Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Leica S2 Images  (Read 49246 times)

gwhitf

Leica S2 Images
« Reply #120 on: October 27, 2009, 02:26:24 pm »

Quote from: gwhitf
here's a PDN story about a guy that shot it for a half hour.

http://tinyurl.com/yja98ab

And I thought I was a Control Freak.

I love how the woman in the studio set the shutter speed and fstop of the S2 for the guy, and then handed it to him, and then ran the Mac for him.

I can imagine the conversation: "Uh, can I test it wide open?"

Lady: "No, we prefer you shoot it at 5.6"

Guy: "Uh, but I like shooting wide open".

Lady: "We really prefer you shooting at 250th and 5.6 at only ASA 160. Zee files looks best this way".

Guy: "Uh, but what about ASA 800 or so?"

Lady: "We sinks ASA 160 looks very nice. Would you like to shoot another frame?"

Guy: "Uh, I'd like to shoot something with the modeling light only at ASA 800, and I'd like to look at the tethering software."

Lady: "Oops, sorry, your allotted half hour is up. But thank you for testing the new Leica S2".
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 02:28:44 pm by gwhitf »

TMARK

Leica S2 Images
« Reply #121 on: October 27, 2009, 02:38:05 pm »

Quote from: cyberean

All kidding aside, that is sexy.

gwhitf

Leica S2 Images
« Reply #122 on: October 27, 2009, 04:06:01 pm »

Quote from: TMARK

http://tinyurl.com/yh7784o

Target market.

gdwhalen

• http://www.gdwhalen.com
Leica S2 Images
« Reply #123 on: October 27, 2009, 06:26:45 pm »

BIG too.

Slough

Leica S2 Images
« Reply #124 on: October 27, 2009, 06:43:23 pm »

Do you ask your significant other to dress up in a camera costume as a prelude to an exciting night in? No, please don't answer that, I should not ask such a personal question. I fail to see how the camera can be 'sexy'. Maybe I need to stay in more.

cyberean

Leica S2 Images
« Reply #125 on: October 27, 2009, 07:03:23 pm »

sexy is as sexy does ...    

mtomalty

• http://www.marktomalty.com
Leica S2 Images
« Reply #126 on: October 27, 2009, 07:05:28 pm »

I fail to see how the camera can be 'sexy'. Maybe I need to stay in more.

Slough,
Checked out your link and now understand your perspective on 'sexy'   :>))

If this don't beat all

http://www.leifgoodwin.co.uk/Fungi/Mutinus%20caninus.html

Slough

Leica S2 Images
« Reply #127 on: October 27, 2009, 07:25:23 pm »

Quote from: mtomalty
Slough,
Checked out your link and now understand your perspective on 'sexy'   :>))

If this don't beat all

http://www.leifgoodwin.co.uk/Fungi/Mutinus%20caninus.html

Some people call it The Dog Willy fungus. The tip is red once the slime has been licked off by flies.

DanielStone

Leica S2 Images
« Reply #128 on: October 27, 2009, 07:33:02 pm »

why is it that in any beauty advert (at least in a big-enough print ad that is), the women NEVER have any visible hair on their face?

this S2 sample image of the girl, whoo-hoo-hairy-lip?!]

I'm blindly assuming that either the models shave their ENTIRE face, except for eyebrows, to minimize retouching on the face?

maybe its just in the single light source at the right angle theory for this shot

-Dan

TMARK

Leica S2 Images
« Reply #129 on: October 27, 2009, 09:03:48 pm »

No shaving.  Its post.  That's why the post budget on beauty is sometimes more than the production budget.

Before digital retouching was widespread no one would light a woman with a hard light at an oblique angle.  No way.  It was all big sources from over head, straight on.  Butterfly style.  Scitex changed all of that, and Pascal is rich rich rich because of the need for good retouching.

To keep it on topic, sort of, last time I saw Pascal an M8 fell out of his bag.  This was a few years ago.

Quote from: DanielStone
why is it that in any beauty advert (at least in a big-enough print ad that is), the women NEVER have any visible hair on their face?

this S2 sample image of the girl, whoo-hoo-hairy-lip?!]

I'm blindly assuming that either the models shave their ENTIRE face, except for eyebrows, to minimize retouching on the face?

maybe its just in the single light source at the right angle theory for this shot

-Dan

ziocan

Leica S2 Images
« Reply #130 on: October 28, 2009, 12:54:10 am »

What does anyone have to say about the S2?  It seems that no one, and I mean no one, has spent more than 1/2 an hour with it.  until there are units in hand, being shot by a civilian/non-industry affiliated person, there can only be speculation.  

What is known about the S2, mainly price and a data sheet, has been commented upon.  The marketing, which is a Known Known a la Don Rumsfeld, is fertile ground for humour.  Is it not?  In discussing a Canon 1ds3, you can comment about other options for your cash, such as a D3x.  With the S2, another option for the cash, for the intended market, is a Porsche.  So its not that off topic.  Besides, if the brick wall shooters and DC Raw Analyzer guys can have an 18 page thread about physics, I think the shooters can shoot the shit about marketing and make fun of the S2, as great as it probably is.
Beside, a "sexy" Porsche should always be an "in topic" for photographers.  

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Leica S2 Images
« Reply #131 on: October 28, 2009, 01:57:14 am »

Quote from: narikin
come on Edmund - this is a forum for digital cameras/ sensors larger than 35mm that much is obvious.
to say the S2 doesn't fit into that is silly, and you are smarter than that.

we need some moderation here to keep it on topic and useful.
the endless waffle, 'humor' and wildly off subject postings of this thread has tipped me over: I miss Rob Galbraith and his firm moderation of those forums that kept everything useful and on-topic.

Hehe, most of us here seem to be precisely RG refugees.
Personally, I think we are being very much on-topic and these postings about the S2 are very useful - Leica is being told in a funny way that existing MF shooters do not find the product specs and pricing appealing.
And so we're discussing whether existing MF shooters fit into the marketing profile of Leica at all - consensus seems to be moving to *no, this camera needs to find another audience*.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

PeterA

Leica S2 Images
« Reply #132 on: October 28, 2009, 10:11:26 am »

A black paint version with maybe a special chrome lens set would make me get really excited - bliss would be a crocodile skin covering...cant wait to see Luigi's leather case for it either - I do hope I get a Leica /S2 cap to go with my kit. I am thinking teh second ( back-up ) body has to be in anthracite or that new steel grey finish - one S2 for colour work and the other for B&W files. - wouldnt it be neat if they made a film version of the body - why not!! we need one and we want one. I am going to hot rod my s2 with a nice Alpa viewfinder sitting there on the flash mount (picture it ?)  - the retro touch would rock!!

BJL

Leica S2 Images
« Reply #133 on: October 28, 2009, 02:42:29 pm »

Quote from: eronald
... so we're discussing whether existing MF shooters fit into the marketing profile of Leica at all - consensus seems to be moving to *no, this camera needs to find another audience*.
And maybe Leica is aiming at another audience, never having been an MF company. Did "Seal" ever use MF? Maybe, the S SLR series is intended to succeed the R SLR series, and to bring back the sex appeal talk, it is positioned as "like a 35mm DSLR after silicone implants".

vgogolak

• http://
Leica S2 Images
« Reply #134 on: October 28, 2009, 05:01:51 pm »

Quote from: eronald
Hehe, most of us here seem to be precisely RG refugees.
Personally, I think we are being very much on-topic and these postings about the S2 are very useful - Leica is being told in a funny way that existing MF shooters do not find the product specs and pricing appealing.
And so we're discussing whether existing MF shooters fit into the marketing profile of Leica at all - consensus seems to be moving to *no, this camera needs to find another audience*.

Edmund

Dear Edmund

You polled them (THE mf SHOOTERS)? was it 60% against? 80%.
Sorry, but the minute MF shooters accepted a cropped sensor, all bets were off
somewhere between 6cmx6cm and 4x5 is where MF likely stops, and it begins where? Since 135 (and 127) format we know, I remember 620 etc. Likely would be MF

But size aside from my quick scan of several fora, MF shooters (incl here) accept that the S format is such a beast. if we want a 6x6 plus 645 forum, maybe lets say so.

My major problem with a lot of these discussions is that the postings have a "when did you stop beating your wife" feel. sort of "Why would Leica be so stupid as to spend their expertise on this size camera.

Well I can suggest one; it is a great compromise if you want MF detail and depth in a SEALED camera.

For that, it has no peer.

Victor

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Leica S2 Images
« Reply #135 on: October 28, 2009, 05:43:35 pm »

Quote from: vgogolak
Dear Edmund

somewhere between 6cmx6cm and 4x5 is where MF likely stops, and it begins where? Since 135 (and 127) format we know, I remember 620 etc. Likely would be MF

But size aside from my quick scan of several fora, MF shooters (incl here) accept that the S format is such a beast. if we want a 6x6 plus 645 forum, maybe lets say so.

My major problem with a lot of these discussions is that the postings have a "when did you stop beating your wife" feel. sort of "Why would Leica be so stupid as to spend their expertise on this size camera.

Well I can suggest one; it is a great compromise if you want MF detail and depth in a SEALED camera.

Victor

Victor - good points.
Please buy one and the tell us how it really is. We trust you. No joke.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

TMARK

Leica S2 Images
« Reply #136 on: October 28, 2009, 06:25:05 pm »

Quote from: vgogolak
Dear Edmund

Victor

Not peers because they are out of production:  Mamiya ZD, Sinar Hy6 65 with a fixed back.  And, to keep it cheap, the Pentax 645D, supposedly forthcoming.

Slough

Leica S2 Images
« Reply #137 on: October 28, 2009, 07:04:20 pm »

Despite the caustic opinions expressed here about the S2, Leica claim that the number of pre-orders exceeds expectations.

gwhitf

Leica S2 Images
« Reply #138 on: October 29, 2009, 11:04:05 am »

Quote from: Slough
Despite the caustic opinions expressed here about the S2, Leica claim that the number of pre-orders exceeds expectations.

Go and look at that file from that PDN article at full rez. Then, go and look at yourself in the mirror, and ask yourself, "if I didn't know that that file was from a Leica camera, would it blow me away?" You guys are suffering from Red Dot Hope-itis, and it's going to cost you a lot of money. It's a fine file, but it's just another digital file. It's not like it's some revolution, in the way that Velvia was, in the old days. It's just another digital file.

After you do that, go back to that same mirror, and say this sentence to yourself, three times without stopping: "Leica: Twenty-seven thousand; 5DMarkII: Twenty-seven hundred".

And if that doesn't work, then make up a sentence about the usable ASA's of the two cameras, and that should do the trick.

If you're still feeling shitty about yourself after all that, then go get a haircut, and maybe a pair of new shoes. There's no need to drop $35k to feel good about yourself. Or, go buy ten 5dMarkII's, and give nine of them away to young, hungry high school students, and feel good that you contributed to them expressing themselves.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 11:13:33 am by gwhitf »

ThierryH

Leica S2 Images
« Reply #139 on: October 29, 2009, 11:36:47 am »

Not peers because they are out of production:  ..., Sinar Hy6 65 with a fixed back ....
Dear TMARK,

I wish to correct this because (partly) wrong:

Admitted, the Hy6/AFi/Rolleiflex Hy6 are currently under production stop, but the Sinar Hy6 65 or Sinar Hy6 eSprit 65 r are still sold actively as from the beginning.

Best regards,
Thierry

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up