blacked out monitor.  Inconvenient but a workaround.    

Hopefully NEC will fix the software shortly.

John

WillH

• http://www.necdisplay.com
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2009, 09:09:58 pm »

We are working with Nvidia on this issue. It is expected that a future driver update will fix this issue. For now the best solution appears to be to remove the SpectraView Gamma Loader from the Startup group. If the screen does go blank with "no signal" it can be rectified by disconnecting and reconnecting the video cable to the display.
Will Hollingworth
Senior Manager, Product Development
NEC Display Solutions of America, Inc.

Arlen

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2009, 04:35:33 pm »

I'm just adding a note here that the recently released NVIDIA graphics card driver update, build 195.62, did not solve my problem with the Spectraview Gamma Loader. I'm still working around it by not letting the Gamma Loader start at system startup. Not a big issue at this point, but just an annoyance. Maybe a future driver update will cure it.

hilljf

• http://photos.johnfhill.com
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2009, 08:02:14 pm »

Hi Will,
      Thanks for the comment.  Nvidia indeed did issue an update to their drivers.  However when your software loads it still creates rather undesirable results. Some times my second  monitor will black out.  Other times the primary driver will switch to the second display.   The work around is to load the Nvidia control panel and fix the settings which the NEC software screws up.   When is an updated relaease of Spectraview II going to be released which fixes the bugs in your companys software.  Please don't point the fingers elsewhere.

thanks, John

Arlen

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2010, 11:13:59 pm »

I'm adding another note here to say that the latest NVIDIA graphics card driver update, version 8.17.11.9621, driver date 1/11/2010, seems to have solved my problems with the Spectraview Gamma Loader. As far as I can tell, everything seems to be working fine now.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 11:14:29 pm by Arlen »

osmaneralp

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2010, 12:29:18 pm »

FWIW, I am experiencing the screen blanking problem, and I am using the Nvidia display driver version 8.17.11.9621. The video card is an 8800GT. --Osman
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 12:31:18 pm by osmaneralp »

Arlen

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2010, 12:43:43 pm »

Yes, I'm afraid I spoke too soon about the problem being fixed. With this version of the driver, the problem occurs less frequently for me; but I do see it on occasion. Not sure why it's sporadic.
Pages: [1]   Go Up