Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: India Fortunate as Sony’s Dumping Ground for A700?  (Read 4203 times)

ArunGaur

India Fortunate as Sony’s Dumping Ground for A700?
« on: October 22, 2009, 10:27:05 pm »

It is easy to note that A700 is still a very hot favorite for many keen and skilled professional and advanced amateurs photographers. There are many reportings of it gradually disappearing in a phased manner on many Sony Official Sites and from the manufacturing facilities. After that when I look at the official Indian Sony Site (Sony India), I find that the company is maintaining a steady campaigning--singing its virtues and doing its best to sell it here.
When I see it, I start thinking about the policy of Sony in India. Many nagging questions crop up:

(1)      Has India become a dumping ground for Sony for outdated or almost outdated SLR cameras?

(2)   Sony India is constantly dumping 18-70 kit lens with it. What a mis-match it is! When even the newer kit lens, which is claimed to be better than this lens, has become available, Sony is still forcing the buyers to buy 18-70 with A700.  Look at the Sony India Site today and you will find there these words:
“Capture the moment with today's most exciting DSLR. Shoot in razor-sharp detail with 12.24 megapixel clarity, quicker response and greater creativity. Included with the versatile SAL1870 all-purpose lens that's perfect for wide-angle scenes and indoor people-shots.
Standard Retail Price:
MRP Rs. 74,990 /-*”

And I don’t think that any skilled photographer would like to have either of the kit lenses with A700 which Sony is forcing on the Indian customers. Does it not amount to the dumping of the goods which are not desired elsewhere in the world?

(3 ) The feeling that Sony has made India a dumping a ground is enhanced considerably when we look at the price of camera at Rs. 74,990 with “versatile” 18-70. Convert the rupees into dollars and see for yourself whether the picture becomes any clearer. Does this practice not amount to coercion, mis-guiding and unethical business practice taking advantage of the current Indian scenario or rather exploiting the ignorance of the Indian buying public?

(4) Or in spite of all the criticism of Sony that I have made so far, should we think other way round? That there is a blessing in disguise! That while the world over the fans of A700 are lamenting the demise and disappearance of the camera India is the place and would perhaps remain the only place on the earth for many years to come where A700 would still be readily available. Lucky, fortunate Indian in that respect! Isn’t it like that?

(5) Hence the final question: Is India fortunate or unfortunate in having an ample, nay seemingly inexhaustible stock of A700?

Arun Gaur

Visit My Website

Jeremy Payne

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 11:02:06 pm »

Gimme a break ... they sell the camera and the kit lens in the US, too.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 02:15:16 am »

You might want to ask at Dpreview.com.  I believe their forum motto is "Dpreview.com: Home of the Insane Rant".  They should be able to help you out.

Seriously tho.  The camera is the current model, prices are not constant across the planet and everyone pushes kit lenses on you if they can.  If you think it isn't a good value don't buy it.

ArunGaur

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 03:50:57 am »

Quote from: DarkPenguin
You might want to ask at Dpreview.com.  I believe their forum motto is "Dpreview.com: Home of the Insane Rant".  They should be able to help you out.

Seriously tho.  The camera is the current model, prices are not constant across the planet and everyone pushes kit lenses on you if they can.  If you think it isn't a good value don't buy it.

I would certainly ask elsewhere also. Rest assured.

It is not simply a matter of prices.

There are many other important issues much larger than simple issues of prices. Even verging on the ethics.

Thanks for the response.

Arun Gaur

Visit My Website

ArunGaur

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 04:01:57 am »

Quote from: Jeremy Payne
Gimme a break ... they sell the camera and the kit lens in the US, too.

I am sure Jeremy they are sold as such in the US. However, can you say that you are forced to buy 18-70 with every purchase of A700? In my letter there are so many other aspects of the scenario that I have hinted on or dwelt upon a little more elaborately. I hope you will appreciate that.

Thanks for the response Jeremy.
Arun Gaur

Visit My Website

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 05:19:47 am »

Hello Arun. This is just mild paranoia. Go out and take some photos and relax.
I've looked at the Indian and New Zealand Sony web sites and the kindest thing I can find to say is that someone there in Sony in both countries should stay away from drugs. What am I to make of being offered the chance to win something called a "Billabong Pro Event"?  
And the cameras being offered on their site bear little relationship to what is carried in the shops.
The best price here for an A700 body is about what you pay for the body plus kit lens. Think of it like this: you are getting a free door stop.
Some really nice images on your web site.
David

Jeremy Payne

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 08:08:04 am »

Quote from: ArunGaur
In my letter there are so many other aspects of the scenario that I have hinted on or dwelt upon a little more elaborately. I hope you will appreciate that.

Please fill us in on all the other aspects of this scenario.

ArunGaur

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 01:01:43 pm »

Quote from: Taquin
Hello Arun. This is just mild paranoia. Go out and take some photos and relax.
I've looked at the Indian and New Zealand Sony web sites and the kindest thing I can find to say is that someone there in Sony in both countries should stay away from drugs. What am I to make of being offered the chance to win something called a "Billabong Pro Event"?  
And the cameras being offered on their site bear little relationship to what is carried in the shops.
The best price here for an A700 body is about what you pay for the body plus kit lens. Think of it like this: you are getting a free door stop.
Some really nice images on your web site.
David
Thanks David (Taquin).
Nice to hear from New Zealand.
It is a wonderful idea. I also believe in that. There is nothing better than to go and take nice shots with your trusted camera and lenses. Everything else, including debates, availability and non-availability of cameras, lenses and repulsive scenarios are quite secondary to taking of the photo images that one really likes to take.
Also thanks for encouraging me by liking some of the photos on my site. I am quite a novice in building up site and would try to learn and implement more. I would expand it gradually as I learn. However, at my age (I am past 50) the learning is slow.
Soon I am going to insert more pictures about British colonial graves in some small hill-town. I hope you would see them too. That would be within a day or two.
Greetings.

Arun Gaur

Visit My Website

ArunGaur

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 01:05:04 pm »

Quote from: Jeremy Payne
Please fill us in on all the other aspects of this scenario.

Jeremy, I would gladly do that when time permits me.
Thanks for asking for it.

Regards

Arun Gaur

Visit My Website

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2009, 05:44:04 pm »

Hello again Arun. I have had a good sleep and am ready for a rant.
People who have never worked in large corporations often don't realise that when an organisation becomes large enough to occupy a multi-floor building it effectively splits in two. The first group is competent and thoughtful in what they do and their efforts are nicely counter-balanced by the second group consisting of the deeply ignorant, the wildly incompetent,  the sex crazed and those whose brains are addled by drugs and alcohol. Here are some examples.
Canon. Wow. Some senior execs have been hitting the sake or spending their days chasing secretaries.
Pentax. Someone in management has a  knowledge of digital cameras summed up by their question “what colours shall we make it in?”
Acer. I have one of their laptops. It works really well. But the person responsible for their model range has been on lsd. When not dreaming up new models they spend their time under the desk hiding from the purple crocodiles living in the water-cooler.
Sony India. Someone had another business lunch that ended at 3 am in a bar and though it a good idea to “enhance” their marketing.
There are no unethical plots. Just massive corporate bungling and collective managerial arm-flailing. (Witness Adobe's international pricing structure). And any cover-ups are not to hide the deed but to hide the stupidity.

I once had a (short) job selling computers with a large international purveyor of business machines. They were into photocopiers and thought computers would be a money spinner. I was flown interstate for  a week long training consisting of pep talks by senior managers. Only once did I ever get to see this wondrous machine. It then became apparent that no-one knew how to turn it on. This arcane knowledge was possessed by a tech chap on the fourth floor. On arriving back I was given a desk and a phone book. No-one bothered to let me know the numbers to dial to get an outside line.
I like the way you handle colour and composition. Remember, we may be slower, but the only really interesting people are over 50.  
David

Edit: I look forward to seeing the new pictures
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 06:13:09 pm by Taquin »

coles

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2009, 06:20:06 pm »

The term "dumping ground" is probably best reserved for things like toxic waste or defective drugs or toys. It probably does not apply to the availability of a particular model of camera.

ArunGaur

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2009, 08:31:01 pm »

Quote from: coles
The term "dumping ground" is probably best reserved for things like toxic waste or defective drugs or toys. It probably does not apply to the availability of a particular model of camera.

Probably!
Cheers.

Arun Gaur

Visit My Website

ArunGaur

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2009, 08:37:33 pm »

Quote from: Taquin
Hello again Arun. I have had a good sleep and am ready for a rant.
People who have never worked in large corporations often don't realise that when an organisation becomes large enough to occupy a multi-floor building it effectively splits in two. The first group is competent and thoughtful in what they do and their efforts are nicely counter-balanced by the second group consisting of the deeply ignorant, the wildly incompetent,  the sex crazed and those whose brains are addled by drugs and alcohol. Here are some examples.
Canon. Wow. Some senior execs have been hitting the sake or spending their days chasing secretaries.
Pentax. Someone in management has a  knowledge of digital cameras summed up by their question “what colours shall we make it in?”
Acer. I have one of their laptops. It works really well. But the person responsible for their model range has been on lsd. When not dreaming up new models they spend their time under the desk hiding from the purple crocodiles living in the water-cooler.
Sony India. Someone had another business lunch that ended at 3 am in a bar and though it a good idea to “enhance” their marketing.
There are no unethical plots. Just massive corporate bungling and collective managerial arm-flailing. (Witness Adobe's international pricing structure). And any cover-ups are not to hide the deed but to hide the stupidity.

I once had a (short) job selling computers with a large international purveyor of business machines. They were into photocopiers and thought computers would be a money spinner. I was flown interstate for  a week long training consisting of pep talks by senior managers. Only once did I ever get to see this wondrous machine. It then became apparent that no-one knew how to turn it on. This arcane knowledge was possessed by a tech chap on the fourth floor. On arriving back I was given a desk and a phone book. No-one bothered to let me know the numbers to dial to get an outside line.
I like the way you handle colour and composition. Remember, we may be slower, but the only really interesting people are over 50.  
David

Edit: I look forward to seeing the new pictures

David, can sleep do that?
Yours is a wondrous piece of creative and edifying rant.
Please provide more of such rants after such sleeps. They remind of the tenor of Jonathan Swift, mediaeval but brilliant. Thanks also for accepting vagaries of my age.

Regards,
Arun Gaur

Visit My Website
Pages: [1]   Go Up