Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CANON 450D  (Read 2461 times)

GAULIRMORN

CANON 450D
« on: October 24, 2009, 05:34:08 am »

Hi all,

I posted this on a different thread earlier, but did not get any responses so I thought I'd ask seperately.

What do you guys think of the Canon 450D as an entry level for landscapes?

I have seen a bundle on ebay for the 450D with the following:

New! CANON EOS Rebel EOS 450D/XSi
12.2MP Digital Camera

*3 Lens* Deluxe Kit! ALL these items are included:
Canon Rebel XSi  Camera Body
CANON 18-55mm IS LENS,
Wide Angle Lens,  
2X Telephoto Lens,

UV Digital Filter
Digital Flash,
8GB SDHC,
*Extra* Li-ion Battery,
Professional Camera Bag
SD Card Reader,
Professional Tripod,
Lens Cleaning Kit,
Mini Travel Tripod,
LCD Screen Protector

All items are 100% Brand New !

At the moment there are several of these kits advertised on ebay, and all are priced at just under £500. While I suspect a lot of it will be junk (like the full sized tripod), I was wondering if you guys think it's a good deal for the kit supplied      ?
I hear that the kit lens is quite decent for a startup, but I would really appreciate your take on the additional lenses included with this kit...

Thanks again
Gaulirmorn

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
CANON 450D
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 08:47:07 am »

Quote from: GAULIRMORN
Hi all,

I posted this on a different thread earlier, but did not get any responses so I thought I'd ask seperately.

What do you guys think of the Canon 450D as an entry level for landscapes?

I have seen a bundle on ebay for the 450D with the following:

New! CANON EOS Rebel EOS 450D/XSi
12.2MP Digital Camera

*3 Lens* Deluxe Kit! ALL these items are included:
CANON 18-55mm IS LENS,
Wide Angle Lens,  
2X Telephoto Lens,

UV Digital Filter
Digital Flash,
8GB SDHC,
*Extra* Li-ion Battery,
Professional Camera Bag
SD Card Reader,
Professional Tripod,
Lens Cleaning Kit,
Mini Travel Tripod,
LCD Screen Protector

All items are 100% Brand New !

At the moment there are several of these kits advertised on ebay, and all are priced at just under £500. While I suspect a lot of it will be junk (like the full sized tripod), I was wondering if you guys think it's a good deal for the kit supplied      ?
I hear that the kit lens is quite decent for a startup, but I would really appreciate your take on the additional lenses included with this kit...

Thanks again
Gaulirmorn

I have 450D for (mainly) landscape and cityscape use, and it's great for entry-level due to it's price and good quality images. Small, light, reasonable megapixel count. It has all the controls most people will need, but is behind latest offerings in high-ISO performance and dynamic range.

I don't know about the lenses, but looking at the price of the kit they are probably awful. You should invest in the lenses, as you'll be using a good one if you ever upgrade to another camera. A bad one will just produce mushy results and frustrate you.

AndrewKulin

• http://www.andrewkulin.com
CANON 450D
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 10:30:25 am »

Quote from: feppe
I have 450D for (mainly) landscape and cityscape use, and it's great for entry-level due to it's price and good quality images. Small, light, reasonable megapixel count. It has all the controls most people will need, but is behind latest offerings in high-ISO performance and dynamic range.

Another thing to consider is to go to a store and actually hold the camera for fit and comfort.  I had the original Rebel 300D and it was fine for me.  Then came the 350D and so on and from those models on Canon made them smaller and I would never buy any of them for the simple reason they were too small for my hands.

Quote from: feppe
I don't know about the lenses, but looking at the price of the kit they are probably awful. You should invest in the lenses, as you'll be using a good one if you ever upgrade to another camera. A bad one will just produce mushy results and frustrate you.

The whole thing sounded somewhat suspect to me.  No one reputable (in my opinion) describes lenses they are trying to sell as simply "wide angle" and "2x telephoto" (2 times what??).  And you get all this plus a "Professional Tripod" for 500 lbs?  I am considering upgrading my tripod to carbon fibre and they seem to run in the $350-$600 range here in Canada and those are not the top end of the possible pricing.  

Sounds exactly like you get a camera plus an extra load garbage to me.  The clues that tell me this is a questionable deal?  

Two items specified here, by make and model, so by law you should be getting those in the transaction:
CANON 18-55mm IS LENS,

Everything else, very generic descriptions, can be anything, from anywhere:
Wide Angle Lens,  <-- which brand/version/model, what focal length, f-stops?
2X Telephoto Lens,
<-- ditto and so on
UV Digital Filter
Digital Flash,
8GB SDHC,
*Extra* Li-ion Battery,
Professional Camera Bag
SD Card Reader,
Professional Tripod,
Lens Cleaning Kit,
Mini Travel Tripod,
LCD Screen Protector
[size=12p

nstop

CANON 450D
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 08:24:14 pm »

The Rebel series cameras are very capable for an entry level cameras.  The main thing they lack is a lot of the ease of use functions.  (I used a 350D for several years before upgrading to a 40D.)  I agree with the other comments that all the unspecified lenses and accessories are likely to be of very little value and you shouldn't spend any extra money for them.  The 18-55 IS does have a reputation as an excellent value for a general purpose lens.

The Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 is a good low budget choice for landscapes.  It's very close in optical quality to the Canon 10-22 for a little more than half the price.  The build quality is also quite good.  I've owned one for 3 years and it's dramatically superior to my Canon 17-85 where there ranges overlap.

BB
Pages: [1]   Go Up