Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom 3.0 Beta Now Available!  (Read 52661 times)

Doyle Yoder

Lightroom 3.0 Beta Now Available!
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2009, 09:12:10 am »

They have brought the force to colorsync bug back with the LR 3 beta.

I will never understand the Adobe Lightroom team. Why after all the issues with the print module forcing colorsync in the drivers instead of No Correction do they continue to release software like this. I would have thought you would have learned their lesson with LR2.3RC and then when they fixed this with the 2.3 final release.

The current version of LR and the current version of PSCS4 do not have this problem. They properly turn off color management in the printer driver when application manages color is selected. So why release this LR3 beta bringing back the old behavior of forcing colorsync once again in the driver.

Doyle

rosemanbridge

• http://
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2009, 09:22:40 am »

Deleted. Just seen the update re LR3 tutorial on LL.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 09:26:14 am by rosemanbridge »

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2009, 10:00:09 am »

Any truth to the rumor (that I just made up) that LR 4.0 will have a mirror lockup button, and the Canon 5D mark IV will have soft proofing?  
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

francois

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2009, 10:06:09 am »

Quote from: EricM
Any truth to the rumor (that I just made up) that LR 4.0 will have a mirror lockup button, and the Canon 5D mark IV will have soft proofing?  
This is correct but I've also heard that you'll have to purchase Lightroom 4.0 AND 5D Mark iV at the same time to get those features. Upgrades will not be eligible for the MLU menu item.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 10:06:26 am by francois »
Francois

Jeremy Payne

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2009, 10:10:07 am »

« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 09:56:16 pm by Jeremy Payne »

Scott O.

• Photography by Scott and Joyce
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2009, 11:50:45 am »

I had hoped version 3 would include the ability to use layers...for compositing and panoramas.  Then I could dump Photoshop completely!

jpegman

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2009, 12:20:45 pm »

Quote from: madmanchan
And in general, folks, please ... it's an early public beta. It's not feature complete. I understand some of you are not happy with what's not available at the moment, but I do genuinely believe it would be more productive and constructive to discuss the things that are there.

Eric

In LL beta review - Michael says "What we do know is that LR3 Beta is a 64 bit application and runs in this mode under Mac OSX 10.5 and 10.6, and Windows 64 bit systems, including Windows 7. " this implies those with 32 bit systems are either out or limited!

Jpegman

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2009, 12:25:51 pm »

Interesting beta.
I’m not sure what to make of it so far. It doesn’t seem to have any ‘wow must buy it’ features so far.
Faster performance ? not here, but then it’s a beta so all bets are off…
Better importing ?.... I never had a problem with the old UI anyway.
The new custom printing package is welcome and will save using the hacks, but lacks the ability to put photo info data or any other custom text on the page, so doesn’t really cut it fully yet. Hopefully this will be added for release?

The new noise reduction functions look like being good, and may be the ‘must have’ feature, but it’s difficult to really see how good it is without the luminance option available<d’oh>.

Better de-mosaicing ? Intriguing certainly. There seems to be less jaggies on diagonals and a generally smoother look, but somehow some fine detail is appearing to get a little lost. Evaluation isn’t helped by a subtly different tonal rendition between the two versions. Maybe some clever work with sharpening and contrast enhancement might improve things, but it’s not exactly a clear cut advantage on the files I’ve compared so far.

At first mention a grain effect seemed an odd addition, but some experimentation suggests this might be a really nice feature to have available. Carefully used it seems to take out the ‘digital’ look of some images and give them a more natural look. I’ll need to try printing a few samples out to see if this translates as well to print.

Collections appearing in Develop is great, but is the lack of the quick collection a bug or an omission ?

I would still like the option to backup when starting LR, rather than exiting (too easy to forget to do it or it might slow down shut down).

Overall an improvement, and some useful little tweaks across most of the package, but I think a lot of people were hoping for significantly more. I guess Adobe will keep a lot back to keep us buying 4&5.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 12:36:20 pm by Rhossydd »

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2009, 01:21:35 pm »

Barry, I can assure you that with the new demosaic method in LR 3 public beta, there is zero baseline noise reduction being applied (meaning that when the Color slider is set to 0, color NR is entirely off, and luminance NR is completely off), with the exception of hot/dead pixel elimination. In fact, this property came precisely out of request that you and others have made, coupled with our own internal developments on the engine. If you have an example raw file that you can use to demonstrate your concern, I'd be happy to study it.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 01:22:29 pm by madmanchan »
Eric Chan

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2009, 01:23:22 pm »

Rhossydd, you should be able to access Quick Collections by bringing up the Film Strip at the bottom and choosing the Quick Collections from the popup menu above the thumbnails.
Eric Chan

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2009, 01:26:40 pm »

Quote from: jpegman
In LL beta review - Michael says "What we do know is that LR3 Beta is a 64 bit application and runs in this mode under Mac OSX 10.5 and 10.6, and Windows 64 bit systems, including Windows 7. " this implies those with 32 bit systems are either out or limited!

jpegman, there may be a bit of miscommunication here. Michael was saying that LR 3 public beta is capable of running on those systems. However, LR 3 public beta (and the final release) will also work on 32-bit systems. There is absolutely no intent to lock our or limit users of 32-bit systems.

(I believe the only architecture that LR 2 supported that LR 3 will not support is PowerPC.)
Eric Chan

Rhossydd

« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2009, 01:33:12 pm »

you should be able to access Quick Collections by bringing up the Film Strip at the bottom and choosing the Quick Collections from the popup menu above the thumbnails.
Thanks Eric.
I never work with the filmstrip open, so hadn't looked for it there. I'd expected the quick collection to be listed in the collections box (which seems logical and intuitive to me).

A few features seem to be arriving that aren't easy to find, eg the overall amount of a local adjustment going from a slider to only being accessible by clicking on the pin, or being able to move images in the cropped boxes in the print module by Ctrl drag.

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2009, 01:34:02 pm »

Quote from: barryfitzgerald
Appreciate it's not feature complete, however, I just want to point out distortion and perspective controls are long overdue.

I hear you, Barry. As a photographer and user (not just developer) of LR myself, I want those controls. The most I can say for now is that we are not ignoring the requests. Same goes for some of the other Big Items mentioned in the thread.

Again, I understand that folks will look through the press release and public beta bulletpoint list and check for all of their personal wishlist items. It's what I'd do myself, as a user. But we already know what your wishlist items are. What we don't know is whether or not you like the things we've done in the public beta so far. The other discussion we're having regarding your concerns about baseline NR may be helpful in figuring out what you don't like about the new rendering.
Eric Chan

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2009, 01:35:47 pm »

Quote from: Rhossydd
Thanks Eric.
I never work with the filmstrip open, so hadn't looked for it there. I'd expected the quick collection to be listed in the collections box (which seems logical and intuitive to me).

A few features seem to be arriving that aren't easy to find, eg the overall amount of a local adjustment going from a slider to only being accessible by clicking on the pin, or being able to move images in the cropped boxes in the print module by Ctrl drag.

Hi Rhossydd, I believe the Collections in Develop was intended to work the same way as it does in the other 4 modules, i.e., since Quick Develop doesn't show up in Collections in Library module, it doesn't show up there in Develop module, either. My understanding is that Collections was intended to show the user-created collections (i.e., your personal collections).
Eric Chan

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2009, 01:42:52 pm »

Quote from: jmccart
I'll be switched if I'm heading down that road again.

So, I guess that means you haven't downloaded and used the beta 3 huh...ok, well that's not terribly useful...

For the rest of you folks re-read what Mike and Eric have said...(or let me repeat it)

THIS IS AN EARLY BETA....

THERE ARE STILL MANY FEATURES YET TO BE FINISHED AND ADDED...

WE CAN'T TELL YOU WHAT ALL IS YET TO COME BUT IT WOULD BE FOOLISH TO PRESUME THAT THIS BETA IS ANYTHING LIKE WHAT THE FINAL VERSION WILL HAVE.

IT WOULD BE USEFUL TO CONCENTRATE ON DISCUSSING WHAT IS THERE INSTEAD OF WHAT ISN'T YET.

And the best place to discuss is really at the Lightroom Beta 3 Forums.

Rhossydd

« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2009, 01:55:30 pm »

I believe the Collections in Develop was intended to work the same way as it does in the other 4 modules,
Yes, I've worked that out ;-) Although I've never understood why the quick collection is regarded as a separate concept from the saved ones.

Maybe someone would like to consider that using a quick collection to just gather together images that may need some work or a quick print job after import and review without having to save it as a 'proper' collection might be a beneficial workflow addition. It's half way there now and I can't see any reason why it shouldn't be added to the normal collections box.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 02:03:30 pm by Rhossydd »

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2009, 02:29:23 pm »

Hi Rhossydd, I don't know the thinking behind it. For myself, though, I guess I never considered that because whenever I want to use Quick Collection, I just use the shortcuts: B to add/remove an image from QC, Cmd-B (or Ctrl-B ) to switch to or switch out of QC, and Cmd-Shift-B (or Ctrl-Shift-B ) to clear the QC. I do use the QC all the time for organization but prefer to use the shortcuts, because that way I can keep the left panel hidden and maximize screen space.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 02:29:44 pm by madmanchan »
Eric Chan

mtomalty

• http://www.marktomalty.com
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2009, 02:39:15 pm »

Quote from: EricM

I had heard it is there is 3.0 but,currently,  unreleased as it interferes with the 5DMkll's cream dispenser.

Apparently it's going to be wireless MLU

wtlloyd

« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2009, 02:48:11 pm »

I think I am seeing an increase in intuitiveness to Lightroom with this version....an effort has been made to clarify further the distinction between what the database (Lightroom) is seeing, and what the file system actually holds.

Toward this end, in regard to keywording, I dearly wish that the keyword tag panel would show the string, or hierarchy, of the words applied. Alphabetical listing does not allow the user to see in a glance which root categories and following chain of specific words within are applied.

Is this something that could be done, or to forestall argument, could there be a choice of how the listings are displayed?

Jeremy Payne

« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2009, 03:28:43 pm »

« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 09:56:55 pm by Jeremy Payne »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up